What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NSW Game 2 Lineups?

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Can somebody with some time and some statistical ability go through this thread so far and tally up the number of times players have been named for each position in this thread to create what LU's NSW team would look like by most voted? I'm at work so I can't do it at the moment

Screw it, I've got a day off I'll do this.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Can I ask why so many people are picking Gidley on the bench?

When he comes on, where does he play? Hooker? If so, why not pick a hooker on the bench instead of Gidley?

Can't be worse than having a centre on the bench.

I wish we still had Craig Wing. Now there is the perfect #14.

Gaba

First Grade
Brownie a must be included as assistant coach nsw needs a coach with game plans , Brownie gets a big A+ from me

franklin2323

Immortal
Hayne
Morris
Jennings
Lyon
Morris
Sutton
Soward
White
Ennis
Weyman
Gallen
Watmough
Lewis

Waterhouse
Learoyd-Lars
Mason
O'Donnell

The 1/2's we need new players last night they had no idea. The past 2 season Soward and Sutton have led try assists so play them in SOO

Zigwaa

Bench

When he comes on, where does he play? Hooker? If so, why not pick a hooker on the bench instead of Gidley?

He's a utility, can cover anywhere in the backline as well as hooker/backrow.

Covers for injury as well as someone who needs a spell.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade

Preston Campbell should have been the number 14 for about five years now.

chrisD

Coach
All the backs and hooker should be playing 80 minutes, in case of injury there'd be Lewis and Lyon to shuffle about, Gidley is trash, play four forwards off the bench, O'Donnell and Mason.

Good to see Hayne, Morris, Lyon, Jennings, Monaghan/Tahu combination seems to be the most popular now.

Special K

Coach

Because sadly it is a fact of life that he will get picked. He shouldn't... But he will.

He is the state version of daniel fitzhenry

BLKOUT!

Juniors
1So I tallied the votes, the top selections were pretty clear cut. Highest vote getters were (slight margin of error, maybe a few votes. I didn't count bench votes or incomplete squad lists)

Brett Morris: 67 votes
Jamie Lyon: 63 votes
Jarryd Hayne: 56 votes
Anthony Watmough: 52 votes
Paul Gallen: 46 votes

Lowest:

Michael Gordon: 1 vote
Nathan Merritt: 1 vote
Joel Monaghan: 1 vote
Preston Campbell: 1 vote
Kurt Gidley/Luke Burt: 2 votes

First Team:

1: Jarryd Hayne
2: Brett Morris
3: Jamie Lyon
4: Michael Jennings
5: Timana Tahu
6: Terry Campese
7: Brett Kimmorley
8: Michael Weyman
9: Michael Ennis
10: Kade Snowden
11: Anthony Watmough
12: Luke Lewis
13: Paul Gallen

Seconds:

1: Josh Dugan
2: Michael Jennings
3: Josh Morris
4: Timana Tahu
5: Jarryd Hayne
6: Trent Barrett
7: Mitchell Pearce
8: Josh Perry
9: Robbie Farah
10: Tom LL
11: Nathan Hindmarsh
12: Trent Waterhouse
13: Ben Creagh

Lowest votes:

1: Kurt Gidley
2: Nathan Merritt
3: Beau Champion
4: Joel Monaghan
5: Michael Gordon
6: Luke Lewis | Preston Campbell (tied)
7: Trent Barrett
8: Jason King
9: No third hooker picked
10: Justin Poore
11: Tom LL
12: Luke O'Donnell
13: Greg Bird

Stewie

Juniors
Because sadly it is a fact of life that he will get picked. He shouldn't... But he will.

He is the state version of daniel fitzhenry

Yeah, that's the only reason I put Gidley on my bench. I know that the selectors will name him regardless because they need to try to justify giving him the captaincy in the first place. Dropping him would only admit they were wrong putting so much faith in him.

Springs

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Tahu
4. Lyon
5. Minichiello/Grothe/Uate (Just pick a right winger at right wing!)
6. Soward (Don't know what he has done wrong or why he is out of favour, people say he isn't experienced or a big game player but how is Sutton, Campese etc? Surely the five-eighth in the team leading the comp would be better than a lock or centre there?)
7. Kimmorley
8. Bailey (Solely on the fact that on the runs/run metres stat columns we pass 3 QLD props (+Gallen) before we reach a NSW prop, and that prop is Bailey).
9. Buderus (Once again I would seriously bring him back over Farah or Ennis)
10. Cross
11. Hindmarsh (C)
12. Gallen
13. Lewis

14. Campbell (Stuff Gidley)
15. Watmough
16. Galloway
17. Weyman
18. Mannah
19. Ryan

Gidley was useless, Cooper was terrible, Perry was soft, Hindmarsh is Waterhouse doubled, Hindmarsh+Gallen+Lewis= Four Nations winning backrow. No need for Creagh and Idris.

Last edited:

Butters

Bench
Hayne
B Morris
Jennings
Lawrence
Dugan
Campese
Kimmorley (C)
White
Ennis
Douglas
O'Donnell
Gallen
Bird

TLL
Mason
Cross
Carney

No more pretty boy forwards who let Qld smash them, this forward pack (+ Campese) would be throwing punches and elbows if a Qlder so much as dares look at them funny.

