What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
So you think we should have persisted with Ravalawa?
I actually see a lot of upside to Ravalawa BUT he is a newcomer to the game ffrom Union, he needs to learn abit more in CC grade, spend a year or so,he is still learning, Lomax is different he knows the game just needs to play in one position and play 80minutes week in week out not having the pressure if he drops a ball or misses a tackle he gets dropped, thats the point that Robinson is making with Matt Ikuvalu, he knows he can handle it , he knows he will make a mistake or two but wont drop him, so taking that pressure off him, he is playing good footy, back to Ravalawa if he was at the roosters, he wouldnt get a game in the NRL until he was ready, we through Ravalawa in the deep end because we had no one else really..

possm

Coach
Correct me if my judgement is wrong but did Pierce outpace Lomax to score a try. My take we need size, speed and skill at the back and in the back line. We have the forwards the halves which are hard to come by let's not blow it on mediocre backs.
Lomax gained on Tedesco to round him up in defence. He is quick enough and big enough to make a good fullback.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think Lomax can be our long term fullback. I am pretty sure he stated that fullback was his preferred position. If he can succeed at fullback there are big bucks to be made too.

I did say at the beginning of last season that I thought Lomax was our best fullback, centre and wing prospect at our club. Time to shine Zac.

We still desperately need a new pair of centres and wingers. I still would like to see Field get a run at centre ahead of either Aitken or Lafai. Field has looked to hold his own in defence over the last 2 weeks.

Frank Facer

First Grade
There isn't much genuine talent coming off contract at the end of this season. Rapana and Oates are the only 2 wingers that I can remember are off contract. Oates at 700K is way too much for winger. Rapana at 600K could be worth it, but he has been a bit injury prone recently. Dylan Walker is the only good centre I can remember being off contract. We should be looking to do a swap with Manly of Aitken for Walker, before the June 30 deadline if possible. There was some talk on here that Manly were chasing Aitken for this year, while there was also talk of Manly letting Walker go mid season. I think Walker is a very good centre. Walker and Rapana would be a good start.

possm

Coach
There isn't much genuine talent coming off contract at the end of this season. Rapana and Oates are the only 2 wingers that I can remember are off contract. Oates at 700K is way too much for winger. Rapana at 600K could be worth it, but he has been a bit injury prone recently. Dylan Walker is the only good centre I can remember being off contract. We should be looking to do a swap with Manly of Aitken for Walker, before the June 30 deadline if possible. There was some talk on here that Manly were chasing Aitken for this year, while there was also talk of Manly letting Walker go mid season. I think Walker is a very good centre. Walker and Rapana would be a good start.
Too complicated for Millward. Walker would have to come knocking on his door and begging to come to SGI. Hasler could teach Aitken a thing or two and maybe even turn him into a good centre.

blacksafake

First Grade
Sorry Frank but Walker can pi55 off.
Don't want him anywhere near the joint.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Joey Manu was dropped ahead of the 2017 finals series because he had flaws in his game. He was 21 at the time.

And even halfway through last season many Roosters fans weren't convinced until BOOM... it all just clicked and Manu was imo the player of the finals series.

He then went on to give Latrell a bath in the one off Test and many good judges would now consider him the 2nd best centre in the game.

And yet he only found his groove in first grade at 21/22. That was also with the tutelage of an all time great coach in Robbo.

Lomax in contrast is still only 19. And he has Mary to learn from. Gross.

So keep that in mind.

Though with Latrell to 5/8th next year we'll happily take Lomax off your hands if you don't want him :D

possm

Coach
Joey Manu was dropped ahead of the 2017 finals series because he had flaws in his game. He was 21 at the time.

And even halfway through last season many Roosters fans weren't convinced until BOOM... it all just clicked and Manu was imo the player of the finals series.

He then went on to give Latrell a bath in the one off Test and many good judges would now consider him the 2nd best centre in the game.

And yet he only found his groove in first grade at 21/22. That was also with the tutelage of an all time great coach in Robbo.

Lomax in contrast is still only 19. And he has Mary to learn from. Gross.

So keep that in mind.

