What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 2 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 9th March 8pm @BlueBet Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Well, time flies in Rugby League sometimes and just like that, Round 1 is over and it's time to switch focus and look towards Round 2. Things don't get any easier for us as we're on the road again, this time facing an even more daunting task as we take on the defending back-to-back Premiers, the Panthers at their home ground. There's no two ways about it, this is a huge clash and a huge test.

It's no secret that I hate Penrith, I've made that pretty clear over the past couple of years. In fact, it's getting to the point where I dislike them almost as much as the Roosters and that's saying something. I'm sure their fans would probably say the same about us too. Just their arrogance, cockiness and self-entitlement, I hate it. I'm sick to death of them walking all over us too, I'm sick of them being so much better than us. We've bet them once since ANZAC Round in 2019, that's once in about four years, so that's an abysmal record. Not to mention the last three years, they've got us in the Prelim or GF. I'm absolutely sick of it and it's time we turned the tables this week.

No doubt that we are a chance this week. The way the Panthers have started the year, I do think they look a little vulnerable at the moment. They've lost some key players and their form has suffered as a result. It's just the early-Season jitters for them though as things take a bit of time to adjust. We need to be aware that they will click sometime soon, it could even be this week. When that happens, they'll be the same old Penrith that we know and hate and that's what we need to prepare for this week. It's gonna be a huge test. The Charity Shield and Round 1 have been great but this game right here, this week, will really show us where we're at. They might be missing a couple from last year but when they click, they're still one of the best teams in the comp with strike everywhere you look. I don't quite know how to stop it so JD and thee coaching staff will have to come up with something good.

For us, it's about improving and building on the weekend just gone. We were pretty good but pretty good isn't going to cut it against this mob, one of our biggest rivals. We'll need to be a lot better if we want to be even a chance of winning. We can't afford to make the errors we did against Cronulla as that will basically hand them the win, they're far too good a side to not take advantage of that. Secondly, we do need to keep improving in defence, particularly out wide. They're the two main areas of focus for us. Cleary will try pick us apart and kick us to death as he has so many friggin times over the years but our boys have gotta stand up and not let that happen. This is what this week, this game is all about, standing up and saying "enough is enough." As I said I'm sick of them walking all over us. I don't want to see the boys go out there and play nice, that's not how you beat the Panthers. Get down and dirty with them, niggle the crap out of them, show aggression, stand up and be counted!!!!

We have a chance for some form of redemption in Round 2 and make a huge statement along the way. Can the boys do it? That's up to them. Against one of our biggest rivals in recent years, genuine dislike between the two sides, it should be a cracker and I for one can't wait to sink my teeth into these pricks! Come on Souths!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Next stop Penrith on Ilias' coming of age tour: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/06/next-stop-penrith-on-ilias-coming-of-age-tour/

JD was on NRL 360 tonight and he said that Latrell was a massive chance to play. Kent asked if he were to make a call right now, yes or no, what would you do? JD said 'yes.' So I guess that's a really good sign.

Also saw an interview with Latrell today and he was very confident, told Souths fans that the knee was good and not to worry. More good signs.

But it sounds like tomorrow's training session will be the real tester so we'll find out.

Jai is definitely out for this one he indicated.

Cannot for the life of me understand why this is a thurs night game.
Agreed mate! it's happened quite a lot in recent years. Should be prime time Friday, Saturday, or Sunday arvo.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 2 against the Panthers,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5.Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Moale
9. Cook
10. Burgess/Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Cartwright/Host
16. Sele/Burgess/Suluka-Fifita
17. S.Mitchell

So, the backs pick themselves, don't need to explain that. In the pack, I think Davvy will start again alongside Tom. Of course, we all want Tommy off the bench for impact but with the injuries we have for this game, I don't think we can afford that. No disrespect to Moale or Shaq, but we can't have both of them, or DSF, (relative rookies) starting against the back-to-back Premiers. We kind of have no choice but to start Tom. Unless of course, Sele is fit. In which case, he comes straight into the starting side for mine.

The rest of the pack kind of picks itself. On the bench, if Hosty isn't back, Jed is guarenteed to be on there. As will either Sele, Burgess or DSF. It all depends of if Sele returns which I really hope he does! We need him now more than ever.

Gonna be an interesting team list Tuesday! Can't wait!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Latrells PCL injury is a little bit concerning to me but also i was at the Sharks game and Latrell was taking hitups after he went down and looked really comfortable running.

Latrell was doing separate warmups with Tatola prior to the game. I'm no physio but it looked like they were both doing warmups specifically for their knees and hamstrings.

I'd say we really need Latrell for our opening rounds as we need to get off to a good start but i wouldnt mind seeing him rested over the easier rounds.

callmack1

Staff member
Team list Tuesday again lessgooo!!

Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round Two against Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/07/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-two-against-panthers/

An Intriguing and exciting team list Tuesday that's for sure! We've named a pretty decent line up I think, considering the circumstances.

Obviously, the big one is that Trell has been named to play which is a positive sign. If he was no chance, he wouldn't have been named at all. There are reports that he didn't train today but that doesn't rule him out, could just be resting him so that he's good to go. The rest of the backline and halves is unchanged and speaks for itself.

