What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team 2019

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree. We need to focus on a couple of things which I think Cleary is doing:-

1. Managing the cap.
2. Developing a good squad.

It all comes down to recruitment and retention. Last year we lost 3 supposedly top players. The reality is that only the Turd is a top player. We tend to overpay players like Benji, Robbie and Woods and others like Moses and Brooks and we need to turn that process around. Now Brooks is to me definitely worth what he is on now but we've overpaid Packer and probably Reynolds.

The thing is Nofo and Thompson to me are players that can fill a first grade spot and do it pretty well. If you watched Saints yesterday their forwards - mainly Sims and Frizell - just tore Brisbane apart. I think our focus needs to be on our pack and our centres. I'm not sure if Marsters is going to make it as a centre and Fonua already looks too slow defensively.

If we get Matterson I think our edge forwards are decent but we need an impact middle forward and we might need two centres.

Marsters might come good but he needs to work on his defence and develop some consistency in his attack. Fonua is a weapon at times but we can't carry a guy who is always going to get caught out defensively. Maybe play Fonua as an impact prop.
This has been said many times, but top shelf players are not coming here at this stage unless you pay them overs, however we are improving and it is my understanding that the cap must be spent, so it appears we are still gambling on a mix of good (not great) & development players.
Whether you want them here or not, I wouldn't expect Marshal and Farah to come here for below minimum salary and not sure the NRL would ratify there contracts on that basis anyway.
If we can get some consistency, we would have been in the top 8 this year.

Tiger05

First Grade
This has been said many times, but top shelf players are not coming here at this stage unless you pay them overs, however we are improving and it is my understanding that the cap must be spent, so it appears we are still gambling on a mix of good (not great) & development players.
Whether you want them here or not, I wouldn't expect Marshal and Farah to come here for below minimum salary and not sure the NRL would ratify there contracts on that basis anyway.
If we can get some consistency, we would have been in the top 8 this year.

I honestly think that Marshall and Farah are borderline first graders at this point. They can both clearly still play good footy but throughout the season they tend to have really poor moments. They should be getting paid like that and allow us some cap room to purchase some better players. As back-ups they are great options.

I agree that consistency is important but most clubs will have some down periods in the season. Ours just lasts longer than the top teams.

gordsy

Juniors
I honestly think that Marshall and Farah are borderline first graders at this point. They can both clearly still play good footy but throughout the season they tend to have really poor moments. They should be getting paid like that and allow us some cap room to purchase some better players. As back-ups they are great options.

I agree that consistency is important but most clubs will have some down periods in the season. Ours just lasts longer than the top teams.

As if the NRL or Rlpa would allow a contract that says a club can only pay players based on how well they perform each week. Say no to drugs.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Farah was still pretty good, and pretty bad, not much in between. I’m hoping next year is all about transitioning between he and Liddle where after round 16 or so Lids and starting and Robbie’s coming on for a 20min cameo.

Benji was horrible after about round 7. He really shouldn’t have played on. He had 5 try assists all year FFS

gordsy

Juniors
Well he did score 2 aswell, and they were both solo efforts. Not bad from 5 games (3 off the bench)
That was 2018. In 2017 he had one try for the whole year according to total stats. We desperately need him to produce the 2018 numbers {In bigger volumes}, If he has another year where he is out for most of the year then we are stuffed and have wasted over 1.5mill in cap space as well.

Tiger05

First Grade
As if the NRL or Rlpa would allow a contract that says a club can only pay players based on how well they perform each week. Say no to drugs.

Your comment makes no sense at all. That is exactly how players get paid. If they play inconsistent footy they won't get top dollar contracts.

You definitely need to say no to drugs.

Tiger05

First Grade
Farah was still pretty good, and pretty bad, not much in between. I’m hoping next year is all about transitioning between he and Liddle where after round 16 or so Lids and starting and Robbie’s coming on for a 20min cameo.

Benji was horrible after about round 7. He really shouldn’t have played on. He had 5 try assists all year FFS

They were great at times weren't they. The problem is the poor is really poor. I think Benji was busted after a certain period of time. He just didn't look physically capable. Robbie looked okay until he turned into captain save the day and played terrible footy.

