What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Did they actually say they prefer another Brisbane team? Didn't Fordham say something like 'we think there's room for another QLD team'? That isn't the same as "we think Brisbane 3 should be next!"
He said Ch9 want more matches in southeast Queensland.

Do you think that means they want a team in Weipa?

Bukowski

Juniors
Did they actually say they prefer another Brisbane team? Didn't Fordham say something like 'we think there's room for another QLD team'? That isn't the same as "we think Brisbane 3 should be next!"
Some low level employee said something parochial to a bunch of pissed Qlders. I'm not sure he is going to be consulted on expansion.

Colk

First Grade
Some low level employee said something parochial to a bunch of pissed Qlders. I'm not sure he is going to be consulted on expansion.

To be fair the guy he is quoting isn’t some low level employee. Nevertheless, Channel Nine’s thoughts are largely dependent on:
1. whether they firstly retain the rights after this deal
2. whether they hold as much power or their thoughts are in step with whomever holds the bigger part of the rights (let’s presume that is Foxtel based on current arrangements)
3. Lastly but most importantly whether the ARLC and whoever is in charge at that time gives a s*** about what Channel Nine think.

It is not a negative for the chances of a next Brisbane side but there is so much that could happen (and this is for everything on expansion) that it is kind of pointless to talk about it. People are just projecting what they want to happen and saying that it will happen - for instance people who are against another Brisbane side could probably highlight that News journalists aren’t talking about another Brisbane side.

Bukowski

Juniors
To be fair the guy he is quoting isn’t some low level employee. Nevertheless, Channel Nine’s thoughts are largely dependent on:
2. whether they hold as much power or their thoughts are in step with whomever holds the bigger part of the rights (let’s presume that is Foxtel based on current arrangements)
3. Lastly but most importantly whether the ARLC and whoever is in charge at that time gives a s*** about what Channel Nine think.

It is not a negative for the chances of a next Brisbane side but there is so much that could happen (and this is for everything on expansion) that it is kind of pointless to talk about it. People are just projecting what they want to happen and saying that it will happen - for instance people who are against another Brisbane side could probably highlight that News journalists aren’t talking about another Brisbane side.
No ones talking about it, just a weatherman at a function fun of qlders.

Wb1234

Referee

Foxsports have said they want another brisbane team

there’s a reason why broadcasters want More teams in Brisbane and don’t want one in Perth

Canard

Immortal
I think broadcasters opinions should be taken into account, for sure.

But it's only one stakeholder in the game, and one that is often completely conflicted, and should be treated that way.

Broadcasters ruined the Big Bash for pushing for too many games, for example.

They've also created the 6pm kickoff which hurts our fans.

Last edited:
Didn't they get more matches in southeast Queensland last year and pay a total $0 extra for it?

They lost access to four Broncos games.

Why would they pay more when they lose access to the most watched team in the country?

Plus V'landys didn't take the rights to tender. No reason to pay more when there's no competition.

Ch9 have been f**king over the game for decades now. They ran the game under previous CEOs, and still f**ked us over, why do people suddenly think they would do the right thing this time?

I never said they'll "do the right thing this time". I'm arguing that they have a lot of influence over our game. You just acknowledged they "ran the game under previous CEOs, and still f**ked us over".

What makes you think they won't have any more power in the future?

Whether we like it or not, the fact remains that FTA coverage is vital for the NRL. Sports that aren't covered by the two major FTA networks lose marketshare. This gives Ch7 and Ch9 a huge amount of power when the broadcast rights are up for negotiation. Ch10 has thrown everything at the NRL, AwFuL and cricket, but cannot get the rights because no one wants.to saddle up with a struggling network. Ch7 won't have the money to put in a huge bid in 2028. That leaves Ch9 as the only major FTA network.

Colk

First Grade
Foxsports have said they want another brisbane team

there’s a reason why broadcasters want More teams in Brisbane and don’t want one in Perth

Post Dolphins?

