What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your RD 1 2018 line up

franklin2323

Immortal
My round 1 team has Tamou on the bench. I know RCG really added some impact from the bench but I still think you start with your best props - meaning RCG ahead of Tamou.
If nothing else it may give Tamou an incentive to prove he should start.

I like the logic there. We were terrible starters and great finishers maybe something like this will change that around.

Doddsy6988

Juniors
That's fair. How does Wallace deserve his spot when he was demonstrably slower than Katoa in the Brisbane final (we actually got a chance to compare and Wallace was much worse)
I agree there, but I think that head knock really knocked him around, he prob should not have come back on

maple_69

Bench
Merrin and RCG should both start and should both get back on for the end because they're our best middle forwards. I'd go RCG first 20 and second half and Mez first half and last 20.

I think the main question is how we work around those guys. If Kikau can realise his potential he has to be there at the back end of both halves.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I predicting a break out season for Kikau next year, he was awesome in reggies towards the back end of the Season. I think Latu is going to need to step up.

Karnivayne

Juniors
1.Edwards
2.Mansour
3.Whare
4.Blake
5.DWZ
6.Moylan
7.Cleary
8.Merrin
9.Rein
10.Tamou
11.CHN
12.Yeo
13.Cartwright

14.RCG
15.Kikau
16.Latu
17.Peach/Katoa

mxlegend99

Referee
Peachey cant lose his spot in the team..hes one of our few players with the ability to create something from nothing.

That's pretty crucial to us when our attack is as dodgy as it is.

Not sure how so many people have Whare in ahead of him. His strong game against Sea Eagles was followed up by a piss weak effort against Broncos. He's as reliable defensively as Peachey without the attacking ability.

Just need to spend an off-season with Peachey being taught to pass the ball to Mansour. Blake learned it late in 2017 (setting DWZ up a lot late in the season) after seemingly never wanting to pass it. No reason Peachey can't.

Peachey cant lose his spot in the team..hes one of our few players with the ability to create something from nothing.

That's pretty crucial to us when our attack is as dodgy as it is.

Not sure how so many people have Whare in ahead of him. His strong game against Sea Eagles was followed up by a piss weak effort against Broncos. He's as reliable defensively as Peachey without the attacking ability.

Just need to spend an off-season with Peachey being taught to pass the ball to Mansour. Blake learned it late in 2017 (setting DWZ up a lot late in the season) after seemingly never wanting to pass it. No reason Peachey can't.
Agree as long as Peach can be taught but he is naturally a hog.

This issue has all been caused by the insane contract we gave Whare

franklin2323

Immortal
Agree as long as Peach can be taught but he is naturally a hog.

This issue has all been caused by the insane contract we gave Whare

It takes 12-18 months after an ACL to hit full fitness. So Whare will be better than last season at full strength he is our best back. Assuming he hits that again and the WC will help confidence wise too. He locks up a centre spot. Assuming we see the Blake we did against Canberra then he is the other centre.

Copperhead

Juniors
It takes 12-18 months after an ACL to hit full fitness. So Whare will be better than last season at full strength he is our best back. Assuming he hits that again and the WC will help confidence wise too. He locks up a centre spot. Assuming we see the Blake we did against Canberra then he is the other centre.

He was our best back in the past, but not any more. I think he's our worst back now. He'll undoubtedly improve as he gains confidence in his knee, but I'm with MX, he'd be finding his fitness and form in reserve grade with Blake and Peachey our first grade centres.

franklin2323

Immortal
He was our best back in the past, but not any more. I think he's our worst back now. He'll undoubtedly improve as he gains confidence in his knee, but I'm with MX, he'd be finding his fitness and form in reserve grade with Blake and Peachey our first grade centres.

I mean Whare at Full strength is our best back. We haven't seen that for a few seasons which is why we have this debate

mxlegend99

Referee
I mean Whare at Full strength is our best back. We haven't seen that for a few seasons which is why we have this debate
Even at his best he has never been as damaging at running as Blake and Peachey are. He was great at drawing and passing and a beast in defence.

2017 though our 3 main centres had:

Games Played
Peachey - 25
Blake - 23
Whare - 18

Tries
Peachey - 8
Blake - 7
Whare - 3

Linebreaks
Blake - 13
Peachey - 9
Whare - 4

Linebreak Assists
Whare - 6
Peachey - 3
Blake - 2

Try Assists
Blake - 8
Peachey 3
Whare - 2

Tackles
Peachey - 305 for 56 missed
Blake - 245 for 42 missed
Whare - 174 for 34 missed

All run metres
Peachey - 2949
Blake - 2159
Whare - 1394

Tackle Breaks
Peachey - 87
Blake - 78
Whare - 27

Obviously Peachey played bench quiet a bit to accomodate Whare in the centres. Likewise Blake played a lot of wing early on.

But Blake and Peachey are clear winners in most areas. The area Whare should be the clear winner is defence but like all of our other players even that has been very poor at times.

Im not so sure his injury has anything to do with his poor defence. Nearly every single player in our team has games where they miss 5 or 6 tackles. Its why its ridiculous people give Carty and Peachey shit for it when Whare..Merrin. Tamou. RCG etc. Have all had poor defensive games too.

The fact its so widespread is concerning.

franklin2323

Immortal
Even at his best he has never been as damaging at running as Blake and Peachey are. He was great at drawing and passing and a beast in defence.

2017 though our 3 main centres had:

Games Played
Peachey - 25
Blake - 23
Whare - 18

Tries
Peachey - 8
Blake - 7
Whare - 3

Linebreaks
Blake - 13
Peachey - 9
Whare - 4

Linebreak Assists
Whare - 6
Peachey - 3
Blake - 2

Try Assists
Blake - 8
Peachey 3
Whare - 2

Tackles
Peachey - 305 for 56 missed
Blake - 245 for 42 missed
Whare - 174 for 34 missed

All run metres
Peachey - 2949
Blake - 2159
Whare - 1394

Tackle Breaks
Peachey - 87
Blake - 78
Whare - 27

Obviously Peachey played bench quiet a bit to accomodate Whare in the centres. Likewise Blake played a lot of wing early on.

But Blake and Peachey are clear winners in most areas. The area Whare should be the clear winner is defence but like all of our other players even that has been very poor at times.

Im not so sure his injury has anything to do with his poor defence. Nearly every single player in our team has games where they miss 5 or 6 tackles. Its why its ridiculous people give Carty and Peachey shit for it when Whare..Merrin. Tamou. RCG etc. Have all had poor defensive games too.

The fact its so widespread is concerning.

It is is laterial movement that is the issue. Defence and attack would be affected Mansour was the same in the air. Hopefully he has a good WC and a good pre season so he demands selection much better to have guys in NSW Cup in form then not

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Peachey has to be in the team somewhere. He combines very well with Moylan and always looks dangerous.

Weather it's Centre, in the middle somewhere or off the bench.

He's a must for mine.

Karnivayne

Juniors
Hes a bench utility and good at it. he can cover hooker, 5/8, centre and second row. Naturally hes not a centre but due to injuries the last 2 years has been forced to play there, i actually think he has done really well at centre that shows how diverse and skilled he is, it isnt a slant on his performances without him we would have been in a much worse position both years. If Whare is fit he is a natural defensive centre, it frees Peach up to be an attacking option either at 2nd row or off the bench similar to Craig Wing.

martielang

Bench
Yep - absolutely ridiculous decision.

I don't get this argument. He signed a long term contract on reduced money which was a good result for all involved. If he's good enough, he'll be in the 17. If he's not then he won't be.

30 man squad, you'd probably want more than just Blake & Peachey as your options.

Latest posts