What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

*Gives reasons as to why the Storm are valuable to News while at the same time arguing they are not valuable* ... just bizarre
I stated why News Ltd propped them. They didn't have the AwFuL broadcast rights until 2002. Once they set up the Storm they were stuck with them. No one was going to buy them in 2002 and the game couldn't afford anymore turmoil after the fallout from South Sydney's axing and return.

Remember when you called me an idiot for saying News Ltd ran the Storm?

In 2006, the Storm's give member board included "News Ltd executives Peter Jourdain and Frank Stanton and John Webster, from News subsidiary Herald and Weekly Times."

Storm hated 'because of Murdoch link'
Dan Harrison (Age)
August 2, 2006

MELBOURNE Storm would not be taken seriously by the rugby league community or embraced by its home city while it was owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Limited, its chief executive, Brian Waldron, says. In comments certain to raise eyebrows at News Limited's Sydney headquarters, Mr Waldron said his club was despised because of its connection to Mr Murdoch, who in 1993 set up Super League in an attempt to capture the sport for pay TV channel Foxtel after Kerry Packer's Optus Vision won the rights to the Australian Rugby League.

The Storm, which is on top of the NRL ladder with 16 wins from 19 games, has been dependent on money from Murdoch since its inception in 1998. News Ltd wholly owns the club. "I'd love to think that if we won a premiership the people of Victoria would be a little bit proud of us," Mr Waldron told a business breakfast hosted by youth charity Whitelion yesterday. "But I'm also mindful of the fact that they're probably not going to be that proud of us, because they don't own the team," he said. The Storm's five-member board includes News Ltd executives Peter Jourdain and Frank Stanton and John Webster, from News subsidiary Herald and Weekly Times.

"In the game of rugby league, News Limited's a huge issue, because News Limited created Super League, and Super League created the rugby league war," Mr Waldron, a former chief executive of St Kilda Football Club, said. "The issue we have for Melbourne Storm is how do we get rid of the big grandfather of News Limited that sits over the top of us and makes us so despised by everyone. "Whilst we're owned by News Limited, it's extremely difficult to continue to have some credibility in the marketplace. "We need to be a stand-alone entity that's financially viable. Long term, we want to be owned by the people of Melbourne."

Mr Waldron cited as a possible model the Green Bay Packers in the United States National Football League, which has operated as a publicly-owned non-profit corporation since 1923. (yes - great call) About 4.75 million shares are held by about 110,000 shareholders, none of whom receive a dividend on their initial investment. To prevent anyone from taking control of the team, the articles of incorporation prohibit any one person from owning more than 200,000 shares.

News Limited's director of corporate affairs, Greg Baxter, said that while his company had no plans to sell, it would be interested in hearing from people wanting to invest in the Storm. "News is 100 per cent committed to the Storm," Mr Baxter said. "If there are other investors who want to support the Storm, we'd love to have them on board. They would have to be like-minded people that believe in rugby league in Melbourne. "If those people want to invest in the club and believe in it the way we do, we'd love to talk to them."

cinders7

Juniors
I hope Melbourne never gets a second team. I love that the whole town is now behind the Storm. 15 years ago it was Victory, and we certainly don’t want another Melbourne City or Western United.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
100%.
I feel like the best way to create a 'derby' for the Storm is to add Perth and more importantly Adelaide. Build from the traditional rivalries rather than trying to create something out of nothing. Don't need to weaken the Storm to do it.

mongoose

Coach
I stated why News Ltd propped them. They didn't have the AwFuL broadcast rights until 2002. Once they set up the Storm they were stuck with them. No one was going to buy them in 2002 and the game couldn't afford anymore turmoil after the fallout from South Sydney's axing and return.

Remember when you called me an idiot for saying News Ltd ran the Storm?

In 2006, the Storm's give member board included "News Ltd executives Peter Jourdain and Frank Stanton and John Webster, from News subsidiary Herald and Weekly Times."