All News Limited journalists seem to be talking about is the Bears (with Perth and/or NZ) and PNG.

Simon Fordham is the Head of Strategy for WWOS.

That doesn’t sound like a weatherman.

He would be important.
Even though I cannot see his posts -- I have him on ignore -- I suspected he was referring to Simon Fordham as "the local weather man". He's only here to agitate and spread misinformation. It's why I've got him on ignore.

I respond to Perth Red because he makes good points every now and then and is a genuine fan.

Wb1234

Referee
Post Dolphins?

All News Limited journalists seem to be talking about is the Bears (with Perth and/or NZ) and PNG.
Yes post dolphins

those articles are about what they think the arlc will do

you can make the argument that we’ve done enough for broadcasters with the dolphins

but not that another Brisbane team has no value for broadcasters

the next team in will effectively rely on being an extra game and rely upon existing tv viewers in nsw and qld (png). Same applies to Perth

Maximus

Coach
The lost access to four Broncos games.

They're not going to pay more when they lose access to the most watched team in the country.

So it's not about wanting more games in southeast QLD, as more games in southeast QLD apparently hold $0 value to them.

What's to stop them getting another one and then refusing to pay any more, because they lost more Broncos games?

I never said they'll "do the right thing this time". I'm arguing that they have a lot of influence over our game. You just acknowledged they "ran the game under previous CEOs, and still f**ked us over".

What makes you think they won't have any more power in the future?

Whether we like it or not, the fact remains that FTA coverage is vital for the NRL. Sports that aren't covered by the two major FTA networks lose marketshare. This gives Ch7 and Ch9 a huge amount of power when the broadcast rights are up for negotiation. Ch10 has thrown everything at the NRL, AwFuL and cricket, but cannot get the rights because no one wants.to saddle up with a struggling network. Ch7 won't have the money to put in a huge bid in 2028. That leaves Ch9 as the only major FTA network.

What do you think happens to ch9 if they lose the NRL? They become that ch10 that nobody wants anything to do with.

They hold only as much power as we give them. You want to hand the control of the game over to them purely because you think they'll give you something you want.

Colk

First Grade
Yes post dolphins

those articles are about what they think the arlc will do

you can make the argument that we’ve done enough for broadcasters with the dolphins

but not that another Brisbane team has no value for broadcasters

the next team in will effectively rely on being an extra game and rely upon existing tv viewers in nsw and qld (png). Same applies to Perth

They literally haven’t mate. Just did a search and the last article was the Brisbane Tigers announcement back in March last year. It definitely has not been talked about as much as PNG, Bears and shock horror Perth.

See this is the thing - with both sides by the way.

You point at evidence that you like - so for instance the comment from the WWOS head of strategy and ignore the recent Fox/News articles because I don’t know it doesn’t fit with what you want. Now I’m not suggesting that there won’t be or there will be another Brisbane side; I’m suggesting that News not talking about another Brisbane side might be relevant the same as the Channel Nine thing might be (it might or might not be who knows)

Essentially nobody knows what will happen; I’d say it is probably likely that there will be a PNG side but that’s about it.

Wb1234

Referee
They literally haven’t mate. Just did a search and the last article was the Brisbane Tigers announcement back in March last year. It definitely has not been talked about as much as PNG, Bears and shock horror Perth.

See this is the thing - with both sides by the way.

You point at evidence that you like - so for instance the comment from the WWOS head of strategy and ignore the recent Fox/News articles because I don’t know it doesn’t fit with what you want. Now I’m not suggesting that there won’t be or there will be another Brisbane side; I’m suggesting that News not talking about another Brisbane side might be relevant the same as the Channel Nine thing might be (it might or might not be who knows)

Essentially nobody knows what will happen; I’d say it is probably likely that there will be a PNG side but that’s about it.
I’ve posted links a few times about foxsports wanting another brisbane side

Latest posts