What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Warriors vs Rabbitohs: Friday 30th June 8pm @Go Media Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Very glad to be moving onto the next Round and completely dropping that game against the Cowboys. Of course, take our learnings from it but we've got to move on and look towards the next game pretty quick smart. It's a short turnaround this week as the boys head across the ditch, head over to my country to take on the Warriors in what has turned into an absolutely massive game. This is a genuine blockbuster now the way the Warriors are going, and the crowd reflects that as this game is sold out as of Sunday. It's become a huge game for us and a genuine challenge.

If we thought things were tough last week, unfortunately, things just get even tougher this week as we come up against a Warriors side that is no longer the Warriors of old. Being a kiwi, and having lots of mates that are Warriors fans, they're probably the other team I watch the most outside of us and I've got to say, their turnaround under Andrew Webster in 2023 has been absolutely incredible. They've really turned a corner and are a different team this year. So much so, that I think they're the real deal this year and they're capable of finishing in the top four, that's the way they're headed right now. Just their whole mentality is different, they have a really hard, steely edge to them, and they play a great brand of Footy. There's a lot of desire, resilience and accountability in this side now and they get all the one percenters right. They don't make errors, they put in effort after effort every week, and the results have been showing for them as they currently sit 5th. Honestly, when you look across their side, I struggle to see many weaknesses anymore. I won't go through all the names, we all know who's there, but it is a star-studded side that now has genuine strike and firepower all over the park. One of the most in-form packs in the game that constantly roll forward and lay the platform, followed up by a great halves pairing, and a backline that can do some real damage. The key to beating them this week is the forward battle, which will be easier said than done. If you can do that and get them on the backfoot for most of the game, you limit the impact of Johnson and co, which will go a long way to winning.

For us, it's time to put the foot down and say enough is enough. I'm sick of the way things have been and I'm sick of the way things are going. We've lost 4 of our last 5 and are terribly out of form right now. I'm absolutely sick of it and we've reached the point now where we can't afford to produce that sort of effort again this week or the Season will really start slipping away. I shudder to think what the Warriors will do to us on Friday night if we turn up like we did this weekend just gone, they'll absolutely kill us. So, we MUST stop the rot this week. We MUST steady the ship and get things back on track. We MUST stand up, take some pride in that mighty Red and Green jersey, and say 'enough is enough,' we need to be better. I'm sick of it and it ends this week. This game is not like any other we've had against the Warriors in recent years, far from it. This is now a genuine challenge, a genuine test of where we're at and where we're going. We're playing a team that's currently playing way better Footy than us in front of their home fans in what is going to be a very hostile environment, it doesn't get much bigger than that in terms of a test in the NRL. There should be no room for complacency this week, no room for being comfortable. We absolutely must see a response from our boys this week, we must see a bounce back if we want to get this Season back on track. Our attitude is the main thing that needs a complete turnaround and with a game like this, I see no reason why our attitude shouldn't be on. This is a great opportunity to really fire yourself up and rise to the occasion. We're more than capable of beating the Warriors IF, and that's now a real if, we can get our game right and give a good account of ourselves. We have a side that is capable of beating anyone, we have a side that is a bloody good Footy team and can win this comp if they get things right, we all know that. But after recent times, a lot of doubt has crept in, and I honestly don't know which Souths side is going to turn up. Over to you boys, show us that you want this. Our backs are well and truly against the wall and it's time to stand up.

What makes this game even bigger for me personally is that I'll be there! This is the first time I'll get to see my Rabbitohs play live since 2019. Can't wait man! Really can't. It's one of the most exciting games ever for me this one and despite most of the crowd being against me, I'll be doing everything I can to get the boys home. Being a Kiwi, playing the Warriors is always personal. I have a lot of mates that support them so if we were to lose, I'd never hear the end of it. Actually being there live just amplifies that.

Can't wait to be honest and I say bring on the challenge. I am a bit concerned but if anything, that just fires me up even more. We can do this lads!! I'll be right there with ya! All it takes is one win to turn things around, let's make it happen this week!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 18 against the Warriors,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Moale
16. Havili
17. Burgess

I've been thinking about it and reflecting on things today quite a bit and I actually don't think JD will make too many changes. I'm expecting Milne, Chee Kam and Havili in, but that's it. To be honest, I don't think we need wholesale changes, we know we have a team that is capable. The boys just need a big kick up the bum and a massive attitude adjustment.

That's just my opinion anyway, I know some will disagree.

