What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

yosh64

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
you do know that you tube usually only show 20 secs too 3 min clips right ???

nobody puts up full matches and i perfer too watch it on tv but the ? is what about the rest of the people that dont have foxtel that wanna see a big hit or a magic run do they have too miss out cause they cant afford paying so much money for foxtel ????

Razor makes a good point. NRL is a business. And reducing the revenue is stupid as we would just continue to struggle in the marketplace. Premier league soccer was struggling 20 years ago but now is a financial powerhouse cause of the efforts to increase its revenue (primarily through broadcast revenue).

I believe a compromise should work. Say that they licence youtube with the ability to play max a 2 min clip that cannot be from a game in the current season. That way big hits can be shown, fans can show historical matches and the tv rights are not diluted.

yosh64

Juniors
T to the T said:
The NHL upload their content to their very own channel on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NHLVideo

Why can't the NRL see that technology is not an enemy but a tool?

Is Gallop that spineless a coward?

The NRL doesnt own the rights to its own footage. It would have to get permission or pay a royalty to have its own broadcast website.

Supposedly they plan to fix this problem at the next negotiation.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
Gallop doesnt want fans and only wants cash in his pocket, they look after themselves first before looking after the game.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Razor said:
Watch it on Telstras website.

The worlds biggest media company Viacom(who own MTV, Comedy Central, Paramount Pictures, CBS, The CW, VH1, Nickelodeon, Channel 4(UK), and a host of other channels around the world) are also suing YouTube.

Don't you think the worlds biggest media company would know? They don't think "Well if people see a 2-3 minute clip of our shows/movies then they'll watch the show/movie and make us money" do they? No they don't, because it's a load of crap.

The people that make these decisions do so for a reason. They don't pay these executives massive amounts of money to make stupid decisions, they are very smart decisions. That is why they are in those positions and people who think like you aren't.
COMPLETELY different.

Episodes of television shows, and music videos are different from sports, as they don't lose their relevance after the first viewing. Once a sporting event has been shown and the result known, it is not often that it would be viewed again.

Which would you rather watch? An repeat episode of Seinfeld, or the Friday night game from R12 1998? If the 1998 game was shown on TV, no-one would watch it, because it no longer has that relevance. It's just people in a park then.

Rocco

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
If you're dumb enough to use Telstra for your broadband services (or unfortunate enough to hasve no other choice) then sure.... personally I'm very glad I managed to cut Telstra completely out of my phone/broadband/mobile usage.

we were with telstra years ago until we made a switch to optus

Razor

Coach
Wheelsy said:
Which would you rather watch? An repeat episode of Seinfeld, or the Friday night game from R12 1998? If the 1998 game was shown on TV, no-one would watch it, because it no longer has that relevance. It's just people in a park then.

The 1998 R12 game.

As do a lot of people. That's why they sell Rugby League games on DVD.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Okay, so Ch9 should just not bother with the next TV rights, and replay old games on a Friday and Sunday. Save a lot of money.

It appears for mine that the NRL are removing all and anything from their broadcasts from YouTube.

At first I thought it was just anything to do with highlighting the more unsavoury aspect of the game (eg/ Brad Morrin), but after some random searches some more benign videos seem also to have been removed, such as "Cooper Cronk Stretches" and "Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper interview."

The following message is on these pages:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by National Rugby League Partnership"

In saying this, another random search on Luke Burt found videos of his still posted, including a try combo with Tahu, and a news interview on his knee recovery.

Whether or not they are selectivley removing footage, or removing it all, for me just highlights what a pack of wankers as an organisation they are.

It is not like they are losing revenue from fans uploading interesting snippets for each other.

Pure corporate killjoys whose arses are tighter than that of a scuba diving frog.

Azkatro

First Grade
I had a video up that I took myself at the Eels Sharks game from this year. Wouldn't I own the copyright on that? I had a look at the page which explains what I have to do to "challenge" the action and it was all too confusing. So f**ked if I know what I'm supposed to do. Reupload it and have my account deleted I suppose.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Azkatro said:
I had a video up that I took myself at the Eels Sharks game from this year. Wouldn't I own the copyright on that?

No, the Broadcasters own the copyright. If security were doing their job properly they would have told you to stop.

Azkatro

First Grade
LeagueLegend said:
You mean to tell me you've just realised this???:crazy:
They just did another "run" I think. I just got email notification saying that I'd had videos deleted from my account.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think it should be more selective. I can understand entirely that they don't want people uploading videos of stuff you can (and obviously should) buy on DVD or video, but a lot of the time it's stuff that will never be made available in that form. So they just expect people to never see certain things ever again. That's ordinary.

Latest posts