These guys are simply good back-ups at this stage of their careers.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench

I’m extremely pissed off that Benji has re-signed coz hes nothing more than a mannequin on the field.Who in their right mind would offer Benji a contract based on his meagre offerings.A shrewd coach worth his salt would’ve clearly expressed to Benji it’s time to retire.

To b any chance of playing finals we need a fit & healthy Reynolds at his best in ‘19.We also need Brooks to not b distracted by farcical contract negotiations his f**kwit manager is known to instigate & which is inevitable from nov 1.

Tiger05

First Grade
I’m extremely pissed off that Benji has re-signed coz hes nothing more than a mannequin on the field.Who in their right mind would offer Benji a contract based on his meagre offerings.A shrewd coach worth his salt would’ve clearly expressed to Benji it’s time to retire.

To b any chance of playing finals we need a fit & healthy Reynolds at his best in ‘19.We also need Brooks to not b distracted by farcical contract negotiations his f**kwit manager is known to instigate & which is inevitable from nov 1.

We also need Liddle to fire and keep Robbie out of the team along with improving our forwards and centres.

To be fair as has been mentioned we came 9th and we bought in Mbye late in the season. We may improve just from having Mbye here all season plus Liddle and Reynolds should play a lot more games for us.

Tiger Ted

Bench
We also need Liddle to fire and keep Robbie out of the team along with improving our forwards and centres.

To be fair as has been mentioned we came 9th and we bought in Mbye late in the season. We may improve just from having Mbye here all season plus Liddle and Reynolds should play a lot more games for us.
Finishing 9th this season has no bearing on whether we move in an upwards trajectory on the ladder in subsequent seasons.

We have a history of disappointment & regressing the following season after just missing the 8.

With the squad we have we will need all the stars to align to make the 8.

If we continue to rely on RF & Benji to b in our starting team whether due to injury (Reynolds)or under-performing of other options like Liddle then ‘19 will b another season missing the 8.

Tiger05

First Grade
Finishing 9th this season has no bearing on whether we move in an upwards trajectory on the ladder in subsequent seasons.

We have a history of disappointment & regressing the following season after just missing the 8.

With the squad we have we will need all the stars to align to make the 8.

If we continue to rely on RF & Benji to b in our starting team whether due to injury (Reynolds)or under-performing of other options like Liddle then ‘19 will b another season missing the 8.

You make a good point. We might have a better team next season but will we improve enough to make the 8 ?

I also think we need some better quality players in a couple of positions plus a good run with injuries plus some player to over perform. It's possible but I wouldn't be betting on it.

macnaz

Staff member
I dont have an issue with Benji going around in 2019 as a backup because i totally believe he can happily deal with that.. Robbie on the other hand didnt look to pleased after being replaced in the last game , can his ego deal with more ISP then NRL ? That is what will worry me . BUT thats up to the coach to control , but does he have it in him.

Das Hassler

Bench
I dont have an issue with Benji going around in 2019 as a backup because i totally believe he can happily deal with that.. Robbie on the other hand didnt look to pleased after being replaced in the last game , can his ego deal with more ISP then NRL ? That is what will worry me . BUT thats up to the coach to control , but does he have it in him.

See it the same way....splitting their contribution between on field and helping develop the game of the young guys should be an honourable and privilaged way to go out ....as you say Benji seems enthusiatic about it...Farah is going to sulk at times no doubt which will be fine if he can keep it to himself. Going another year they may well not get the 1st grade sendoff they would hope for ( assuming Reynolds and Liddle are fit and well ) but i'd imagine they're well aware of that.

super_coach

First Grade
Reynolds chances of playing more than 75% of games in 2019 are slim, playing in tandem with Marshall or selective use between Reynolds and Marshall may work.

Like wise with Liddell and Farah, either a horses for courses approach or a tandem approach might also work.

If it was my call I would have encouraged them to retire and used the money on some younger legs but I am also happy for them to have one last shot at the holy grail

gordsy

Juniors
Your comment makes no sense at all. That is exactly how players get paid. If they play inconsistent footy they won't get top dollar contracts.

You definitely need to say no to drugs.
You're idea that we pay them next year based on performance on a game by game method Is Insane.
No player would agree to those terms, especially players like Benji and Robbie who have been around for ages and know we have f^&k all options in the their positions in terms of depth.

Latest posts