What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on our loss

Ant

Juniors
Well I felt it was a very poor second half performance, from about 41 mins to 65 mins we were just terrible. The first half had good and bad moments, but we were competing and in the game. The panthers came out strong in the 2nd half and we just didn't want to be in a physical contest.

However I think talk of wholesale changes is as per usual far too drastic. I also find it interesting that some players are targeted no matter how they performed, yet others seem to be a bit more protected.

There are number of our team who look like they need more footy.

When it comes down to it I don't think any parra player could say they had a great game today. Some players had some great moments, but overall I didn't think anyone really stood up.

But calls for half the premier league side to play first grade, is a joke. If you didn't see signs today why that shouldn;t happen and why first grade is far different to premier league, then you missed out.

Brett Delaney, has had his cause championed on this site, with people demanding his inclusion. I myself felt he could be a good player for us. But he has been nothing more than solid in previous games at centre and in today's game I'd suggest he was poor. Yet he is a premier league star. He is not fast enough to be a first grade centre. His best 2 games were last year, when he was solid. Big difference, he came into an eels side that had everyone fit except for Tahu who he was replacing, and was sitting in 2nd spot. It is far easier for a premier league player to come into a side going well.

Zeb Taia, excellent debut today, although not without fault. Without doubt a strong runner. But gave away a couple of penalties because he just didn't keep up with play. He is used to premier league which is slower, nearly every time he made a tackle he struggled to get into marker in time.

To suggest we just shove all these young fellows in, is like throwing them to the wolves.

The reason some players are so called brian smith favs, or rather the reason they get picked is because they have runs on the board. I actually felt cayless did some ok runs today, when he came on he was charging the ball up. He made some strong tackles. He fell away in the 2nd half but so did every eels foward.

I mean Hindy, he finally got more involved in attack but decided to run sideways, what was doing. He still a lot tackles but he missed a few as well, and too much grabbing not enough shoulder. I felt one his worse games for us.

Which was probably a big issue, in the 2nd half not too many players put their best foot forward.

Ant

Juniors
This follows on from my previous post

So good and bad points out of the game for some players:
- Wade Mckinnons running, he just makes a lot of breaks and half breaks. As for running away from supports, well I actually think he did fine. Penrith chased hard and the supports were generally slower players. Bad well, his usually good defence was poor, defencively he wasn't at his best in any way.
- Peterson, made shocking mistake, other than that tryed hard, but as others have said really just an average player. Looks ok to good in a team playing well, but we aren't.
- Tahu in space looks awesome, looked short of a run. didn't go looking for the ball enough and like others was weak in defence 2nd half
- delaney, basically did nothing
- Grothe, tried hard, looked dangerous, actually one of the few who had a solid game really not too many faults, just not too many stand outs either
- morris, hit some gaps hard did okay at times. still drifts across too much, holds ball too long. Not the worst
- smith, he always does some good thing, but he has some big areas to work on. His defence is just poor, he misses or makes poor attempts probably half the time. He must do some serious work. Wouldn't mind if he did some work with the sprint coach either. Defence and speed are 2 things he lacks. But today he was poor (not aided by the rest of the side), poor kicks, no direction, not enough involvement.
- O'dwyer did ok, but made a few bad reads in defence.
Hindy - read above
Zeb - read above
Stringer - just not quite on song. Making a few small mistakes each game and being found out in lateral defence
Riddell - thought he went ok, probably one of our better players
Tsoulos - another who went ok, but needs to get a bit fitter to play longer, has talent. A bit hard to have him and stringer on field at once, to slow in defence.

Cayless - read above
Vella - not his best game, didn't play hard in attack or defence
Widders - perhaps unfairly criticised, I thought he tried and almost made a few breaks. But he is a player who needs the platform set for him by others.
Perenara - did some good things in attack, but needs to go with timmy to sprint training. Also missed a number of tackles in that 2nd half, struggled with pace of game in defence.

lucablight

First Grade
Ant said:
Well I felt it was a very poor second half performance, from about 41 mins to 65 mins we were just terrible. The first half had good and bad moments, but we were competing and in the game. The panthers came out strong in the 2nd half and we just didn't want to be in a physical contest.

