What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your starting team for 2011

strider

Post Whore
I just dont think that Mitchell has the build to play NRL week in and week out.

He needs a massive off season and will need to put on some weight and build up his body size

I reckon it looks like he's trying to do just that ... i reckon this is a decent set of guns and shoulders for a small guy ...

eels--16--600x400.jpg

caylo

Bench
I just dont think that Mitchell has the build to play NRL week in and week out.

He needs a massive off season and will need to put on some weight and build up his body size

He is bigger than mort and alot of other guys in the nrl. Preston and marsh never had trouble with their size but guys like marshall and t.smith have often struggled physically even thou they have over 10kg on some of the smaller halves.

boxhead

First Grade
Good to hear that abouts Ants Staggs!!!
2011 could very well be a year where some of our younger talents make their mark on the NRL, such as Anthony Mitchell, Tom Humble, Jacob Loko, even (maybe) Brad Murray.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Good to hear that abouts Ants Staggs!!!
2011 could very well be a year where some of our younger talents make their mark on the NRL, such as Anthony Mitchell, Tom Humble, Jacob Loko, even (maybe) Brad Murray.

I wouldn't get too excited on a couple of those you mentioned..not yet anyway.

The Colonel

Immortal
All I hope is that Anthony Mitchell misses out on the ROTY award..... our luck with such players outside of Hayne has been poor. Mitchell is IMO one of the better passers of the ball from dummy half in the NRL. He also knows when and when not to run. He will be the starting 9 by season end.

bartman

Immortal
Mitchell did enough in Firsts last year to show he can handle NRL. He'll only be better with the off-season training and more game time by the end of next year.

As for getting overexcited about guys like Loko starting in first grade...? Pele looked like a world beater in one first grade trial at Gosford a year ago... trials and training don't mean much really in terms of whether they are an asset or liability in a real game of NRL.

I'd prefer we weren't desperate enough to throw a debutante into our Round 1 starting backline, but as Suity said, if SK thinks Loko's up to it then so be it.

Jason70

Juniors
1. Humble
2. Burt(sorry Sefton)
3. Whatuira
4. Reddy
5. Walker
6. Hayne
7. Murray
13. Horo
12. Smith
11. Hindmarsh
10. Moi Moi
9. Mitchell
8. Poore

14. Mortimer
15. Lasalo
16. Shackleton
17. Mannah

Hayne basically plays 5/8 in attack anyway and he can play fullback in defense so that we dont lose the benefit of his kick return game and have some time off in attack allowing Humble to step up. We need our best players in first grade and Humble has to be in team. This allows Mortimer to interchange with Mitchell, cant have Mitchell, Mortimer and Murray on field at once, 2 many spot players for opposition attack. On paper we don't look to bad, still some depth with Reni, Webb, Hicks, Robson and Keating playing for Wenty. Maybe the hysteria is for nothing, time will tell.

Noise

Coach
1. He's a back-rower. Why they keep playing him on the wing is beyond me tbh.

2. Coaching issue IMO. We were this close to signing him, and he was keen. Then it all went to crap.

I don't think we need him - we have depth in the back-row and even wingers. But I'd still love to have him back. We are yet to see the best of the big man.

From what im hearing Hasler will be playing him in the back row as well as the outside backs this season

SeftonBoy

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Reddy
4. Whaturia
5. Walker
6. Mortimer
7. Robson
13. Horo
12. Smith
11. Hindmarsh
10. Moi Moi
9. Keating
8. Poore

14. McGuire
15. Shackelton
16. Mannah
17. Webb

Think SK will go with 2 genuine front rowers off the bench, a backrower, a the versatile McGuire who'll prededomantily play interchange hooker. Interesting to see when Matuia comes back. If he plays lock it will leave Horo/Shackelton/Webb fighting for the bench spot.
Think SK will start with Keating/McGuire originally with Mitchell a good chance to replace either early if they don't perform.
Robson/Mortimer will get first crack as there isn't much better at the moment with FG experience. Murray/Humble could come into calcultions if the 2010 form continues.
Burt will get first crack at the wing spot but IMO should be left out for Hicks. Walker deserves the other wing spot as he's a genuine finisher.
Reddy & Wahturia pick themselves at this stage unless Loko can shock the NRL early.
Hayne is a fullback IMO not a 5/8. He can play both roles at times through the game but picking him at 5/8 will nullify those blistering breaks he makes from the back like he did in the Penrith game in 2010. Weakening one position to strengthen another is not the thing to do. The fullback probably has become more important than a 5/8 in the spine these days anyway.

Saying that we'll finish bottom 8 & unleash next year to buy a decent halfback & centre in 2012.

hindy111

Post Whore
1 hayne
2 burt
3 hicks
4 walker - ( reddy and whatuira once fit )
5 loko
6 humble
7 mortimer
8 poore
9 robson
10 moi moi
11 hindy
12 smith
13 horo

14 mitchel
15 mannah
16 webb
17 shacks/reni/ohanlon/lassalo

hindy111

Post Whore
Just for me robson looked good at hooker so id have him there.And id like to go into the season with a diff combo than robson and morts so humble mixes it up a little.Im not fussed who plays where. When mitchel comes on you can take morts or humble off and put robo there for his second stint anyone heard much about Matt keating in the offseason? for me he still has plenty of ability.Behind Hayne the best kick as well as i wont rule him out yet(possible even as a 5/8) I think we have lots of depth in backrow and reni could also be an option at 5/8 or centre.IF loko and filiga can proove there first graders we could have some real line breaking players with lots of strike power.Lets face it-reddy-burt-walker-phats -hicks arent going to run over people!!!

Bazal

Post Whore
Hicks will. It's amazing how many people must have never seen him play? Condemning the signing, acting like he's a second string player...Chris Hicks is the best outside back we have for 2011, make no mistake.

Latest posts