No more old timer backs who need a walking frame to get out onto the field. (Tahu, Cooper & Lyon)

No more sh*t players in general. (Gidley)

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
First Team:

1: Jarryd Hayne
2: Brett Morris
3: Jamie Lyon
4: Michael Jennings
5: Timana Tahu
6: Terry Campese
7: Brett Kimmorley
8: Michael Weyman
9: Michael Ennis
10: Kade Snowden
11: Anthony Watmough
12: Luke Lewis
13: Paul Gallen

Team is acceptable, with either or both Mason and O'Donnell on the bench.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
While I'm not a particularly big fan on Gidley, I do not think Ennis is an 80 minute player in Origin. He made a lot of tackles and basically offered nothing in attack as a result. Farah on the bench would work, but the selectors are homo for Gidley and he does provider greater utility value.

Pearce was hands down going to be the Blues halfback before injury. Again, I'm not a huge fan, but it's obvious that he has some talent and is a competitor. For the sake of NSW's long-term success, I reckon they should select Pearce and continue to select him unless he's injured. If he proves completely incapable in three consecutive games or in four out of six matches, then mark him "Never Again" and he and Anasta can console each other whenver Origin rolls around. I didn't Pearce was playing again this weekend ... with a game or two under his belt, I think they shoudl go ahead and select him for Game 2. Kimmorley was only really keeping the spot warm anyway. Shrug.

Gaba

First Grade
Pearce doesnt win hands down he isnt rated because he has been in the nrl for 3 years and has not dominated against good quality opposition.Not one game against good opposition pearce been the better half.

He is only an average half who plays well against poor defensive team when he was selected in the origin all he done was the kick.

Nsw needs an halfback what isnt predictable lets face it pearce is very predictable against the good defensive teams

And those who want hayne to be fullback he will be playing out of position he is an rep winger.

He hasnt played fullback in rep games due to the risk in defense and reading of plays.

He is an attacking invidual player

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
Pearce doesnt win hands down he isnt rated because he has been in the nrl for 3 years and has not dominated against good quality opposition.Not one game against good opposition pearce been the better half.

He is only an average half who plays well against poor defensive team when he was selected in the origin all he done was the kick.

Nsw needs an halfback what isnt predictable lets face it pearce is very predictable against the good defensive teams

And those who want hayne to be fullback he will be playing out of position he is an rep winger.

He hasnt played fullback in rep games due to the risk in defense and reading of plays.

He is an attacking invidual player

The Hayne can't defend Myth returns. Brought to you by the same people who brought you such myths as Cooper can defend.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if others have said this. Anybody that thinks Perry or White deserve another game after last night has to be shot. They were absolutely f**king useless, with Weyman not a whole lot better.

Yes the conditions were tough, but Perry played 31 minutes and made........38 metres. Off 7 carries. FMD that is dreadful. I remember saying through the game that unlike Perry, at least White was active and involved, unfortunately just not very effective - 70 metres made off 13 carries as it turns out. Between them they made 108 metres off 20 carries and missed 5 tackles. Not one off-load between them either.

As a result of that, we had guys like Creagh and Waterhouse running in the middle trying to do some of the heavy lifting. I'm not a big fan of either but that certainly ain't their game, Creagh especially. The dude makes a living off running at centres and because of our lack of go-forward from our props, we had him going away from the one thing he does effectively (running wide). If we're going to pick these sort of guys, who run wide at club level (with some success), then FFS pick some pigs that will lay the platform. Otherwise fill the back-row with the Hindmarsh and Heighington's of the NRL and try to win ugly, guys that don't have the ability to break the line wide but will tackle their butts off and grunt it up the middle.

So in the never to be selected again pile goes both Perry and White. TLL had a great game I thought so he definitely stays and Weyman stays simply because I don't want to make wholesale changes. Bring in three of Grant, Snowden, Douglas or Galloway (if fit) and give them a crack, but we definitely want that extra prop on the bench.

Kidley for me isn't an Origin fullback - suspect defensively and regularly out of position. He was ok last night sure, but who cares about that if there's better players available? Yeah Hayne is probably out of position more than Kidley but he also creates a hell of a lot more. I'd be happy with Dugan but they're not dropping Hayne so I'll slot him in at the back. Kidley onto the bench to be used to spell Ennis and Idris back to club footy - had more missed tackles (2) than tackles (1).

Lyon should be shuffled back into the centres at Cooper's expense and promote Lewis to 5/8 - thought he had a real dig when he came on. Tahu onto Hayne's wing and Lawrence into the centres - he would have an absolute field day running off Kimmorley (assuming they stick with him). I'd also go with Jennings although I think Lawrence shades him defensively.

So I'd go with:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Lawrence / Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Tahu
6. Lewis
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Grant / Snowden
11. Creagh (much as it displeases me, but I know they'll pick him)
12. Waterhouse (ditto)
13. Watmough

14. Kidley
15. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Snowden / Grant
17. Douglas / Galloway

Players on the scrap-heap: Cooper, White, Perry. Thanks guys, you've all been given your opportunities and have consistently proved to be lacking when it counts.

Players dangerously close: Creagh, Waterhouse, Kidley, Kimmorley (goes without saying).

By making those 4 changes we'd have a solid prop rotation that would actually make yards and hopefully allow Kimmorley some space to find his runners on the fringes, assuming that's the game plan (and when you play Kimmorley, that has to be the game plan because that's what he does best). There's still plenty I don't like in the side but as I said, I'm mindful that they're not making wholesale changes so players like Tahu, Creagh, Waterhouse etc that I personally wouldn't pick kept their places.

chrisD

Coach
I'd have Galloway before I had Grant... and I fkn hate the Tigers and love the Panthers. Not a knock on Grant, he's just nowhere near Origin (maybe one day), and Lewis is no 5/8th.

Raider_69

Post Whore
1. Hayne
2. Monaghan
3. Lyon
4. Morris
5. Morris
6. Campese/Sutton
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Snowden