What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thursday night games to return in 2018 despite underwhelming crowd figures in Sydney

big hit!

Bench
the NRL mentality is the typical working class mentality. whatever it took to make that extra $ and trumpet its gain.

there used to be so much crapping on here about tv ratings in bun fights against the AFL. the schedule now specifically caters for TV and it's now a bad thing.

i brought up the slippery slope the NRL were treading with their scheduling and pandering to TV years ago. the game is now not even interesting to watch on TV as there is as much atmosphere of a saturday arvo shute shield game on Seven 2. and this is ignoring the effects the 2 out of every 3 tries referrals to the bunker have had on momentum of games. there is no anticipation for their decisions, just yet more frustration why 4 on-field officials can't make the decision right there and get the celebrations and the game rolling.

regular interest in the sport is not generated by broadcasting games in prime time featuring 7k people in a 80k venue. that picture says that if it's not worth attending, it's not worth watching.

full stadiums of atmosphere and noise make the TV product infinitely better. better scheduling means more people attend, which means the game becomes an event, which means more people want to watch on TV. that's the model the premier league and NFL have used and their broadcast rights values continue to grow.

short of introducing games into prime time on wednesday and tuesday nights, and expansion, how else can the NRL increase the value of it's rights? the package provided is shit and folks are turning off and staying away.

Spot On

Coach
The NRL may see a need to do something about a lot of what you've pointed out when the TV rights start to decline. And it's not just about the crowd numbers. The problems are many. Problems with the product itself - particularly in the ruck and the refereeing. Grassroots (or whatever you want to call it) is a disaster and the next generation are being greeted with open arms (recruited) by the AFL. That ship sailed a decade or more ago and the NRL still haven't moved in this area.

The players will want to count their cash with their new deal because without major change in the leadership of this game the money won't be there too much longer imo.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
I've given Greenberg a passmark to date, til a dopey stament like that.That is one of the most completely out of touch comments ,ever foisted on rl fans,I have witnessed.And boy have we heard and read some clangers in the past.

News stuffed rl with SL,nwo whether intended or not they are doing likewise with a 6pm time slot .Ch9 the so called rl station is doing likewise with the Thursday night one.
First paragraph, how could you? Remind me of his achievements.

Second paragraph, Nein has always used RL as a cash cow rather than being a genuine partner looking to grow the game for mutual benefit. I remember thinking in mid-90s when RL and Awful were neck-and-neck and Nein led 7 comfortably how good 7 were working with their game because they could see how it could benefit them. Nein never got that and wallowed in their complacency leading to today where 7 lead Nein comfortably and their game shits on ours on just about every measure. And don't even start me on F*x.

taipan

Referee
First paragraph, how could you? Remind me of his achievements.

Second paragraph, Nein has always used RL as a cash cow rather than being a genuine partner looking to grow the game for mutual benefit. I remember thinking in mid-90s when RL and Awful were neck-and-neck and Nein led 7 comfortably how good 7 were working with their game because they could see how it could benefit them. Nein never got that and wallowed in their complacency leading to today where 7 lead Nein comfortably and their game shits on ours on just about every measure. And don't even start me on F*x.

A pass mark is hardly a huge endorsement from me,.perhaps a little generous, but that's me LOL.
I work on the basis:-
1) Of getting all the clubs to agree to the salary cap.Knowing how the clubs carry on and work against each other, it's a bleeding miracle.
2) Of getting the Knights and Wests sale sorted out ,whereby the Wests mob spend money on a CofE and grassroots.
3)He to my knowledge didn't agree to the Friday 6pm and Thursday night fiasco.Wasn't that Grant?
4) Gave the Eels a fair go after all their salary cap deception by a few dishonest people at the top.
5) Part of the stadium lobbying by the NRL.after decades of inactivity.

I could list a stack of things such as scheduling /pricing/grassroots support/expansion which he has performed poorly or not at all.We all know the problems there.

Thus in my book 50%.If he told News to p*ss off 6pm Friday to a Sunday arvo, I'd give him another 5%.
If he can get rid of Thursday nights on the next TV deal another 5%.
If we expand/make the game affordable to families, and grow grassroots ,I'll boost him to 70%.

I give myself 75% for providing this valuable insight.

PS Ch9 has us by the short and curlies.It's embarrassing that ch7 the fumblestation,gives the RLWC (which they have the rights) far better promos than the complacent Nein.

Billythekid

First Grade
the NRL mentality is the typical working class mentality. whatever it took to make that extra $ and trumpet its gain.

there used to be so much crapping on here about tv ratings in bun fights against the AFL. the schedule now specifically caters for TV and it's now a bad thing.

i brought up the slippery slope the NRL were treading with their scheduling and pandering to TV years ago. the game is now not even interesting to watch on TV as there is as much atmosphere of a saturday arvo shute shield game on Seven 2. and this is ignoring the effects the 2 out of every 3 tries referrals to the bunker have had on momentum of games. there is no anticipation for their decisions, just yet more frustration why 4 on-field officials can't make the decision right there and get the celebrations and the game rolling.

regular interest in the sport is not generated by broadcasting games in prime time featuring 7k people in a 80k venue. that picture says that if it's not worth attending, it's not worth watching.

full stadiums of atmosphere and noise make the TV product infinitely better. better scheduling means more people attend, which means the game becomes an event, which means more people want to watch on TV. that's the model the premier league and NFL have used and their broadcast rights values continue to grow.

short of introducing games into prime time on wednesday and tuesday nights, and expansion, how else can the NRL increase the value of it's rights? the package provided is shit and folks are turning off and staying away.

Totally agree with this and we're seeing the effects already. It was only a matter of time before poor crowds and general negativity around the game started impacting TV ratings as well. Big crowds and big event matches are the ones that will bring in big TV viewership.

siv

First Grade
I like the spin put on the 6pm game. It's great for young fans apparently, despite being inaccessible to many because it's on fox. So they like young fans watching the game but make the biggest games, the grand final and origins, start after 8pm to ensure they can't see them.

Yes really accable for young fans

Pity mum and dad cant get home from work to pick them up !

siv

First Grade
I cant fathom how they will grow attendances

Bar your team winning more games

$70 for a halfway line seat at Thu or Fri 6pm is highway robbery at ANZ

Then remove the lower grades. So you now have no content that is exclusive to match day

Cant even see the bunker replays properly when at the game

I am fast approching a point where I say stuff it, its a TV show now. Invest in a 80inch TV and just order a pizza and watch the ONE NRL match day game on TV

Then maybe go out and watch RG and U20s are at a park venue on the weekend for $10.

Except they dont play in my team colours anymore !!

Time to see whats on at the movies or organise a family bbq instead

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im as disappointed at the clubs lack of interest in this topic...

They can twist the ARLCs arm until they get all of the funding that they want, but when it comes to shitty scheduling, "meh".

Its not that there is more money in tv than in crowds, its just that the tv money is so much easier...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Friday 6pm crowds were the worse, Thursdays not great but not as bad as the early Friday as a rule. I cant see why you cant at least make it a 6:30pm KO Friday on Fox and have a bit of an overlap with the live game. Fox can show the none game on slight delay. They don't have a problem doing this for AFL.

Warriors should be playing every home game on a Friday, sucks for them but chuck them some money to help them get fans in. There's 12 of the games sorted.

Thursday is rating very well for Nine sadly so it isn't going anywhere for five years! There are no solutions to Thursday nights, doesn't matter who or where they are played they are drawing about 25-40% less fans, only hope is the lowest drawing games get sacrificed into these slots next year but good luck convincing nine of that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im as disappointed at the clubs lack of interest in this topic...

They can twist the ARLCs arm until they get all of the funding that they want, but when it comes to shitty scheduling, "meh".

Its not that there is more money in tv than in crowds, its just that the tv money is so much easier...

Yep they don't have to work at a handout.

Attendance at games scheduled for a 6.00 pm (AEST) kick-off in 2017 -

Round 1: Bulldogs v Storm at Belmore Oval - 8,712.
Round 2: Warriors v Storm at Mt Smart Stadium - 9,811.
Round 3: Bulldogs v Warriors at Forsyth Barr Stadiun, Otago - 10,238.
Round 4: Penrith v Newcastle at Peppers Stadium - 10,567.
Round 5: Roosters v Manly at Allianz Stadium - 12,376.
Round 6: Newcastle v Canterbury at McDonald Jones Stadium - 16,929.
Round 7: Newcastle v Roosters at McDonald Jones Stadium - 21,412 (this was also Good Friday).
Round 8: Raiders v Manly at GIO Stadium - 15,976.
Round 9: Souths v Manly at Allianz Stadium - 10,594.
Round 10: Dragons v Sharks at Jubilee Oval - 15.927.
Round 11: Warriors v Dragons at FMG Stadium, Waikato - 11,108.
Round 12: (No game scheduled)
Round 13: Storm v Newcastle at AAMI Park - 9.489.
Round 14: Manly v Newcastle at Lottoland - 4,189.
Round 15 - (No game scheduled)
Round 16 - Warriors v Bulldogs at Mt Smart Stadium - 13,476.
Round 17 - Gold Coast v Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium - 13,140.
Round 18 - (No game scheduled)
Round 19 - Warriors v Panthers at Mt Smart Stadium - 13,067.
Round 20 - Roosters v Newcastle at Allianz Stadium - 7,121.
Round 21 - Warriors v Sharks at Mt Smart Stadium - 9,771.
Round 22 - Dragons v Souths at the SCG - 12,312.
Round 23 - Eels v Knights at ANZ Stadium - 13,141.
Round 24 - Souths v Warriors at ANZ Stadium - 6,213.
Round 25 - Raiders v Newcastle at GIO Stadium - 10,523.
Round 26 - (No game scheduled).

Hope the above is of some assistance.

Latest posts