What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
theyve struck a vein with the Australian sporting public no doubt , the perfect product played at the perfect time of year. The relevance Id of thought is due to its popularity , broadcasters will be fighting like ally cats to secure the rights to it so much so , that this 6 week competition might end up being worth more then entire seasons of the A League & Super Rugby . Minor sports can bemoan all they want about its relevance , but but , its only a short comp , CA will sit back & laugh counting their tens of millions of extra dollars
Sorry I think you've missed the point Dave - what is the relevance to the NRL? You know, the section of this forum we're in?

This competition is played months clear of ours, at a different time of year and is entirely different.

I don't get why we'd bother comparing NRL to it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Game day experience, right game right time, marketing to families, changing the format of a sport to make it more appealing to fans etc etc.

Sorry I think you've missed the point Dave - what is the relevance to the NRL? You know, the section of this forum we're in?

This competition is played months clear of ours, at a different time of year and is entirely different.

You really love being the forum narc don't you.

90% of this thread is an endless back of forth offering up reasons why crowds in the NRL are low and then people firing back that those reasons aren't good enough.

The Big Bash turns up and in pretty short time has great crowds that fly in the face of a lot of that stuff. The BBL is doing something right.

If you can't see why that's appropriate for the tenor of this discussion I can't help you champ. Or maybe you aren't able to discern the mood of the forum well enough to effectively be a moderator?

Canard

Immortal
Every game live on FTA also.

I feel like that first season on pay only taught a valuable lesson in building a fan base.

Ala Super Rugby being pay only or mostly pay hurts your reach.

Timmah

Staff member
You really love being the forum narc don't you.

90% of this thread is an endless back of forth offering up reasons why crowds in the NRL are low and then people firing back that those reasons aren't good enough.

The Big Bash turns up and in pretty short time has great crowds that fly in the face of a lot of that stuff. The BBL is doing something right.

If you can't see why that's appropriate for the tenor of this discussion I can't help you champ. Or maybe you aren't able to discern the mood of the forum well enough to effectively be a moderator?

A few things:

- disagreeing with you or your reasons for bringing something up isn't being a narc. It's called having input.

- my role as a moderator has absolutely sweet f**k all to do with my opinion being put forward. This is a discussion forum.

I don't doubt the BBL is doing plenty right, they've got a great mix which is reaping great results, but I don't think it's anything the NRL (or AFL) can compare itself to, or try to replicate. Part of the pull of the BBL in itself is the fact it's played for a month over school holidays.

The closest thing we can probably compare it to in our circles is Auckland Nines which has generated plenty of buzz and good crowds in a short space of time too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree, weather and school holidays aside the whole 4 hour event of going to the game was a world away from attending most nrl games. Pre match build up, decent beer, decent food options, loads of stuff for kids going on, competitions throughout the game, the hyping up of the action during the game with pyro and dancers. It was just a great fun night out regardless of result. compared to the last nrl game I went to, Souths v sharks at anz, it was completely different despite Souths making some effort.

Disagree, weather and school holidays aside the whole 4 hour event of going to the game was a world away from attending most nrl games. Pre match build up, decent beer, decent food options, loads of stuff for kids going on, competitions throughout the game, the hyping up of the action during the game with pyro and dancers. It was just a great fun night out regardless of result. compared to the last nrl game I went to, Souths v sharks at anz, it was completely different despite Souths making some effort.

You were at that game? My god it was DREADFUL.

Timmah

Staff member
If you actually bothered to read my post:
I don't doubt the BBL is doing plenty right, they've got a great mix which is reaping great results

Clubs could certainly do a lot better with their match day experience but I do believe if the BBL was a longer comp with more games, more teams and not played over school holidays they'd struggle to maintain such big crowds. That's kinda the issue.

Arnold

Juniors
As for match day experience... yes sure it does have a part to play for some of the league fans that attend.

For me though I'd love it if between stoppages in play I could speak to my family without having to yell over blaring music.

Simply put rugby league is very different to T20 in all facets.

The Big Bash is awesome.

And I think a lot of the crowd don't care. They're there to have fun, be entertained.

And you get it in spades.

It's warm, it's summer evenings. It's promoted right. The crowds are gender, age and ethnic diverse. It's school holidays.

The match day stuff...jumping castle, face painting, skills tents, etc is available at a lot of nrl games i go to so it's no different.

The Nrl problem is scheduling and promotion imho. The product is fine. It's great to watch live or on TV. People love it but we've just got to win them over to games as many as already watch TV.

A few things:

- disagreeing with you or your reasons for bringing something up isn't being a narc. It's called having input.

- my role as a moderator has absolutely sweet f**k all to do with my opinion being put forward. This is a discussion forum.

No. You dismissed my post outright as being "irrelevant". That's not input as you put it, that's shutting discussion down. And in the off season, when traffic to the site is at its lowest ebb you want to prevent people from posting.

Timmah

Staff member
No. You dismissed my post outright as being "irrelevant". That's not input as you put it, that's shutting discussion down. And in the off season, when traffic to the site is at its lowest ebb you want to prevent people from posting.
You need to work on your comprehension. My response detailed why I don't believe BBL and NRL are comparable.

Nothing about that is "shutting down discussion" - the 20 posts in two days during the forum's lowest ebb indicates to me that plenty are willing discuss why or why not.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm confused.

We're on a forum to discuss, debate and argue.

I've argued to both you and Raiderdave that I don't believe BBL and NRL crowds are comparable.

That's not shutting down discussion, that's providing an alternative viewpoint. If you want to discuss it, like many others have over the last 48 hours in this thread, nobody is stopping you.

But of course instead of responding with why you think it's relevant, it's easier to derail things with a potshot at me, some random stab about being a moderator and accusing me of shutting down discussion.

Well done, you got me to bite. Pat on the back for you champ.

Latest posts