What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Norman is no threat to the defence so of course he will make the occasional break.I can just see Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson awake all night working out strategies to contain him.
Given how effective he is at breaking the line, they probably should be working on their strategies..

We best not tell them..

This Year?

Immortal
Lomax being in company of rep quality players should give his confidence a huge boost. Seeing him in tears over his selection made me weak. Although I've been critical of him at times, he's been one of our better players and is trying to be better.

I hope he does well and brings that back to the club.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
lomaxz--201020pb-369.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Lomax's Origin call-up under Freddie five years in the making
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 02:01 PM

Zac Lomax's relationship with Blues coach Brad Fittler stretches back to when he was playing under-16s.

Lomax, who is part of NSW's 27-man squad to face Queensland in November, made his junior State of Origin debut under the guidance of Danny Buderus and fellow Blues great Fittler in 2015.

The 21-year-old St George Illawarra Dragons centre recalled being "pretty gobsmacked" when he first met the pair.

He played off the bench in a 10-6 loss at ANZ Stadium before twice representing the Blues under-18s with Fittler at the helm.

"They're unbelievable coaches and unbelievable players as well," he told NRL.com on Monday morning before boarding a bus headed to NSW's camp at a Central Coast resort.

"But I think the best thing about them is they're such good people. I have so much time for them."

They clearly have a lot of time for him too. Fittler has long been a Lomax fan, famously dubbing him 'The Gifted One' prior to his NRL debut in 2018.

So it would be fitting if Fittler gave him his first senior Origin cap.

"I think Freddie's just shown confidence in me," Lomax said.

"Hopefully I can repay him by competing on everything and being the best teammate I can be for his team. That's all I'm looking to do."

Lomax said he's felt "no pressure at all" from having the coach championing his talent from such a young age.

"I think it's just Freddie being a good fella as he is. I'm sure he has pretty high opinions of a lot of players here," he said.

The bond he shares with Fittler was on display in an emotional video capturing the phone conversation advising him of his Blus selection.

"It was the best call ever to receive off Freddie. I can't wait to be like a sponge and come in and learn as much as I can off all these unbelievable players," he said.

"I was at home in my house in Wollongong. But I had my three best mates down there with me and obviously my partner, Jess [Sergis]. It was unreal to have all them four with me. It was the best feeling.

"I called my family straight away to let them know and it was the best feeling ever. So stoked."

With Tom Trbojevic unavailable due to injury and Campbell Graham initially being overlooked, Lomax is among the contenders to start in the centres at Adelaide Oval on November 4.

remote.axd

Fittler looks forward to Bennett's 'mind games'

Dally M medal winner Jack Wighton is set to retain his spot while Clint Gutherson and potential squad inclusion Stephen Crichton have been touted for the vacant jumper.

Regardless of what eventuates, Lomax is already living out a dream being around the team.

"If I carry the bags and be the waterboy for the boys, that's what I'm looking to do. If I do get a game I'll be ready," he said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ll-up-under-freddie-five-years-in-the-making/

possm

Coach
lomaxz--201020pb-369.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Author
Timestamp

Zac Lomax's relationship with Blues coach Brad Fittler stretches back to when he was playing under-16s.

Lomax, who is part of NSW's 27-man squad to face Queensland in November, made his junior State of Origin debut under the guidance of Danny Buderus and fellow Blues great Fittler in 2015.

The 21-year-old St George Illawarra Dragons centre recalled being "pretty gobsmacked" when he first met the pair.

He played off the bench in a 10-6 loss at ANZ Stadium before twice representing the Blues under-18s with Fittler at the helm.

"They're unbelievable coaches and unbelievable players as well," he told NRL.com on Monday morning before boarding a bus headed to NSW's camp at a Central Coast resort.

"But I think the best thing about them is they're such good people. I have so much time for them."

They clearly have a lot of time for him too. Fittler has long been a Lomax fan, famously dubbing him 'The Gifted One' prior to his NRL debut in 2018.

"Hopefully I can repay him by competing on everything and being the best teammate I can be for his team. That's all I'm looking to do."

Lomax said he's felt "no pressure at all" from having the coach championing his talent from such a young age.

"I think it's just Freddie being a good fella as he is. I'm sure he has pretty high opinions of a lot of players here," he said.

The bond he shares with Fittler was on display in an emotional video capturing the phone conversation advising him of his Blus selection.

"It was the best call ever to receive off Freddie. I can't wait to be like a sponge and come in and learn as much as I can off all these unbelievable players," he said.

"I was at home in my house in Wollongong. But I had my three best mates down there with me and obviously my partner, Jess [Sergis]. It was unreal to have all them four with me. It was the best feeling.

"I called my family straight away to let them know and it was the best feeling ever. So stoked."

With Tom Trbojevic unavailable due to injury and Campbell Graham initially being overlooked, Lomax is among the contenders to start in the centres at Adelaide Oval on November 4.

remote.axd

Dally M medal winner Jack Wighton is set to retain his spot while Clint Gutherson and potential squad inclusion Stephen Crichton have been touted for the vacant jumper.