However I think talk of wholesale changes is as per usual far too drastic. I also find it interesting that some players are targeted no matter how they performed, yet others seem to be a bit more protected.

There are number of our team who look like they need more footy.

When it comes down to it I don't think any parra player could say they had a great game today. Some players had some great moments, but overall I didn't think anyone really stood up.

But calls for half the premier league side to play first grade, is a joke. If you didn't see signs today why that shouldn;t happen and why first grade is far different to premier league, then you missed out.

Brett Delaney, has had his cause championed on this site, with people demanding his inclusion. I myself felt he could be a good player for us. But he has been nothing more than solid in previous games at centre and in today's game I'd suggest he was poor. Yet he is a premier league star. He is not fast enough to be a first grade centre. His best 2 games were last year, when he was solid. Big difference, he came into an eels side that had everyone fit except for Tahu who he was replacing, and was sitting in 2nd spot. It is far easier for a premier league player to come into a side going well.

Zeb Taia, excellent debut today, although not without fault. Without doubt a strong runner. But gave away a couple of penalties because he just didn't keep up with play. He is used to premier league which is slower, nearly every time he made a tackle he struggled to get into marker in time.

To suggest we just shove all these young fellows in, is like throwing them to the wolves.

The reason some players are so called brian smith favs, or rather the reason they get picked is because they have runs on the board. I actually felt cayless did some ok runs today, when he came on he was charging the ball up. He made some strong tackles. He fell away in the 2nd half but so did every eels foward.

I mean Hindy, he finally got more involved in attack but decided to run sideways, what was doing. He still a lot tackles but he missed a few as well, and too much grabbing not enough shoulder. I felt one his worse games for us.

Which was probably a big issue, in the 2nd half not too many players put their best foot forward.

I agree with you about Delaney. The way people were raving on about him I was expecting alot more.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ant said:
This follows on from my previous post

So good and bad points out of the game for some players:
- Wade Mckinnons running, he just makes a lot of breaks and half breaks. As for running away from supports, well I actually think he did fine. Penrith chased hard and the supports were generally slower players. Bad well, his usually good defence was poor, defencively he wasn't at his best in any way.
- Peterson, made shocking mistake, other than that tryed hard, but as others have said really just an average player. Looks ok to good in a team playing well, but we aren't.
- Tahu in space looks awesome, looked short of a run. didn't go looking for the ball enough and like others was weak in defence 2nd half
- delaney, basically did nothing
- Grothe, tried hard, looked dangerous, actually one of the few who had a solid game really not too many faults, just not too many stand outs either
- morris, hit some gaps hard did okay at times. still drifts across too much, holds ball too long. Not the worst
- smith, he always does some good thing, but he has some big areas to work on. His defence is just poor, he misses or makes poor attempts probably half the time. He must do some serious work. Wouldn't mind if he did some work with the sprint coach either. Defence and speed are 2 things he lacks. But today he was poor (not aided by the rest of the side), poor kicks, no direction, not enough involvement.
- O'dwyer did ok, but made a few bad reads in defence.
Hindy - read above
Zeb - read above
Stringer - just not quite on song. Making a few small mistakes each game and being found out in lateral defence
Riddell - thought he went ok, probably one of our better players
Tsoulos - another who went ok, but needs to get a bit fitter to play longer, has talent. A bit hard to have him and stringer on field at once, to slow in defence.

Cayless - read above
Vella - not his best game, didn't play hard in attack or defence
Widders - perhaps unfairly criticised, I thought he tried and almost made a few breaks. But he is a player who needs the platform set for him by others.
Perenara - did some good things in attack, but needs to go with timmy to sprint training. Also missed a number of tackles in that 2nd half, struggled with pace of game in defence.

I'd agree to that.

nöyd

Staff member
lucablight said:
I agree with you about Delaney. The way people were raving on about him I was expecting alot more.

I feel the same way. People have built him up so much on these boards that I'm waiting for lightning to shoot from his hands and sparks to fly from his boots everytime he touches the ball :?

Ant

Juniors
In the end what do we need.

Well first and foremost we need out best team.
With, B.Smith, L.Burt ( i know great debate), Robinson, Morrison, fui, and PJ missing from our probably best 17, thats 6 players or just over a 3rd of the side. Now I know there is debate about burt being worthy of our wing spot, but of all the candidates he has at least shown that he can be a good a grade player at times.