Guess we'll find out pretty soon!

callmack1

Staff member

Thumper

Juniors
Here's my predicted line up for Round 18 against the Warriors,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Cartwright
15. Moale
16. Havili
17. Burgess

I've been thinking about it and reflecting on things today quite a bit and I actually don't think JD will make too many changes. I'm expecting Milne, Chee Kam and Havili in, but that's it. To be honest, I don't think we need wholesale changes, we know we have a team that is capable. The boys just need a big kick up the bum and a massive attitude adjustment.

That's just my opinion anyway, I know some will disagree.

Guess we'll find out pretty soon!
Just like any team no one has that much depth they and drop a heap of players. This is pretty standard of South’s to be fair. They start well usually. Struggle in the middle and fly home. Most years injuries cruel us at the back end. Hopefully this year the injuries cruel us for the first 20 weeks and then we are good to go

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 18 against Warriors: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-rd18-against-warriors

A very exciting and interesting team list Tuesday today!!

I'm content with what has been named to be honest, not far off what I predicted. A bit of a shame to see Kennar still picked, however, there is a bit of chat that Munro may make his debut this week but we won't know for sure until Thursday I guess.

Otherwise, the only other changes are Chee Kam in for Host and Havili and Mitchell join the bench. Cartwright has been dropped which is fair. No second rowers on the bench is my only concern, it's going to be interesting to see what JD's rotation looks like.

As I said earlier, we don't need positional changes as such, we need an attitude adjustment so I'm happy with the side named. We know we have one hell of a team there, but this week is all about attitude, so I hope JD is giving them a kick up the bum.

Hurry up and get here Friday!!

handyman2190

Bench
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 18 against Warriors: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-rd18-against-warriors

I'm content with what has been named to be honest, not far off what I predicted. A bit of a shame to see Kennar still picked, however, there is a bit of chat that Munro may make his debut this week but we won't know for sure until Thursday I guess.

Otherwise, the only other changes are Chee Kam in for Host and Havili and Mitchell join the bench. Cartwright has been dropped which is fair. No second rowers on the bench is my only concern, it's going to be interesting to see what JD's rotation looks like.

As I said earlier, we don't need positional changes as such, we need an attitude adjustment so I'm happy with the side named. We know we have one hell of a team there, but this week is all about attitude, so I hope JD is giving them a kick up the bum.

Dont worry about 2nd rowers,all those players are capable of slotting in

Steenson123

Juniors
The Bench looks sizeable and strong. Squad is going to need it. However I cannot understand what the policy is for Suluka-Fifita. Surely he and Moale have been groomed for starting positions? Suluka-Fifita is physically a beast and plays tough why import him but refuse to play him? He and Mitchell turned around the Canberra game a few weeks back.
I also cannot support Kennar and Taaffe at the back. I would try Gagai and Munro and Tass to kick. Taaffe and Kennar provide almost zero menace to any opponent NQ knew this and took liberties with their impotence.

Steenson123

Juniors
Squad needs t

Squad needs to do two main things.
First Defend defend defend.
Second aggressive kick chase. This is exactly what Penrith do to us every contest and what the NQ Malakas did to us constantly on Sunday.
Aggressive kick chase.
Oh and a more focused kicking game will also help i.e, no more kicks over the line. 3 last Sunday in Stanza One.

handyman2190

Bench
Squad needs t

Second aggressive kick chase. This is exactly what Penrith do to us every contest and what the NQ Malakas did to us constantly on Sunday.
Aggressive kick chase.
Oh and a more focused kicking game will also help i.e, no more kicks over the line. 3 last Sunday in Stanza One.
I love it!!! Malaka!!

Travitoh

First Grade
The Bench looks sizeable and strong. Squad is going to need it. However I cannot understand what the policy is for Suluka-Fifita. Surely he and Moale have been groomed for starting positions? Suluka-Fifita is physically a beast and plays tough why import him but refuse to play him? He and Mitchell turned around the Canberra game a few weeks back.
I also cannot support Kennar and Taaffe at the back. I would try Gagai and Munro and Tass to kick. Taaffe and Kennar provide almost zero menace to any opponent NQ knew this and took liberties with their impotence.
Campbell Graham at FB would be an interesting one. What I've seen of Gagai hasn't excited me. This would also make room for Karapani to come in at centre who has a bit about him.

callmack1

Staff member
Cameron Murray Media Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/cameron-murray-media-round-18

Campbell Graham Media Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/campbell-graham-media-round-18

Jed Cartwright Media Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/jed-cartwright-media-round-18

I enjoyed those interviews and hearing the boys' thoughts on our current situation. Liking their attitude, they're giving off and hopefully, it bodes well for Friday. Of course, it's all just talk right now, and we need to see action, but it's the first step.

callmack1

Staff member
Holy hecka I'm a ball of excitement right now!!!!

