What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Pippen94

First Grade
Langer could barely kick a ball 20 metres

His defence consisting mainly of wrapping his legs around players and tripping them

He had no long passing game of note

He was nifty little player who's small stature gave him an advantage in speed and agility over a short distance when he ran the ball. That was his main strength - he was such a little midget that it was difficult to tackle him

Not a patch on Stuart as a halfback though, to me it's laughable to even put him in the same bracket

Langer won origin matches off his own bat. Stronger defender despite size. Never needed to be hidden like some halves. As a blues fan always feared him on last tackle running ball. Stuart a great player too, but different strengths.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Yeah, Royce was tough as hell but he was keeping out an attacking force like Ben Elias for no go reason. Menzies was a machine; great motor & back up player.
Ben Elias is a piece of shit, maybe the selectors knew that and didn't want him near the side

Pippen94

First Grade
Reminder that Overrated does not mean bad. In fact even deservedly immortal level players can still be overrated.

My list

Jason Stevens
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gidley
Matt Gilett
Corey Parker
Stacey Jones
Sam Burgess
Jess Bromwich
Brent tate
Sonny Bill Williams

Sonny Bill & Burgess carried teams to premierships. Probably best players in world at peak

The_Frog

First Grade
Wtf?! Tedesco is a monster. Maybe most elusive fullback I've seen
You replied to a very old post but he aint all that elusive lately all the same. Still I stand by my point that if he was that good he'd have got the Tigers into the 8.

Pippen94

First Grade
You replied to a very old post but he aint all that elusive lately all the same. Still I stand by my point that if he was that good he'd have got the Tigers into the 8.

Looked dangerous last night. Origin performances will see him go down as atg

Floodwaters

Juniors
Hayne on a team results stand point is 100% the most over rated, he was a serial loser, his two best years were his two rookie seasons lol.

2006 - 8th - lost 1st week of finals
2007 - 5th - lost prelim

2008 - 11th
2009 - 8th - lost GF
2010 - 12th
2011 - 14th
2012 - Spoon
2013 - Spoon
2014 - 10th
2015 - NFL - 49ers turned into a basket case
2016 - Titans playing well, in comes Hayne they go 2-4 and lose first week of Finals.
2017 - 15th - Falling out with coach, Titans back Hayne sack Henry, Hayne then walks out.
2018 - Spoon - after Parramatta coming 4th in 2017 big things were predicted, the side turned to shit.

3 spoons and only 1 top 8 finish as a established player in 10 attempts, not counting 2016 as they were already in the 8 when he arrived and went to shit on his arrival shows he wasn't great for team culture.

Then you go to his NSW record, again probably NSW's best player and the year he won he was Man of the Series but again 1 series win in about 10 attempts lol.

Munky

Coach
He was a good centre. He was raved about like he was some sort of freakish talent. AND he f**ked off to wear pink playing in French rugby so he can ggf

Makes sense he went to France.

Was always in no man's land in defence

Reactions: gUt

mongoose

Coach
Hayne on a team results stand point is 100% the most over rated, he was a serial loser, his two best years were his two rookie seasons lol.

2007 - 5th - lost prelim

2008 - 11th
2009 - 8th - lost GF
2010 - 12th
2011 - 14th
2012 - Spoon
2013 - Spoon
2014 - 10th
2016 - Titans playing well, in comes Hayne they go 2-4 and lose first week of Finals.
2017 - 15th - Falling out with coach, Titans back Hayne sack Henry, Hayne then walks out.
2018 - Spoon - after Parramatta coming 4th in 2017 big things were predicted, the side turned to shit.

3 spoons and only 1 top 8 finish as a established player in 10 attempts, not counting 2016 as they were already in the 8 when he arrived and went to shit on his arrival shows he wasn't great for team culture.

Then you go to his NSW record, again probably NSW's best player and the year he won he was Man of the Series but again 1 series win in about 10 attempts lol.
so you're criticising Hayne because he couldn't win NSW more series' from wing?

Hayne was patchy and a lazy defender but that vein of form he had in 2009 is still the best i've seen from any individual player. Even Turbo couldn't get Manly close to the GF last year and they were a better side than that ragtag bunch of nobodies the Eels had in 2009.

jk13

First Grade

2007 - 5th - lost prelim

2008 - 11th
2009 - 8th - lost GF
2010 - 12th
2011 - 14th
2012 - Spoon
2013 - Spoon
2014 - 10th

yeah....and in those early years we were knocked out by the cheats a few times in the prime of their treachery

nick87

Coach
I’m not sure about being a POS, but he revolutionised how hookers are expected to play.

ah Benny Elias... the homeless man's Steve Walters.

Benny changed the position and was almost immediately surpassed by a player so far superior it was a bit sad for Benny.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Luke Brooks. He probably isn't in the top 16 halfbacks in the game at the moment, and there are 16 teams. Yet Joey Johns won't drop the fact that he might play Origin one day.

Latest posts