What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fair enough if that’s your opinion but my memory of Sironen (Cordner) is a player who always put in and was an automatic origin and national selection for many years so pretty hard to call someone like that overrated.
You basically described Lordner; who the numpties consider to be Captain Overrated :D

Go figure.

dogslife

Coach
1. Josh Jackson
b49944ab69a2b84ea7ed4c045741673b

JokerEel

Coach
Josh McGuire how he is the lock for us is a joke... QLD love right there..

Woods
Chambers
Gallen always picked for NSW but added nothing..
Anasta

Tommy Smith

Referee
Tommy T is rawer than Tommy's fist after a Cordner youtube sesh, yet is already elite. He's a f**king gun, and still has loads of improvement in him
Very true (all of your post).

And yet you still had Rothfield rating Turbo the no.1 fullback in the game prior to 2018. And how many pundits wanted him in the Blues no.1 over Teddy? Even though he still has clear flaws in his defensive game.

He's supremely talented and does some amazing things, but I understand why some would consider him overrated when I hear Matty Johns open his legs and gush forth over him like he's a cross between Billy Slater and Greg Inglis.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Cordner has captained an origin series win and a premiership this year so he’s going ok.

He is rated by those that matter, being coaches and selectors. Not rated so much by numpties who only pay attention to the ball players and the flashy plays that make the highlight reels.

Valheru

Coach
2 x premiership winner
SOO winning captain
Premiership winning captain
MOTM in RLWC final

The above are achievements of boyd cordner.

Not sure how anyone could consider this god among men as overrated.

typicalfan

Coach
Fair enough if that’s your opinion but my memory of Sironen is a player who always put in and was an automatic origin and national selection for many years so pretty hard to call someone like that overrated.
Thats the point isnt it. Take Sironen out and put Josh Jackson in your post and it reads the same. Plenty of players put in, many who put in more imo than Sirro.

I think many butthurt Roosters fans need to do some research into the meaning of the word ‘overrated’...

Well the guys who play alongside him don't think he is over rated. I think I'll take the opinion of his NRL, origin and Australian team mates over yours thanks.

Also I can look in a dictionary just as easily as you can, and on this matter I don't need to thanks.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
I think many butthurt Roosters fans need to do some research into the meaning of the word ‘overrated’...

I think some non Rooster fans need to do some research into the meaning of the word ‘butthurt’.

It’s what you get when you don’t win the comp...

gUt

Coach
Brad Clyde
Brett Mullins
Ricky Stuart

Meninga, Walters, Daley and Lazarus carried the above plodsters

BennyV

Referee
Well the guys who play alongside him don't think he is over rated. I think I'll take the opinion of his NRL, origin and Australian team mates over yours thanks.

Also I can look in a dictionary just as easily as you can, and on this matter I don't need to thanks.
Right, we’ll then maybe there should be a thread called ‘Teammates most overrated player’ to cover that. However, if a poster thinks that a guy who is a walk up to rep teams and was gifted the Aus captain role isn’t deserving, then it fits the ‘overrated’ category for them pretty comfortably!

mongoose

Coach
Kurt Gidley is probably the most overrated I've ever seen

Nathan Cleary is fast approaching that mantle though, but he has plenty of time to change things.

Also Aiden Sezer, Josh Dugan, Blake Ferguson, Chambers, Munster.
I thought Tedesco was hugely overrated until this season he changed my mind.

For retired players: Wendell Sailor, Corey Parker, Glenn Morrison - used to drive me crazy how much people rated him...

Someguy

First Grade
Kurt Gidley is probably the most overrated I've ever seen

Nathan Cleary is fast approaching that mantle though, but he has plenty of time to change things.

Also Aiden Sezer, Josh Dugan, Blake Ferguson, Chambers, Munster.
I thought Tedesco was hugely overrated until this season he changed my mind.

For retired players: Wendell Sailor, Corey Parker, Glenn Morrison - used to drive me crazy how much people rated him...

No way Blake Ferguson. His kick returns were a massive part of the roosters premiership, much like semi got parra rolling last season

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Agree on Ferguson, has that natural ability to turn a 8m hitup/scoot into 12m run that players bigger and more powerful wouldn’t be able to do. Something you can’t really teach, makes a huge difference over a season, especially when you crack 300m more than once