Just checked my emails to see this,

Screenshot 2023-06-27 220255.jpg

Sooooo friggin excited!!! I have just altered my plans, called my boss and told him I won't be in on Thursday so I can travel to Auckland tomorrow night and go to the captain's run on Thursday! Ohhhh how good!!!

This will be my first ever captain's run in person, first ever time I've seen them train in person actually.

Stoked the club is doing this!! Us loyal Kiwi members have been starved of having our team on our shores for four years now so it's brilliant that the club is doing this for us.

Not only will I get to see them play live for the first time since 2019 this week, but we get the captain's run too!

Not only that but looking forward to meeting other Kiwi members who are just as passionate as me. Really interested to see the turn out. We're really well supported over here but I have no idea how strong the membership base would be.

Very happy chappy right now! This is a big deal for me man, means so much.

I'll be sure to bring you all the latest updates from the captain's run this week!

Buzzing!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Squad needs t

Aggressive kick chase.
I love it!!! Malaka!!
Right now WE are playing like Malakas!!! from Awesome... to Malakas.

Steenson123

Juniors
A major concern is why Demetriou has failed to develop some upstart youngsters, capable of filling in during dim periods of the season.
The question he needs to answer is why the lack of development from young guys such as Suluka-Fifita, Karapani, Moale, Mamezolous, Taaffe etc. What has been the problem? And why is Munro not preferred over a sluggg like Kennar?? My Mother-In-Law provides a greater threat than Kennar does!!!
I mean Cleary is promoting guys virtually off the street and they do they job every game such as big Smith. These no names do not fall on the ground and allow opponets free passage down the park!! Who ever heard of that Smith dude yet he does much better than some of our starters!!!

Steenson123

Juniors
Well why d
Campbell Graham at FB would be an interesting one. What I've seen of Gagai hasn't excited me. This would also make room for Karapani to come in at centre who has a bit about him.
Well.... why does Karapni NOT get a start??? I have heard Roach and Spud on Fox Sp. rave about Karapani's talent likening him to Tuavasa-Sheck with footwork yet here he is treading H20. What exactly is the barrier ...yet Demetriou has no problem with duds like Kennar and Taaffe at FB!!!
If Demetriou is not careful players like Taaffe at FB and Kennar will get him sacked. Right now Demetriou is providing no solutions and its costing the team badly. Cleary and Bellamy have no trouble promoting and winning with their no name back-ups!!

handyman2190

Bench
A major concern is why Demetriou has failed to develop some upstart youngsters, capable of filling in during dim periods of the season.
The question he needs to answer is why the lack of development from young guys such as Suluka-Fifita, Karapani, Moale, Mamezolous, Taaffe etc. What has been the problem? And why is Munro not preferred over a sluggg like Kennar?? My Mother-In-Law provides a greater threat than Kennar does!!!
I mean Cleary is promoting guys virtually off the street and they do they job every game such as big Smith. These no names do not fall on the ground and allow opponets free passage down the park!! Who ever heard of that Smith dude yet he does much better than some of our starters!!!
We should poach smith,your right off the street and killing it

Hellray

Juniors
The one major concern with Munro is he is very small. If he was to come up against some of the larger wingers in the comp and centres he will get monstered and will be a speed bump.
He does have speed to burn though and some silky smooth skills with the ball, but he may just not be physically ready yet

Hellray

Juniors
Ka
Well why d

Well.... why does Karapni NOT get a start??? I have heard Roach and Spud on Fox Sp. rave about Karapani's talent likening him to Tuavasa-Sheck with footwork yet here he is treading H20. What exactly is the barrier ...yet Demetriou has no problem with duds like Kennar and Taaffe at FB!!!
If Demetriou is not careful players like Taaffe at FB and Kennar will get him sacked. Right now Demetriou is providing no solutions and it’s costing the team badly. Cleary and Bellamy have no trouble promoting and winning with their no name back-ups!!
Karapani defence leaves a lot to be desired it’s what is holding him back and having other players leap in front of him on the depth chart

callmack1

Staff member
Wot about this Round 18: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/wot-about-this-round-18

Gallery - The Boys Get Stuck into Training in Auckland: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/gallery-the-boys-get-stuck-into-training-in-auckland

Shaq in red. Does this mean he'll be starting or am I reading too much into it?

Shaky foundations - Why Roosters and Rabbitohs are causing NRL sleepless nights: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sh...ing-nrl-sleepless-nights-20230627-p5djvt.html

Write us off at your own peril I say.

Last edited: