What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Broncos

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Just watched the replay.
Mann was in our top 3 players last night. Yeah he made a few errors but he was always dangerous with the ball and troubled the Bris defense.
Dufty 's a must for fullback plenty of upside and will develop especially in the off season (physically)
Lafai actually had a really good game and kept Jimmy the Jet to only 70m
JDB what a beast and that's all that needs to be said
LAM is very underrated and is our perfect interchange forward

Just on Aitken, its obvious his shoulder wasn't right and he was feeling it in a tackle in the 76th minute, not surprised that he's gone for the season now. I wonder if he would have played if Nene was fit?
Nighty, well, love ya but its time to put the cue in the rack champion
Finally, on Nene, so how much did we miss him last night?
Yes I thought Dufty showed a lot of guts and determination taking those kicks when under a lot of pressure....that experience would have done him the world of good.....as for Mann yes he made some errors but he slways gives his all.....when you consider the positions hes played in and being generally stuffed around by McGregor hes done ok.....with Hunt coming next year Mann really needs a stable and secure position, I hope hes not going to be stuffed around as a utility player and spends more time on tbe bench....as for Aitken imo he was obviously not fully fit and match fit so why did McGregor use him when he had Milne up there.....I know Milne has had his detractors but it was plain stupid using Aitken in a game we were most likely going to lose rather than win

possm

Coach
And rightfully so
Singling him out for what was an inevitable loss is ridiculous
People trying to hold onto some false hope that we could knock them off and then trying to blame Mann is laughable

Yes I was there last night; what a big disappointment. My family surrounded by Broncos fans and I must say they all were well behaved and well mannered. However, the Dragons just weren't up to it and I really thought the Broncos played well within themselves.

Dugan was obviously injured and should not have been selected. Atkin is making the same mistakes in defence, surely he should be kept in reserve grade until he learns to read in defence. Our right side has been a problem in defence for a long time, no matter who we put there. Has to be something with the coaching.

Nightingale will find it hard to keep is wing spot next year. He was found lacking in defence a few times last night and once of those defensive lapses let in a try. I also thought Lafai had a quiet game.

Hunt played well last night and will be a real asset next year. The coaching, team selections and bench management were again poor. If people weren't fit Mary should have just brought in some young guns. Even if we still didn't win, we would have at least seen how good they are at first grade level.

In hind sight, I think we would have been better off not signing Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. We should have instead signed two good centres, played Mann at 7 and promoted two fast wingers. Our outside backs are a real problem and unless something is done about it, they will be again next season.

Como Connection

First Grade
Yes I was there last night; what a big disappointment. My family surrounded by Broncos fans and I must say they all were well behaved and well mannered. However, the Dragons just weren't up to it and I really thought the Broncos played well within themselves.

Dugan was obviously injured and should not have been selected. Atkin is making the same mistakes in defence, surely he should be kept in reserve grade until he learns to read in defence. Our right side has been a problem in defence for a long time, no matter who we put there. Has to be something with the coaching.

Nightingale will find it hard to keep is wing spot next year. He was found lacking in defence a few times last night and once of those defensive lapses let in a try. I also thought Lafai had a quiet game.

Hunt played well last night and will be a real asset next year. The coaching, team selections and bench management were again poor. If people weren't fit Mary should have just brought in some young guns. Even if we still didn't win, we would have at least seen how good they are at first grade level.

In hind sight, I think we would have been better off not signing Hunt, Aitken and Lafai. We should have instead signed two good centres, played Mann at 7 and promoted two fast wingers. Our outside backs are a real problem and unless something is done about it, they will be again next season.
Lafai never receives clean ball, always goes to Thompson first.
I don't understand why the ball goes to the second rower before the centres.
Been happening for years.
CC

Life's Good

Coach
Yes mate,he had a shocker.
Looks like his mind is already at the sharks. Possibly sour grapes involved as well.
That's not good as we needed him to fire for the last few games.
I see the team as mentally defeated, almost like they have been out of finals contention for a longtime eg Tigers, Knights, Warriors. A promising start has become a cross that looks too much to carry.

That's the point. Our defence has been awful all year.
Wingers and centres always rushing out of the line leaving gaps.
If it had been a player problem it would have been fixed, so it's not, it a coaching strategy that every man and his dog knows dosnt work.
So why do we persist with it?
Cause McGregor is a dumbass.

blacksafake

First Grade
McGregors use of the bench was again poor. Lawrie may as well have not been used & again another one not given any game time at all even though it was only McCrone. McCrones presence on the bench would have imo had a negative effect on Mann who would have been waiting for him to replace him which could have played a part in Mann trying too hard.

JDHD

Juniors
Was Dugan that bad??(missed the game)

Dropped one ball over the try line, dropped the ball into a Broncos player's hands on our try line who just fell over for a try, kept rushing out of the line and isolating Kurt Mann in defence, and knocked the ball on about two metres away from the Broncos line on the 4th, and that was just the first half. Had an absolute match fixer of a game.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Just watched the replay.
Mann was in our top 3 players last night. Yeah he made a few errors but he was always dangerous with the ball and troubled the Bris defense.
Dufty 's a must for fullback plenty of upside and will develop especially in the off season (physically)
Lafai actually had a really good game and kept Jimmy the Jet to only 70m
JDB what a beast and that's all that needs to be said
LAM is very underrated and is our perfect interchange forward

Just on Aitken, its obvious his shoulder wasn't right and he was feeling it in a tackle in the 76th minute, not surprised that he's gone for the season now. I wonder if he would have played if Nene was fit?
Nighty, well, love ya but its time to put the cue in the rack champion
Finally, on Nene, so how much did we miss him last night?
Every word you said is spot on . Thought i must of been at a different game when people said Mann had a poor game . Mann was our best player in the first half until that brain explosion just before half time . Seemed to lose confidence in the second half .
Very good point re Lafai . I watched him closely last night and thought he was the best centre on the field . He completely shut down Jimmy the jet with his postional play and defence . The key to Lafai in attack is he needs Widdop to play more direct and dig into the line . That gives his the space to use his footwork and ball skills . Duffty looked dangerous and very safe under the high ball ( i seen him before the game and he was sick as a dog with the flu )
Nighty is a shot duck . He and BMoz were once the best pair of wingers in the game . They are now just the oldest wingers in the game a shadow of what they once were .
The Aitken situation is nothing new . Mary rushing players back and totally f##king them up . He now needs a total shoulder reco ....And Dugan just looks like a player who is physically and mentally done . I guess the weight of having to carry a basket case of a club for 4 years and one of the most incompetent coaches and coaching staff i can ever remember has taken its toll .

Life's Good

Coach
Dropped one ball over the try line, dropped the ball into a Broncos player's hands on our try line who just fell over for a try, kept rushing out of the line and isolating Kurt Mann in defence, and knocked the ball on about two metres away from the Broncos line on the 4th, and that was just the first half. Had an absolute match fixer of a game.
Yuck. Hoping he has a couple of blinders to end the season to show us his best instead of going out with a whimper.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
McGregors use of the bench was again poor. Lawrie may as well have not been used & again another one not given any game time at all even though it was only McCrone. McCrones presence on the bench would have imo had a negative effect on Mann who would have been waiting for him to replace him which could have played a part in Mann trying too hard.

Blacksafake
Mary's use of the bench has been terrible all year.
With the way we play he sould have played a four man bench of all forwards.
With every one getting a decent time on the field.
This would bring more impact from the bench and all the player would be fresher.
I we have a injury in the back.
We have cover with mann and tommo.

epDragon62

First Grade
Blacksafake
Mary's use of the bench has been terrible all year.
With the way we play he sould have played a four man bench of all forwards.
With every one getting a decent time on the field.
This would bring more impact from the bench and all the player would be fresher.
I we have a injury in the back.
We have cover with mann and tommo.
Spot on

ALSGI

Bench
Agree mate re the negative affect on Mann, further compounding McGenius use of the bench, just dumb. 15 v 17 Brilliant.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Worse bench I've ever seen. 4 in name only with zero impact and only 2 & a half used. McWreckor at his dismal best....

JDHD

Juniors
Yuck. Hoping he has a couple of blinders to end the season to show us his best instead of going out with a whimper.

The icing on the cake was when Mann kicked it dead on the second with a minute to go in the first half, Dugan gave him an absolute spray for the ages. The temerity to abuse a teammate for trying something in attack after the half he'd just had...f**king wanker.

Life's Good

Coach
The icing on the cake was when Mann kicked it dead on the second with a minute to go in the first half, Dugan gave him an absolute spray for the ages. The temerity to abuse a teammate for trying something in attack after the half he'd just had...f**king wanker.
The end of the season can't come soon enough for the players and fans. Just another wasted year.

Red V for life

Juniors
Duges has been one of my faves, but I didn't like the Mann spray at all. I couldn't help but think about a comment from Paul Kent (I know...I know) during the whole contract saga that the club wouldn't be sad to see him go.

Mann knew it was the wrong, abysmally executed option. Just look at the footage again. It is written all over his face as soon as he did it.

I would've preferred a "keep ya head up and bounce back". It is a team sport after all. Squandered opportunity? Yes. Game defining? Nope...not for mine.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Excellent summation
I had posted earlier in a thread Mc Crone on the bench would only be a negative and that exactly what happened
We play a side with terrific line speed and we use 2 bench players a complete catastrophe but doected from a clueless coach