Interesting pack. DSF named to start which is a bit of a surprise, I thought they would have Moale starting alongside Tom, who we really have no choice but to start. However, I'm not complaining as DSF has a bit of aggression and hopefully he can really rip in. Of course, this could change before game day too. Hosty and Hame still not fit sadly so Cheeks in the backrow and Jed onto the bench which I'm happy with.

Still not 100% sure if this is the line up we take the field with but if it is, I think it's a side capable of beating Penrith. Certainly gonna be tough but it can be done, it's just 17 men against 17 men at the end of the day.

Hurry up Thursday!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
with Arrow, Tatola, Sele, Host and Havili all out i think we will struggle here. We are pretty much fielding our reserve grade forward pack with Murray, Burgess and Koloamatangi.

Im an optimistic supporter but it will take a masterclass from our spine to pull off this win.

callmack1

Staff member
The challenge is made a bit tougher on Thursday night because the ref is bloody Grant Atkins. Everyone knows he's a Penrith man, so how he's allowed to ref Panthers' games is beyond me honestly.

Graham expecting a fired up Panthers outfit: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/07/graham-expecting-a-fired-up-panthers-outfit/

Cookie focused on playing the best brand of Football: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/07/cookie-focused-on-playing-the-bets-brand-of-football/

Combinations the key for Lachlan Ilias: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/07/combinations-the-key-for-lachlan-ilias/

Boys seem very focused and quietly confident. They know what's coming, they know it's a huge challenge but they know they can do it. I like the vibe they're giving off.

'Cracks in the windscreen' - Latrell's Panthers sledge lights fuse ahead of NRL grudge match: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8ab1085b933f63f6c444cbeba5d4fbfa

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Bunnies TV boys were at training today apparently and noted a few things,

Trell was there, wasn't training obviously but was kicking goals and looked okay apparently so that's another reallyu good sign. Would he be kicking goals if the knee wasn't any good?

Davvy didn't train apparently so not sure what the go is there. Maybe effects of that hit from Graham? They said if he's not good to go, Tallis Duncan to debut.

They also said that Jed came on for Keaon during the opposed session and played on the right edge so this tells us that is probably what will happen on game day and Keaon will most likely shift to the middle while Jed is on. Chee- Kam to punch out 80 again on the left. As long as Jed can hold that right side down defensively, I really like that. Strengthens the middle with Keaon going there for a bit.

They said the boys looked good and it was a pretty willing contact session.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Team list Tuesday again lessgooo!!

Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round Two against Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/07/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-two-against-panthers/

An Intriguing and exciting team list Tuesday that's for sure! We've named a pretty decent line up I think, considering the circumstances.

Obviously, the big one is that Trell has been named to play which is a positive sign. If he was no chance, he wouldn't have been named at all. There are reports that he didn't train today but that doesn't rule him out, could just be resting him so that he's good to go. The rest of the backline and halves is unchanged and speaks for itself.

Interesting pack. DSF named to start which is a bit of a surprise, I thought they would have Moale starting alongside Tom, who we really have no choice but to start. However, I'm not complaining as DSF has a bit of aggression and hopefully he can really rip in. Of course, this could change before game day too. Hosty and Hame still not fit sadly so Cheeks in the backrow and Jed onto the bench which I'm happy with.

Still not 100% sure if this is the line up we take the field with but if it is, I think it's a side capable of beating Penrith. Certainly gonna be tough but it can be done, it's just 17 men against 17 men at the end of the day.

Hurry up Thursday!!!
Happy for DSF, very keen to see how he will go.
Not gonna be a popular opinion, but no idea why we going again with Taafe on the bench. We should be using 4 fowards on the bench in this game.

handyman2190

Bench
Happy for DSF, very keen to see how he will go.
Not gonna be a popular opinion, but no idea why we going again with Taafe on the bench. We should be using 4 fowards on the bench in this game.
I think he is even more important on the bench considering trells knee may not hold up, looks like davy is not well because of grahams tackle, im not a jed fan i hope he goes ok

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Coaches Media Round 2 vs Panthers: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/08/jason-demetriou-coaches-media-round-2-v-panthers/

Gallery - Round 2 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/08/gallery-round-two-captains-run/

Yesssssss!!! Trell reportedly got through training and looked great! He's good to go and will be playing! Huge in, absolutely massive. Not just for our actual on-field performance, but for the mindset of the team as a whole. I for one feel so much more confident now that we know Trell is coming.

Ready and waiting for tomorrow. Fire up!!!!

Souths' Shout Round 2- Battle at the Foot of the Mountains: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...-round-2-battle-at-the-foot-of-the-mountains/

No cracks for Cleary as Latrell's words set up showdown: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/08/no-cracks-for-cleary-as-latrells-words-set-up-showdown/

'Shoots first, thinks later' - Latrell praised for Panthers sledge ahead of Souths' title acid: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...2/news-story/719316098ff14a205ef50afe7b839228

With Latrell Mitchell fit and firing, South Sydney want to widen the crack in Penrith's windscreen: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-08/south-sydney-rabbitohs-panthers-latrell-mitchell/102068954

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Yeah Penrith Referees Life Member Grant Atkins is refereeing tomorrow night boys, we have no hope. Penrith by 30