Storm hated 'because of Murdoch link'​
Dan Harrison (Age)​
August 2, 2006​
MELBOURNE Storm would not be taken seriously by the rugby league community or embraced by its home city while it was owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Limited, its chief executive, Brian Waldron, says. In comments certain to raise eyebrows at News Limited's Sydney headquarters, Mr Waldron said his club was despised because of its connection to Mr Murdoch, who in 1993 set up Super League in an attempt to capture the sport for pay TV channel Foxtel after Kerry Packer's Optus Vision won the rights to the Australian Rugby League.​
The Storm, which is on top of the NRL ladder with 16 wins from 19 games, has been dependent on money from Murdoch since its inception in 1998. News Ltd wholly owns the club. "I'd love to think that if we won a premiership the people of Victoria would be a little bit proud of us," Mr Waldron told a business breakfast hosted by youth charity Whitelion yesterday. "But I'm also mindful of the fact that they're probably not going to be that proud of us, because they don't own the team," he said. The Storm's five-member board includes News Ltd executives Peter Jourdain and Frank Stanton and John Webster, from News subsidiary Herald and Weekly Times.​
"In the game of rugby league, News Limited's a huge issue, because News Limited created Super League, and Super League created the rugby league war," Mr Waldron, a former chief executive of St Kilda Football Club, said. "The issue we have for Melbourne Storm is how do we get rid of the big grandfather of News Limited that sits over the top of us and makes us so despised by everyone. "Whilst we're owned by News Limited, it's extremely difficult to continue to have some credibility in the marketplace. "We need to be a stand-alone entity that's financially viable. Long term, we want to be owned by the people of Melbourne."​
Mr Waldron cited as a possible model the Green Bay Packers in the United States National Football League, which has operated as a publicly-owned non-profit corporation since 1923. (yes - great call) About 4.75 million shares are held by about 110,000 shareholders, none of whom receive a dividend on their initial investment. To prevent anyone from taking control of the team, the articles of incorporation prohibit any one person from owning more than 200,000 shares.​
News Limited's director of corporate affairs, Greg Baxter, said that while his company had no plans to sell, it would be interested in hearing from people wanting to invest in the Storm. "News is 100 per cent committed to the Storm," Mr Baxter said. "If there are other investors who want to support the Storm, we'd love to have them on board. They would have to be like-minded people that believe in rugby league in Melbourne. "If those people want to invest in the club and believe in it the way we do, we'd love to talk to them."​
you're over analysing the situation. The NRL has a popular and successful team in the 2nd (1st according to some reports) biggest market in the country. This is important for a competition that calls itself "national", to think otherwise is just backwards and insular.

you're over analysing the situation. The NRL has a popular and successful team in the 2nd (1st according to some reports) biggest market in the country. This is important for a competition that calls itself "national", to think otherwise is just backwards and insular.
The way they got there is my problem. It killed the integrity of the competition and gave people the impression it's fixed like wrestling. The dangerous tackling tactics they've introduced into the game have ended careers and made the game boring during the late 00s and early 10s.

The jury is still out on what happens to this club when Bellamy retires.

The Broncos never recovered from Bennett's departure in the late 00s. Haven't won a premiership since 06.

Lions went from drawing 30k to 20k to their games when their premiership run came to an end. Fumbleball is bigger in Brisbane than RL in Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stop shifting the goalposts you putrid little troll.

I asked you how much Melbourne (the market) is worth to the broadcasters?

You've danced around the question by saying it doesn't matter because the Storm rate well in Brisbane and Sydney.

You're also on record saying Perth doesn't need to have sustained on field success to win over Perth. The problem with your bullshit claim is a poorly performing Perth team won't rate well in Brisbane and Sydney, thus making it worthless to the broadcasters because it won't rate well in Perth, either. The other flaw with your bullshit reasoning is the Storm's popularity on TV will nosedive when they become a bottom four team. The Cowboys were right up there with the Storm for TV ratings when they made seven finals series straight and had Thurston. Years of finishing in the bottom four after Thurston's retirement saw their ratings slide somewhat. You're a complete f**kwit with shit for brains if you think the Storm are immune from experiencing the same fate.
yawn

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hes gone from wanting to shut down sydney clubs and having teams in perth and elsewhere to only wanting teams in nsw and qlnd. The guys a fruitcake. Its a real shame he spams this expansion forum up so much. Instead of actually talking about expasnion we all get drawn into his repetitive BS that has very little to do with expansion most of the time. He needs to take a leaf out of pippens book and f**k off for a while so we can have some decent conversations about the exciting prospects of adding 3 new club to the NRl in the next decade or two.

I only usually put abusive dckheads on ignore but for the sake of everyone on here and hopefully improving this forum area Im putting him on ignore for a while. Donkey no point in replying to my posts as I wont be reading you any longer. I suggest everyone does the same and he might get the message.

Wb1234

Referee
Hes gone from wanting to shut down sydney clubs and having teams in perth and elsewhere to only wanting teams in nsw and qlnd. The guys a fruitcake. Its a real shame he spams this expansion forum up so much. Instead of actually talking about expasnion we all get drawn into his repetitive BS that has very little to do with expansion most of the time. He needs to take a leaf out of pippens book and f**k off for a while so we can have some decent conversations about the exciting prospects of adding 3 new club to the NRl in the next decade or two.

I only usually put abusive dckheads on ignore but for the sake of everyone on here and hopefully improving this forum area Im putting him on ignore for a while. Donkey no point in replying to my posts as I wont be reading you any longer. I suggest everyone does the same and he might get the message.
See how you turn people off Perth lmao

Bukowski

Juniors

Finally. Your the only one that gives him life.

mongoose

Coach

yes I really need to stop replying to him...

MugaB

Coach

That won't stop the replies, as your hypocrisies are constant in most of your posts, all it will do is have a reply to your negative BS, without you retorting to it or reading it... why should I have to put you or him or anyone on ignore, just coz you can't control your own BS...
As I've said before, this thread is basically over, PNG are the 18th team, start a new thread 19th and 20th, and talk about expansion there

blue bags

First Grade
What's the point of bringing in a PNG franchise?
Is IT money profit. Tv money. Juniors
? What's the reason. Politics ?
Where. Why . How ???