Regardless of what eventuates, Lomax is already living out a dream being around the team.

"If I carry the bags and be the waterboy for the boys, that's what I'm looking to do. If I do get a game I'll be ready," he said.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ll-up-under-freddie-five-years-in-the-making/
Hopefully, Lomax is the first of a long line of our current young guns that will earn a spot in the SOO training squad over the next few years.

Congratulations to Lomax, he has earned this opportunity. I believe Griffin will be more supportive when it comes to Lomax 'playing what is in front of him' in 2021.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hopefully, Lomax is the first of a long line of our current young guns that will earn a spot in the SOO training squad over the next few years.

Congratulations to Lomax, he has earned this opportunity. I believe Griffin will be more supportive when it comes to Lomax 'playing what is in front of him' in 2021.

Well said possm

Splinters

Juniors

How big is Lomax in that pic? Is it an effect of foreshortening? If it reflects reality, the young man is going to grow into a huge unit.

SEAT 1A

Bench
lomaxz--201020pb-369.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Author
Timestamp

remote.axd

Thanks getsmarty enjoyed reading.

Well spoken and feet on the ground for a very talented young lad.

Old Timer

Coach
How big is Lomax in that pic? Is it an effect of foreshortening? If it reflects reality, the young man is going to grow into a huge unit.
I still contend that in a few years from now Zac may very well end up in the 13 jumper and IMO would make an excellent fist of it.

Big, extremely strong, good tackling technique, mobile, gifted, footy brains galore and a workaholic on the paddock.

Already his level of involvement at centre shows he is looking for even more work

possm

Coach
I still contend that in a few years from now Zac may very well end up in the 13 jumper and IMO would make an excellent fist of it.

Big, extremely strong, good tackling technique, mobile, gifted, footy brains galore and a workaholic on the paddock.

Already his level of involvement at centre shows he is looking for even more work
I'd say if he was moving positions it would be to fullback however, we already have two youngsters that will compete for that position - Ramsey and Schiller - and so that would be a waste.

To tell you the truth, I'd leave him at right centre. Over time he will be as damaging in that position as the great Changa Langlands. Playing in the middle will shorten his career.

Old Timer

Coach
I'd say if he was moving positions it would be to fullback however, we already have two youngsters that will compete for that position - Ramsey and Schiller - and so that would be a waste.

To tell you the truth, I'd leave him at right centre. Over time he will be as damaging in that position as the great Changa Langlands. Playing in the middle will shorten his career.
Sorry possm can't agree with you.

I think he will stay at centre for 2 years and by then JDB if back in the squad will be just about done and dusted so we will need to have a replacement.

Lomax has every attribute to make a go of 13 and if he continues to grow into what is a already a very big frame he may just become a bit too slow for centre especially with all the very quick traffic already lining up for that position.

If he grows out of centre it won't be to FB as again we have some super quick and very talented players already lining up for that gig.

Lomax is looking for more work not less work and you can already see he loves the physical side of the game and actually thrives on it and his desire in that area is why he would easily succeed in the 13 jumper and IMHO he would make JDB look pedestrian in comparison because Zac has more brains and footy smarts in his little finger that JDB has in his ??????

The Badger

Juniors

The other thing that will shorten his career Possm is not playing outside a decent fiveeighth and covering for a weak pack of forwards.I sincerely hope he gets the chance to play outside Keary,Cleary or Walker in Origin.I rate him ahead of Chriton and the other young centre contenders as he endured a tough run to get to where he is.He deserves the opportunity to play outside them.Dragons have to at least get 2 or 3 tough defencive forwards to shore up the middle.My only concern for him in Origin is that he will again be stuck outside Tyson who is very one dimensional.Anyway he seems to make his own luck as he is an opportunist.

BLM01

First Grade

I think he will stay at centre for 2 years and by then JDB if back in the squad will be just about done and dusted so we will need to have a replacement.

Lomax has every attribute to make a go of 13 and if he continues to grow into what is a already a very big frame he may just become a bit too slow for centre especially with all the very quick traffic already lining up for that position.

If he grows out of centre it won't be to FB as again we have some super quick and very talented players already lining up for that gig.

Lomax is looking for more work not less work and you can already see he loves the physical side of the game and actually thrives on it and his desire in that area is why he would easily succeed in the 13 jumper and IMHO he would make JDB look pedestrian in comparison because Zac has more brains and footy smarts in his little finger that JDB has in his ??????
OT Lomax has plenty of speed and is and will be always a centre whilst in his prime
Not saying he is the quickest
He has been hampered this year with minor leg injuries

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

I can see him making a good 5/8 tbh. Good passing game, can kick and he’s won a junior state of origin game with a field goal. Once he reaches his physical peak he will almost be Wighton like but maybe more skilful.