Anyway we get a week off to regroup, after that we should have at least morro, fui and robbo back, all will add a lot defencive starch. Morro and fui will add some extra go forward as well.

Its round 5 by the way not the end of the world. We are traditionally slow starters not sure why but we are. Of the brian smith years which have primarily very competitive years ( 7 finals out of 9 chances), we have only once made what I'd call a good start in 98.
2005 2 wins
2004 3 wins
2003 1 win
2002 1 win
2001 3 wins
2000 1 win
1999 3 wins
1998 4 wins
1997 1 win

Now that may not be a good thing but it gives hope.

So I am not happy but once again, we are yet to field a full strength side this year, round 1 we had 2 of our top 17 missing was as close as have got.

Another stat that some may like to look at is our start. We have had 4 losses, those were to the knights 2nd on ladder, Brisbane 7th, NQ 1st and panthers 3rd. Add it up between those 4 sides, they have won 16 lost 4, thats an 80% win ratio.
We have played 1 side in the bottom half of the ladder and we won.

Oh and we have played the games current hot shot teams and I would argue that we have given them both the best run for their money this season. We should have beaten the cowboys and were in the knights game for a long time.

Gee whiz, some people dredge up the comments they were making 2 years ago at the end of the 2004 season, and give them a rerun, just change the name of the young player they think we do much better. Gee round 5 last year we were thumped by brisbane and the knives were out.

Maybe have a little faith. If we play like that still in round 10, then unleash the arsenal that so many seem to have stored up.

Do all fans turn on their side and coach like eels fans, I don't read the other forums.

Suitman

Post Whore
parra pete said:
That's the problem! There isn't anyone. Maybe John Morris perhaps...I don't think Tim Smith is pulling his weight..Could consider PJ Marsh when he returns from injury whenever that is going to be.

Any half back would struggle behind our pack of cream puffs at the moment.

Suity

Our Forwards were a disgrace today....no room for tim to operate at all. Nor room.

Tsoulos and Taia could hold there heads up high but the rest including the great man were nothing!!.

Penrith dominated us in the forwards guys. Our good backline did stand a chance.

the_eel

Juniors
Ant said:
round 5 last year we were thumped by brisbane and the knives were out.

Maybe have a little faith. If we play like that still in round 10, then unleash the arsenal that so many seem to have stored up.

Do all fans turn on their side and coach like eels fans, I don't read the other forums.

Nice call Ant.

I, like everyone, was very disappointed how easily we capitulated in the second half yesterday. But you make some sensible points and with players returning we could get on a role and anything is possible!

_goParra

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
U know nothing about footy shut up.

Watch the game if you dont have a copy I will send you one. Just count the number of touches he had in the entire game.
Tim Smith was doing nothing..... no involvement what so ever.

_goParra

Juniors
I agree that the forwards did not provide enough of a platform. But still Tim was no where to be seen when we were coming out of trouble in our own end and needed a good deep kick down in to panthers territory. Most fifth tackles Tim was standing 3 - 4 passes wide. This season he has been the least involved half backs in the comp in terms of number of touches per set.

Yesterday in the second half we went 4-5 sets without Tim even touching the ball once.

EELMAN JACK said:
i am sorry if this upsets some people but it is my view and thoughts. lets hope that they can get their act together from here on in.

Don't be sorry mate...it is your opinion. If people around here can't accept what was a crap performance then they have got massive problems.

Ant said:
In the end what do we need.

Well first and foremost we need out best team.
With, B.Smith, L.Burt ( i know great debate), Robinson, Morrison, fui, and PJ missing from our probably best 17, thats 6 players or just over a 3rd of the side. Now I know there is debate about burt being worthy of our wing spot, but of all the candidates he has at least shown that he can be a good a grade player at times.

Anyway we get a week off to regroup, after that we should have at least morro, fui and robbo back, all will add a lot defencive starch. Morro and fui will add some extra go forward as well.

Its round 5 by the way not the end of the world. We are traditionally slow starters not sure why but we are. Of the brian smith years which have primarily very competitive years ( 7 finals out of 9 chances), we have only once made what I'd call a good start in 98.
2005 2 wins
2004 3 wins
2003 1 win
2002 1 win
2001 3 wins
2000 1 win
1999 3 wins
1998 4 wins
1997 1 win

Now that may not be a good thing but it gives hope.

