What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your single greatest and worse moment as a supporter.

Knightmare

Coach
yobbo84 said:
What I'd give to have my worst moment as a supporter be a finals loss! Sheesh!

Be careful what you wish for. I'm sure Tigers fans were saying the same thing last year!

Knightmare

Coach
jamesgould said:
Best: Nothing can beat 97, seems to be forgotten these days what massive underdogs we were, I didn't think we'd get within 10! 01 was fantastic as well, although I did expect us to win that time around (our record with Johns playing that season was almost perfect).

Also in 2001 I saw my first game at the ground, Knights vs Warriors at Ericsson. It was a top game for entertainment, Knights won, and loitering around after the game I got invited into the dressing room! Can still remember walking round getting autographs and chatting to all these players I'd only ever seen on the telly before that day, it was unreal.

Worst: I don't know how any Knights fan could not put the 2000 GF qualifier vs the Roosters here, I was down for months afterwards. I thought we were shoe-ins before the game, we had it in the bag at halftime, we were sending off Butterfield, Matty Johns, Shiels, Fairleigh and Rauhihi, and it turned to custard in 5 minutes. Still have it on tape, rewatched it a few months ago, got me so mad haha.

This year sucked too, but it was more a slow realisation that it was all over and we were hopeless ... not the sudden bullet in the stomach of 2000!

Strange thing is, after that game I had a feeling Newcastle would win the comp the next year. I knew they'd be so keen on revenge the year after, and that they still had the team to win a comp and if faced with another situation like that, they'd learn from experience. Sure enough in 2001, the Knights played calm, controlled football and ground out a win against Cronulla.

Azkatro

First Grade
As a Cowboys supporter...
Best moment is Matt Sing's third try in the first finals game of 2004, I was standing about 25m away and it was just the most jubilant I've felt at a football game.
Worst moment is 2003, at home to Newcastle after finally becoming competitive and enjoying our best season to date with so much promise ... and seeing 0-48 on the Dairy Farmer's scoreboard at half time.

As a Maroons supporter...
Best moment for me personally is Alf's field goal in the game we won 5-4.
Worst moment would be Michael O'Connor's winning conversion in 1991 I think it was.

Back when I was a Broncos supporter...
Best moment is Renouf's classic length of the field try in the grand final of 1992.
Worst moment was the 1994 15-14 loss to Norths in the final. f**king Jason Taylor's ugly mug kicking that field goal.. grr!

The Tank

Bench
slamminsam246 said:
:lol: Shows how many panthers supporters turn up when they are losing, and it was a HOME GAME!!!

12,000 isn't too bad for a losing team.

Best: 2003 GF v Roosters, 2003 Prelim Final v Warriors, 2004 v Manly at Penrith, 2000 v Wests at Penrith, 2004 v Bulldogs at Penrith.

Worst: 2004 Prelim v Bulldogs, 2004 v Roosters at Roosters

jamesgould

Juniors
Knightmare said:
Strange thing is, after that game I had a feeling Newcastle would win the comp the next year. I knew they'd be so keen on revenge the year after, and that they still had the team to win a comp and if faced with another situation like that, they'd learn from experience. Sure enough in 2001, the Knights played calm, controlled football and ground out a win against Cronulla.

I'd always give us a shot with Johns there, but I don't think I was ultra-confident going into 2001.

That 2001 Cronulla game remains one of my all time favourites though ... maybe 3rd behind the 2 grand finals. Such a tough hard game with so many turning points ... and it ended with us totally making up for the disaster of 12 months earlier! Cronulla played so well, as well. It was really the Grand Final a week early when you look at how poorly Parramatta played the next week!

jamesgould

Juniors
fatshark said:
1988 what a year minor premiers. Great team.

94 Beaten by Manly in semis-shocker

If you're talking about Sharks vs Manly finals losses then you must mean either 1995 (Manly run Cronulla down after being behind by 12 points in the second half), or 1996 (Manly win 24-0 in one of the big finals shut-outs).

Pantherjim.

Referee
Best Moments: It's an absolute coin toss between the 1991 Grand Final and the 2003 Grand Final. Being victories for Penrith on Both occassions, they equally had their merits. 1991 was special, as it was our very first Premiership. Not to mention the first time I'd attended a Grand Final. I was, however, only 17 at the time, so I kind of took it for granted. I had also more or less expected the victory and arrogantly assumed that the Winfield Cup was ours before kick-off, as I thought: "Canberra had beaten us in last years Grand Final, and there's no-way they were going to get us again!" 2003 was special in the sense that I was older (29) and wiser to appreciate it more. It was also kind of unexpected. i.e. everyone was writing us off and expected us to choke. - Certainly made the victory a lot sweeter. Being older, I actually took more time to soak up the atmosphere at Telstra stadium, before, during and after the game. We went down to the fence near the touchline afterwards to watch the boys do their lap of honour - that was a fantastic sight to behold! Celebrating with other Penrith supporters on the way back to Olympic Park train station, and at Panthers afterwards was awesome!

Worst Moments: Ben Alexander's death, (We cried at his funeral) and the subsequent departures of Brandy and M.G. Penrith jumping on the Superleague bandwagon would be a close second. Losing the 1990 Grand Final to Canberra would be the third.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I still dislike the SFS after watching the Warriors and Kiwis get absolute floggings there in '02/'03. The '02 GF loss was pretty horrible too.
Best would have been beating Brisbane for the first time in '01, and smashing the Dogs in the '03 semi.

SunkenEyes

Juniors
Best : Warriors Vs Bulldogs 03 - Just after when Motu Tony got out there and the Warriors played one of their best 20 mins of footy i have ever seen (16all to 42-16). Faumuinas try was by far my favourite from that night.

Worst - Losses in 04 to the roosters, tigers and the cowboys.

northwest9

Juniors
best - being a kid and not really following any particular team and just watching the players who seemed to be super human. Mal, Artie, roycie, blocka, sirro, cheif and carroll etc etc. as a kid i just couldnt imagine what it must have been like to be them. it seemed more special back then. now im older and know more about the game, the fairy tale has disappeared.

worst - the bad media surrounding the game of late. coffs, mini and gasnier, rebecca wilson, lance thompson, Medical bill williams and his driving. unfortunately the papers spend more time on these sorta things than the good things our game does, like the players who do a bit around the community and the like. damn it, i should be a journo doing my bit for the good of rugby league.....

circling eagle

Juniors
Worst- The merger, stuck with them but it was a souless group of players forced to co-exist.
1997 GF, havent seen it since and refuse to watch it or highlights. Finding out 3 players were on roids including the man of the match just made it worse.

Best- Most things Cliffy Lyons did, the man was amazing. And of course the 96 final, how many other teams have won an Optus Cup :)

Knightmare

Coach
circling eagle said:
Worst- The merger, stuck with them but it was a souless group of players forced to co-exist.
1997 GF, havent seen it since and refuse to watch it or highlights. Finding out 3 players were on roids including the man of the match just made it worse.

The substance the O'Davis was on was fully legal in '97. It wasn't outlawed until the following season, and both he and his fitness trainer were unaware of it until it was too late.