What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your starting team for 2011

Avenger

Immortal
I would go:

1. Hayne

2. Burt

3. Reddy

4. Loko

5. Hicks

6. Maitua

7. Mortimer

8. Mannah

9. Mitchell

10. Poore

11. Hindmarsh

12. Ben Smith

13. Horo

14. McGuire

15. Webb

16. Moimoi

17. Shackelton

parra pete

Referee
I'm amused at those selecting Loko.
No, really, I am.

Suity

He would want to have improved tremendously in the past couple of months. I reckon he would struggle in NSW Cup at this stage of his development, let alone NRL. He has potential, but having potential does not equate to being ready for first grade.
Best way to cruel a kid is promote him too early. Is he 18 yet?

Suitman

Post Whore

Why not?
The only people talking him up are those on here.

Not denying that he has potential, because I know he has, But fair dinkum, I ain't picking him in the top grade yet.
If SK decides he's worth a chance.......so be it. I'll trust his judgement.

Suity

Avenger

Immortal
No doubts there but we can't rush him.
Hayne was a freak it his age. Still is a freak. But Loko is more a power type player, it will take him more time IMO.

Hayne is only second to Kenny as the best player we have ever produced imo. (I did not consider Sterling as technically he is not a Parra Junior). Hayne would slot into any greatest Eels side and when he retires will be remembered as our greatest ever fullback surpassing even Ken Thornett.

caylo

Bench
I'd take Tony Williams back in a heartbeat tbh.

I think Williams has all the physical attributes to be very good but lacks a few things

1. He doesn't have the brain for the NRL. Watch him play, always comes inside, doesn't run at the gaps and too often is found in the wrong position.

2. He lacks the effort, only ever runs half pace and doesn't do the little things required.

For these reasons he isnt ever going to be more than an average NRL player and I would prefer a Reddy over Williams every day of the week.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Williams has all the physical attributes to be very good but lacks a few things

1. He doesn't have the brain for the NRL. Watch him play, always comes inside, doesn't run at the gaps and too often is found in the wrong position.

2. He lacks the effort, only ever runs half pace and doesn't do the little things required.

For these reasons he isnt ever going to be more than an average NRL player and I would prefer a Reddy over Williams every day of the week.

1. He's a back-rower. Why they keep playing him on the wing is beyond me tbh.

2. Coaching issue IMO. We were this close to signing him, and he was keen. Then it all went to crap.

I don't think we need him - we have depth in the back-row and even wingers. But I'd still love to have him back. We are yet to see the best of the big man.

Stagger eel

Staff member
He may well do buddy, but I'm not holding any hope or positive vibes re this signing.
Big step from ESL to NRL. Plus, he'll be playing outside the same halves pairing (initially) that screwed our backline this year.
I'm just breathing deeply and staying calm at this stage with no expectations of anyone.
I have only hope that our new coach will get the best out of the old hacks that we have purchased. The potential is there. The proof will be in the Christmas Pudding.

Suity

look I'm definitely under no illusions about upcoming season, infact i'd go as far as saying that this could be the poorest squad since 1995 which frightens the sh*t out of me..I hope I'm proven wrong but our overall 2011 build up has been a massive c**k up of epic proportions.

Why not?
The only people talking him up are those on here.

Not denying that he has potential, because I know he has, But fair dinkum, I ain't picking him in the top grade yet.
If SK decides he's worth a chance.......so be it. I'll trust his judgement.

Suity

I would of carried the same opinion suity had I not spoken to H and Brad Arthur about him the other week..but i definitely wouldn't start without atleast seeing some trial; form at that level, I may tell you by feb 27 whether I'd start loko..

Craig Johnston

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Whatuira
4. Tahu (he'll be back no doubt)
5. Reddy
6. Maguire
7. Mortimer
13. Horo
12. Smith
11. Hindmarsh (c)
10. Poore
9. Keating
8. Mannah

14. Mitchell
15. Maitua
16. Moimoi
17. Shackleton

Stagger eel

Staff member
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Whatuira
4. Tahu (he'll be back no doubt)
5. Reddy
6. Maguire
7. Mortimer
13. Horo
12. Smith
11. Hindmarsh (c)
10. Poore
9. Keating
8. Mannah

14. Mitchell
15. Maitua
16. Moimoi
17. Shackleton

I'll put my house on it that he won't....

boxhead

First Grade
1. He's a back-rower. Why they keep playing him on the wing is beyond me tbh.

2. Coaching issue IMO. We were this close to signing him, and he was keen. Then it all went to crap.

I don't think we need him - we have depth in the back-row and even wingers. But I'd still love to have him back. We are yet to see the best of the big man.

In regards to T-Rex, I believe the reason they play him on the wing is because he is damn near unstoppable near the try-line.
Having someone that huge on the wing has its benefits and negatives....
He scores a lot of Manly's tries generally because if you get him one-on-one or even two-on-one with his opposition out wide, it is near impossible to prevent him scoring.

It is a smart way to ensure you score tries, and one of the reasons I would definitely take T-Rex back in a heartbeat. If a coach was able to get him working harder and not wasting energy on some unecessary facets of the game, he could develop into a much better player. He is probably one of the more feared wingers in the NRL because of how big he is, putting that to use in the back-row if you could get him to work hard would also be beneficial.

Latest posts