What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

Rocco

Juniors
FunkyMonk said:
Telstra are the tightest company in Australia, i swear. Who else? Look at the bloody ridiculous prices they charge just for using a phone!

its not just that, they have to fix their broadband service up as well.

their internet service is upto sh*t with common breakdowns.

Brutus

Referee
gong_eagle said:
Another lame decision , Cant get the money off telstra so they want the $$ off someone else

Get rid of Gallop and sign up John O'Neil

Sad to say it, but I agree with you.

eelandia

Juniors
All this on top of the fact Foxtel have moved NRL games to FoxSports3, hence making many pay more to see League just so Foxtel can finance their investment in the AFL rights which is on FoxSports1.

Inferno

Coach
Why doesn't Telstra/Channel 9 start their own footy clips site and have people upload videos there?

Imagine how many hits a day that would receive. The advertising alone would more than pay for the paltry server space required.

jed

First Grade
Victor Meldrew said:
Their worst effort was when i took a crappy handheld video with my ordinary still camera of the Kiwis running onto the field at Mt Smart last year in the Tri Series and they had that removed. It had people yelling, it went out of focus every now and then, it was jerky and was shot from a mile away.
innsaneink said:
Mmmm....much like my 15 second wobbly shot of Skandos kick at goal in his last game last year. That too didnt last long.

Youtube isn't going to sit there and look at every single clip they delete, they'll look thm up by a keyword and delete based on that. At a quess, they'd have deleted every clip that was listed under "NRL", maybe things like "Brisbane Broncos", "Canberra Raiders" etc

When you consider the millions of clips contained on their servers, they're not realistically going to view each clip to see whether there's a watermark from Ch 9 or Fox Sports. If there's a threat of legal action, they'll just get rid of everything.

yosh64

Juniors
I agree with everyone here. Its annoying how sports arent using youtube, or at least allowing fans to post videos. But its actually a lawsuit filed by the premier league and their lawyers are trying to boost their case by getting other sports administrations to join them. From what ive heard the NRL hasnt joined yet but is thinking about the request to join.

Soccer doesnt really need the help of youtube to expand around the globe. Whereas league should realise that its a small sport that gets little coverage worldwide to help the game grow, so why not use a platform that provides worldwide exposure of league in action.

Could be something to do with whoever owns the footage rights being able to sue the NRL if they dont do all they can to stop NRL footage being shown. Just guessing as im no lawyer.

Tom Shines

First Grade
I've had this bloody argument so many times I'm not going to even bother.
But seriously, anyone who DOESN'T see the marketing potential of YouTube is farkin braindead.

perverse

Referee
indeed.. youtube and the internet in general could be massive in helping expand the game.

to delete these videos and pursue legal action against youtube is a massive kick in the balls to us, the fans. it could be a great medium to quickly relive and share classic moments that our great game provides.

Once Dead

Bench
Well, here's something to think about....although it may have been said before.....

Why doesn't the NRL make an agreement to have Youtube as an official partner and content provider?

In the world of wrestling (yes, fake) the WWE abhorrs any posting of material on Youtube and gets stuff deleted all the time but TNA, another company encourages it and releases official content through Youtube's website.......as a result, they have recently made it into the Top 4 or 5 viewed content providers on Youtube.....that's priceless exposure

Then again, who am I?

perverse

Referee
Impellitteri said:
Well, here's something to think about....although it may have been said before.....

Why doesn't the NRL make an agreement to have Youtube as an official partner and content provider?

In the world of wrestling (yes, fake) the WWE abhorrs any posting of material on Youtube and gets stuff deleted all the time but TNA, another company encourages it and releases official content through Youtube's website.......as a result, they have recently made it into the Top 4 or 5 viewed content providers on Youtube.....that's priceless exposure

Then again, who am I?
i don't know who you are, but you're right. it would be a good move.

Razor

Coach
It's a good move by the NRL.

If the rights are up on YouTube for free it definitely reduces the value of Internet rights, and could also reduce the value of TV rights.

The NRL has a duty to protect it's rights. If people can watch it on YouTube with YouTube paying nothing, Telstra aren't going to be pay millions a year so they can have the clips on their website.

That in turn reduces the games revenue, which will reduce the players pay and/or increase ticket prices and/or fan initiatives.

Razor said:
It's a good move by the NRL.

If the rights are up on YouTube for free it definitely reduces the value of Internet rights, and could also reduce the value of TV rights.

The NRL has a duty to protect it's rights. If people can watch it on YouTube with YouTube paying nothing, Telstra aren't going to be pay millions a year so they can have the clips on their website.

That in turn reduces the games revenue, which will reduce the players pay and/or increase ticket prices and/or fan initiatives.

you do know that you tube usually only show 20 secs too 3 min clips right ???

nobody puts up full matches and i perfer too watch it on tv but the ? is what about the rest of the people that dont have foxtel that wanna see a big hit or a magic run do they have too miss out cause they cant afford paying so much money for foxtel ????

Tom Shines

First Grade
Impellitteri said:

Then again, who am I?
I don't know who you are, but you're too smart to be an NRL administrator.

ocko

juniors
taking down the material from youtube is dumb enough, but litigating against them is even dumber

Razor

Coach
is what about the rest of the people that dont have foxtel that wanna see a big hit or a magic run do they have too miss out cause they cant afford paying so much money for foxtel ????

Watch it on Telstras website.

The worlds biggest media company Viacom(who own MTV, Comedy Central, Paramount Pictures, CBS, The CW, VH1, Nickelodeon, Channel 4(UK), and a host of other channels around the world) are also suing YouTube.

Don't you think the worlds biggest media company would know? They don't think "Well if people see a 2-3 minute clip of our shows/movies then they'll watch the show/movie and make us money" do they? No they don't, because it's a load of crap.

The people that make these decisions do so for a reason. They don't pay these executives massive amounts of money to make stupid decisions, they are very smart decisions. That is why they are in those positions and people who think like you aren't.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Rocco said:
its not just that, they have to fix their broadband service up as well.

their internet service is upto sh*t with common breakdowns.

If you're dumb enough to use Telstra for your broadband services (or unfortunate enough to hasve no other choice) then sure.... personally I'm very glad I managed to cut Telstra completely out of my phone/broadband/mobile usage.

innsaneink

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
If you're dumb enough to use Telstra for your broadband services (or unfortunate enough to hasve no other choice) then sure.... personally I'm very glad I managed to cut Telstra completely out of my phone/broadband/mobile usage.

Likewise chum.....very , very likewise.

Latest posts