So I am not happy but once again, we are yet to field a full strength side this year, round 1 we had 2 of our top 17 missing was as close as have got.

Another stat that some may like to look at is our start. We have had 4 losses, those were to the knights 2nd on ladder, Brisbane 7th, NQ 1st and panthers 3rd. Add it up between those 4 sides, they have won 16 lost 4, thats an 80% win ratio.
We have played 1 side in the bottom half of the ladder and we won.

Oh and we have played the games current hot shot teams and I would argue that we have given them both the best run for their money this season. We should have beaten the cowboys and were in the knights game for a long time.

Gee whiz, some people dredge up the comments they were making 2 years ago at the end of the 2004 season, and give them a rerun, just change the name of the young player they think we do much better. Gee round 5 last year we were thumped by brisbane and the knives were out.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said, having read this maybe i am taking the loss a little to hard..what you say makes sense...thanks mate, i needed to read this...

Dymock

Juniors
I agree with Ant's post - very informative and useful. We can still be competitive this year.

But surely by now time is up for Peterson? Has it occurred to anyone that he might be related to Paul Cariage? Wel thats my gripe...

Bazal

Post Whore
I am sick to death of the stupid, idiotic football Parramatta have been playing. Especially yesterday. That game was there for the taking, all we needed to do was play well enough. Instead we played like a bunch of 8th graders with mental impairments and handed Penrtih a win they should probably never have got, especially with the state of the match at half time.

Wade McKinnon was our best player, don't get me wrong. But some of the things he did were just unbelievable! He raced out of the line for the first try, and Campbell scored the simplest of tries. Had he been back on the line, he saves the try and we at worst have a goal line dropout. He completely ignored support players on several occaisons where tries were there for the taking had we been good enough. His knock on after Gower went down; sure the ref got it wrong, but damn, how hard is it to catch the ball and eliminate the chance of that error?

Matt Petersen. Where was his mind yesterday? He seemed to be convinced the tryline was across the field rather than down it. He almost cost us a try with a shocking defensive read on Rooney, but then made up for it by taking the intercept. Unfortunately, he then thought Shane Rodney had signed for us mid-week and gifted the Panthers a try and the lead. They were never headed from there and we fell apart.

Eric Grothe cost us posession with some silly, silly passes. Not to mention his "defense" for the Hookey try, where he seemed to be running away from the Panthers players.

Tim Smith had an absolute shocker!! The worst game I think he's played for us. There was a period of four or five sets that he didn't touch the ball once, and when he finally did he dropped it. Not to mention his kicking game, the nothing bombs that were too low and too deep, his obsession with running the ball on the last and his embarrassing defense. I don't care how many metres you make, if you are running the ball on the last and don't score, it is a waste of a tactical opportunity. I saw him pass to Hindmarsh, Taia, O'Dwyer, and Stringer on the last, and the centres probably had as many last tackle touches as he did. Then there was his attempted intercept with Penrith running it on the last inside their own half. Had he let the pass go, Hookey is either forced to kick from the sideline or rounded up. Either way we would have had possesion, rather than gifting Penrith a chance to mount yet more pressure.

Nathan Hindmarsh was well below par too. He made errors, missed tackles and was generally a shadow of his usual self. Maybe he needs a rest, hopefully the bye will give him that.

Zeb Taia had a very impressive debut. Knocked on with his first touch but hey, that's how being nervous works. However, he gave away some dumb penalties at crucial times. Hopefully he was just overly keen and they will be out of his game next time around.

Add to that the way the whole side didn't see fit to even try once Gower went down, assuming the game was in the bag....stupid! The way the defense held off on Campbell and Wesser, giving them room to move...stupid!
The constant relieving penalties and errors...stupid!

Every one of the players out there yesterday has the talent and ability to play first grade football, and realistically we should have won, especially ater Penrith lost Gower. They just need to fix their mindset, and fast. Hopefully, with the bye this week, Smithy sits them down and has a long chat about the way they played yesterday, and they come back focused and able to play the way they did in the first half, and carry it on the the rest of the match. Only then will we win any games.