What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

gong_eagle

First Grade
They really are killjoys, wouldn't vidz on YouTube be advertising the game in a way, the big hits/best try ones are great to relive

gong_eagle said:
They really are killjoys, wouldn't vidz on YouTube be advertising the game in a way, the big hits/best try ones are great to relive

Yeah it is a delicate balance between maximising your media assets and getting the free advertising etc...

I think maybe they should write into contracts that footage 5 years old can be posted and that it can last no longer than 2 minutes from an individual game. Just a suggestion, but might help restore some sort of balance without damaging the value of internet broadband rights to the rights holders.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Honestly, do the NRL have any balls whatsoever?

Other competitions worldwide, which rely just as much on tv rights as the NRL, allow it.

The fact is that things like Youtube increase the awareness of the game.

Talk about cutting off your nose...

B-Tron 3000 said:

Other competitions worldwide, which rely just as much on tv rights as the NRL, allow it.

Spot on.

colonel_123

Juniors
B-Tron 3000 said:

Don't know about other sports but I know that the NFL is very protective of any game footage and doesn't allow any match footage on Youtube.

Obviously like the NRL they have obligations to protect their TV and media rights deals.

Remember the NRL has deals in place with Telstra to publish digital media on the internet.

Eelectrica

Referee
It would be the idiots at Telstra behind it. The NRL has no choice but to bow down and obey.
Telstra write the big cheques afterall.
Personally I think it's bloody stupid and agree that youtube can only increase all round awareness, but the egg heads at Telstra don't see it that way apparently.

skeepe

Immortal
One group of highlights that was originally taken down in the first blitz was a Raiders vs Bears semi from '94. I simply cannot understand it. That match will NEVER be shown on TV ever again, and came under the domain of the NSWRL in any case.

*Paul*

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
It would be the idiots at Telstra behind it.
I think so, the suit mentality of all for us would run strong there. I got my collar felt for linking to the videos on the NRL site, the NRL guy more or less said the takedown was at Telstra's behest.

B-Tron 3000 said:

what competitions? some of footballs biggest associations like the german DFB, spanish FA, english FA, french FP and italian FA don't allow any football highlights. they get swifty removed within minutes of being uploaded

edit: i just checked and these lollipopers removed the highlights package of the 2002 grand final. f**k gallop, f**k the nrl PUT THAT BACK ON YOUTUBE YOU merkin OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!!!!!!!!!!11111111

fourplay

Juniors
OMFG the NRL is so f**kING geniused.

I posted some of the big hit videos on an international forum and got replies like

I can't believe how alpha Rugby is. It makes football look like child's play.
Wow man. Those are some brave mofos to take hits like that without pads. How many deaths a year is there in rugby?

from americans

THEY EVEN REMOVED ALL THE MATT BOWEN HIGHLIGHT VIDEOS. Thats a kick in the face to the guys who spent the time to make them videos.

How would a big hits highlight video on youtube even have negative consequences for the NRL? wtf is the point in trying to expand the game overseas when they are this dumb?

Rugby league really does not deserve to grow when you have such idiots running the show, yet it still does in SPITE of the administration.

Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
what competitions? some of footballs biggest associations like the german DFB, spanish FA, english FA, french FP and italian FA don't allow any football highlights. they get swifty removed within minutes of being uploaded

I don't think any of them competitions care about expansion.. soccer is already worldwide and they have saturated their market in their respective countries already... whereas rugby league desperately needs to expand internationally .

gong_eagle

First Grade
fourplay said:
OMFG the NRL is so f**kING geniused.

I posted some of the big hit videos on an international forum and got replies like

from americans

THEY EVEN REMOVED ALL THE MATT BOWEN HIGHLIGHT VIDEOS. Thats a kick in the face to the guys who spent the time to make them videos.

How would a big hits highlight video on youtube even have negative consequences for the NRL? wtf is the point in trying to expand the game overseas when they are this dumb?

Rugby league really does not deserve to grow when you have such idiots running the show, yet it still does in SPITE of the administration.

I don't think any of them competitions care about expansion.. soccer is already worldwide and they have saturated their market in their respective countries already... whereas rugby league desperately needs to expand internationally .

you should semd this post to Gallop to show how much of a turd he really is

jamesgould

Juniors
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:

Doesn't the NFL have a special section on youtube where users can upload their videos? That would seem to be an idea that makes a lot of sense to me. So, not for the NRL then.

not an NFL fan so i wouldn't know but i wouldn't doubt it. exactly what the NRL should do. what's wrong with a 9 minute highlight package??

don't kid yourself, foxtel is the one pushing this sh*t through