Though with Latrell to 5/8th next year we'll happily take Lomax off your hands if you don't want him :D
If Mary is still in charge, Lomax might not want us.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Gifted one not burdened by scrutiny
Dragons Den
r0_0_2918_1945_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN HIS STRIDE: Dragons young-gun Zac Lomax isn't putting any extra pressure on himself. Picture: NRL Photos

WHEN someone as credentialed as NSW coach Brad Fittler dubs you 'the gifted one' it inevitably brings pressure, even if you're as laid back as Dragons youngster Zac Lomax.

The Temora product has long been touted for big things having starred for NSW and Australia in the junior ranks. The raps continued when he was thrust into the finals cauldron just three games into his NRL career last season.

It saw him head into 2019 with far greater expectations placed on his shoulders. It's what comes from such high praise but the 19-year-old insists he's taking it in his stride.

"That kind of [praise] should just give you confidence," Lomax said.

"The last thing you want to do as a young bloke is go out there and put more pressure on yourself. You've just got to believe in yourself and know that you're there for a reason.

"You've got to back your preparation knowing all the hard work you've put in over the years.

"It's definitely good to have comments like that put on you and have a coaching staff that believes in you. You've just got to back yourself because you wouldn't be there if the coaching staff or your teammates didn't believe in you."

It's been a much tougher grind in his second top-grade stint, with the Dragons 4-7 and currently 13th on the ladder after 12 rounds.

He might not be feeling heightened scrutiny on the personal front, but his side is certainly under the microscope heading into Monday's clash with the Bulldogs.

"There's obviously been a fair bit of talk about our team not performing as well as we can," Lomax said.

"Every team in the NRL are unbelievable. There's so many good players in the NRL these days and every team on their day is so hard to beat so you've got to be on top of your game week after week.

"You've got to be doing all your preparation, everything that's involved behind the scenes because sometimes on paper we should go out there and win but there's so many times where, if you not producing your best performance, teams just put you away.

"We've got to be better at putting 80-minute performances together, every minute every play.

"We got to get away for a week there and think that definitely does a lot for the team physically and mentally as well. We know what we've got to work on and I'm confident we can get a job done this week."

Lomax got his first crack in his preferred No. 1 jumper in the Dragons last start against Cronulla, but will shift back to right centre this week following an injury to Tim Lafai. It's one of several positional shifts he's made this season, but he says it's role he's happy to fill.

"It's a little bit frustrating but at the same time I'm not disappointed," he said.

"I can definitely learn a lot out of the performance we had the other week and to get a fair few carries in my legs at fullback was a big learning curve. I can take a lot from that game.

"I'm confident going back to centre I can still do a job there for the team and that's what we're expected to do. It's a bit tough knowing you've got a few key guys out but we're professional athletes and we're expected to a job for the team."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...one-not-feeling-burdened-by-scrutiny/?cs=3713

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons Den

IN HIS STRIDE: Dragons young-gun Zac Lomax isn't putting any extra pressure on himself. Picture: NRL Photos

WHEN someone as credentialed as NSW coach Brad Fittler dubs you 'the gifted one' it inevitably brings pressure, even if you're as laid back as Dragons youngster Zac Lomax.

The Temora product has long been touted for big things having starred for NSW and Australia in the junior ranks. The raps continued when he was thrust into the finals cauldron just three games into his NRL career last season.

It saw him head into 2019 with far greater expectations placed on his shoulders. It's what comes from such high praise but the 19-year-old insists he's taking it in his stride.

"The last thing you want to do as a young bloke is go out there and put more pressure on yourself. You've just got to believe in yourself and know that you're there for a reason.

"You've got to back your preparation knowing all the hard work you've put in over the years.

"It's definitely good to have comments like that put on you and have a coaching staff that believes in you. You've just got to back yourself because you wouldn't be there if the coaching staff or your teammates didn't believe in you."

It's been a much tougher grind in his second top-grade stint, with the Dragons 4-7 and currently 13th on the ladder after 12 rounds.

He might not be feeling heightened scrutiny on the personal front, but his side is certainly under the microscope heading into Monday's clash with the Bulldogs.

