What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Someguy

First Grade
J Jackson
W chambers
N Cleary
A Taylor
D gagai

Underrated

M Gordon
J tevanga
R packer
J manu
D Alvaro

Sirro? No way. Thats just stupid. Legend.

Dean Pay was pretty fearsome as well back in the day.

Sirro was pretty good in his prime.

I agree with you regarding Dean Pay. Guy was one of the real hardmen you could see play. Was adept enough to play second row or prop, but seemed to love the tough stuff. Only problem was after he moved to Parramatta injuries eventually cut him down in his latter years.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
No point picking the regular circus of players that are considered overrated.

These 5 are all rated highly but a bit too much for me.

Fair enough if that’s your opinion but my memory of Sironen is a player who always put in and was an automatic origin and national selection for many years so pretty hard to call someone like that overrated.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Boyd Cordner

I know it’s easy to hate him on this forum and the guys clearly a decent first grader. However he is the Captain of our Country? Seriously! The Captains I’ve known since I followed Footy have been:

Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Brad Fittler
Darren Lockyer
Cameron Smith

That the absolute top echelon of players of their time

Now

Boyd Cordner

It’s the same as the cricket team going from

Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Steve Smith

To

Tim Paine

mxlegend99

Referee
The irony is that Boyd Cordner is severely underrated by fans.

If only he had more flick passes in his game - he'd be an absolute gun like Bryce Cartwright.
He needs to pick up his defence before he can be compared to Cartwright.

20181016_184907.jpg

Atleast he leads by example as captain. The entire of the Australian team were ineffective in defence.

Cordner is a god.

He’s an absolute animal.

Top most overrated currently in the game are

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Nathan Cleary
3. Matt Lodge
4. Tyrone Peachey
5. Josh Jackson

Boyd Cordner

I know it’s easy to hate him on this forum and the guys clearly a decent first grader. However he is the Captain of our Country? Seriously! The Captains I’ve known since I followed Footy have been:

Wally Lewis
Mal Meninga
Brad Fittler
Darren Lockyer
Cameron Smith

That the absolute top echelon of players of their time

Now

Boyd Cordner

It’s the same as the cricket team going from

Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Steve Smith

To

Tim Paine

Captaincy and leadership is not about being the most talented player in their side. For example, when Parramatta won the Premierships in 1981-83 the captain was Steve Edge, not Sterling, Kenny, Ella, Price nor Cronin. 1987 it was Paul Vautin who was Manly's captain. 1988 Peter Tunks was the captain. Leadership is not about the flashiness of their play, I mean Mal Meninga was not considered a flashy player but people listened to him. Nor was Wayne Pearce who was the first Origin captain to win a complete series sweep in origin history.

By the way I don't think the cricket analogy is quite as apt as the ball tampering issue caused the biggest shakeup in that side taking out most of the leadership aspirants in one hit.