"There's obviously been a fair bit of talk about our team not performing as well as we can," Lomax said.

"Every team in the NRL are unbelievable. There's so many good players in the NRL these days and every team on their day is so hard to beat so you've got to be on top of your game week after week.

"You've got to be doing all your preparation, everything that's involved behind the scenes because sometimes on paper we should go out there and win but there's so many times where, if you not producing your best performance, teams just put you away.

"We've got to be better at putting 80-minute performances together, every minute every play.

"We got to get away for a week there and think that definitely does a lot for the team physically and mentally as well. We know what we've got to work on and I'm confident we can get a job done this week."

Lomax got his first crack in his preferred No. 1 jumper in the Dragons last start against Cronulla, but will shift back to right centre this week following an injury to Tim Lafai. It's one of several positional shifts he's made this season, but he says it's role he's happy to fill.

"It's a little bit frustrating but at the same time I'm not disappointed," he said.

"I can definitely learn a lot out of the performance we had the other week and to get a fair few carries in my legs at fullback was a big learning curve. I can take a lot from that game.

"I'm confident going back to centre I can still do a job there for the team and that's what we're expected to do. It's a bit tough knowing you've got a few key guys out but we're professional athletes and we're expected to a job for the team."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...one-not-feeling-burdened-by-scrutiny/?cs=3713
Has he not been named at left centre?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Look at how John Morris blooded Xerri into the NRL and now look at Mary. John Morris's first year as NRL coach I may add. Not only Xerri Nicora, Flannagan etc. What a massive difference and Xerri looks world class. All I kept hearing in the Junior ranks was Lomax and never really heard much about Xerri yet Xerri looks so much better. If Lomax was so freaking good then Mary has done an absolute rubbish job blooding him. Saints management should clearly take note of that as that stands out likes dogs balls in why Mary is just not cutting the mustard. To have that much junior talent and not know how to use it is appalling. They don't need to look for outside backs outside the club they have plenty of good ones coming through, unfortunately Mary is clueless in how to use them (e.g Herbert & Garrick).

Geez I hope when they extended his contract they put in a clause that if he does not make the 8 he can be dismissed with no settlement costs starting from 2019. If so good business. If Saints lose tomorrow it will surely be the end for 2019.

getsmarty

Immortal
Look at how John Morris blooded Xerri into the NRL and now look at Mary. John Morris's first year as NRL coach I may add. Not only Xerri Nicora, Flannagan etc. What a massive difference and Xerri looks world class. All I kept hearing in the Junior ranks was Lomax and never really heard much about Xerri yet Xerri looks so much better. If Lomax was so freaking good then Mary has done an absolute rubbish job blooding him. Saints management should clearly take note of that as that stands out likes dogs balls in why Mary is just not cutting the mustard. To have that much junior talent and not know how to use it is appalling. They don't need to look for outside backs outside the club they have plenty of good ones coming through, unfortunately Mary is clueless in how to use them (e.g Herbert & Garrick).

Geez I hope when they extended his contract they put in a clause that if he does not make the 8 he can be dismissed with no settlement costs starting from 2019. If so good business. If Saints lose tomorrow it will surely be the end for 2019.

Come on slippery...Mary has given him experience on the Bench/Middle forward/winger/right centre/fullback/ and now left centre....6 different positions in what 12 games...LOL .And people ask why the poor kid is not developing.....As you stated..clear as day.

possm

Coach

Xerri does not have to take the field with coach instructions such as:
Don't do anything fancy. Just run straight and quickly play the ball.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Under McGregors poor coaching knowledge sadly these young kids with ability wil not go to that next level and become superstars

j0nesy

Bench
Dragons Den

What I find amazing is that the supposedly experienced Aitken stays at right centre but the 19 year old raw recruit is expected to make the shift to left centre after playing full back, bench forward, right centre and ring wing. Only Mary could explain the logic.

possm

Coach
What I find amazing is that the supposedly experienced Aitken stays at right centre but the 19 year old raw recruit is expected to make the shift to left centre after playing full back, bench forward, right centre and ring wing. Only Mary could explain the logic.
All in the name of protecting Aitken's selection at right centre.