What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 - Warriors vs Rabbitohs: Friday 30th June 8pm @Go Media Stadium

Steenson123

Juniors
Young Munro needs to stay there. Unless he appears down at training or plays horribly keep him there.
Munro has height, great hands [y'all see that midpark bomb he caught in the slushy pool when the game was alive??] and a sense of field awareness. He really looks the business, just what is required opposite Sir AJ.
In addition, I would like to know what has happened to Karapani. There has been a real need for him to emerge to rest Graham for weeks [that guy deserves the rest!!] and to help the squad overcome dopey Brad F and his nonsense.
Graham needs to sit for several weeks, his form has deteriorated and its due largely to that tender Sternum.

handyman2190

Bench
Young Munro needs to stay there. Unless he appears down at training or plays horribly keep him there.
Munro has height, great hands [y'all see that midpark bomb he caught in the slushy pool when the game was alive??] and a sense of field awareness. He really looks the business, just what is required opposite Sir AJ.
In addition, I would like to know what has happened to Karapani. There has been a real need for him to emerge to rest Graham for weeks [that guy deserves the rest!!] and to help the squad overcome dopey Brad F and his nonsense.
Graham needs to sit for several weeks, his form has deteriorated and its due largely to that tender Sternum.
I watch nsw cup, karapani whilst he is fast has a go is suspect in defence, he is also not the biggest, he would be a revolving door, he is young he just needs more work,last year he had a blood infection and missed most of the season,his time will come,but not this year.
Ive heard jed is negotiating with newcastle,we wont be resigning him which is good news, maybe we can get that smith from penrith,he hasnt been signed yet

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Jeez, we bounced back in a BIG way here, didn't we?!! Supremely impressive. The conditions were absolutely shocking. Honestly, the TV probably didn't do it justice how bad it was, probably some of the worst conditions I've ever been in live. Yet, despite this, the boys weren't deterred at all, and they played near perfect wet weather Footy. Our completion rate was ridiculously good in those conditions, 92%!! That's our highest of the year which is a testament to the boys' focus, execution, and attention to detail. Hust so impressed by that with the weather, it truly is amazing.

This allowed for a great attacking display in the wet weather. Our yardage sets, for the most part, were really good. Hats off to the entire forward pack who really rolled their sleeves up, showed some hunger that we haven't seen in many weeks, and really ripped in. We were certainly the more dominant team through the middle and that's no mean feat against this Warriors pack so well done to everyone for their yardage carries. Just great to see the entire team get that intensity back with their carries.

With the platform laid, the lads played a really good brand of wet weather Footy. A perfect mix of keeping it tight in the middle, but still playing Footy, using the ball, and shifting to our edges. We weren't overly conservative, and I thought our shifts looked really, really dangerous. Execution was top notch. The weather didn't make the boys go into their shell, they were still willing to throw it around and test the Warriors edge defence. We played patient Footy with the right mix of measured one percenters and dazzling, off the cuff play. This put the Warriors under a lot of pressure, especially in that second half.

Loved some of the tries we scored; they were all brilliant in their own way. I'll break them down a bit later when I do player-by-player, but to put 28 points on this Warriors side is a great effort. They're a good defensive side this year that shows a lot of resilience, so to break them down the way we did was awesome!

I just loved the energy over all too. You could see everyone was switched on and giving 100% for the first time in a while. The excitement, passion and energy shown in the try celebrations was great to see.

Defence

This was certainly the most pleasing part of Friday night's performance for mine. We all know the story of the past five weeks and how poor our defence had been, so the boys simply had to respond. And respond they did!!It was a fantastic defensive performance, back to the standards we set in the first 11 Rounds and we looked like that defensive unit once again.

The attitude was great! There was energy in our defence again which has been sorely lacking lately. The line speed was much better, our kick chase was how it should be, and you could just see all the effort areas that are so underrated, were back to the levels we were priding ourselves on earlier in the year.

Unlike recent weeks, the first contact was much better all round, and we were a lot better at both containing offloads, and actually getting the ball carrier to the ground by taking the legs. That was good to see.

On the goal line, we looked very hard to break down once again. Yea, they got us once, but that was it. Only one try in 80 minutes against a side that was in red-hot form coming into the game. We can't complain with that. Finally, our lads showed some real resilience to keep denying them time after time, no matter what they threw at us. I was particularly impressed with the defence in the first 20 minutes. This is what really set up the win. Our discipline was poor, and we were 5-0 down on the penalty count early on. This put us under immense pressure and the Warriors just kept coming. However, Red and Green jerseys just kept turning up for each other and we turned them away time and time again. Folded once, but that's it. We really weathered the storm in that period and in my opinion, that's what set up the win.

Just like our energy with the ball, it was great to see the energetic celebrations without the ball. Whenever there was an error from NZ, we dragged the ball carrier into touch, our denied them, you could see how pumped the whole team was. They all ran in and got around each other. I absolutely loved seeing that!

Player-By-Player

Taaffe: Nothing really super special, but I did think he had a good game. The weather was always going to be hard for any fullback, but he didn't put a foot wrong all night, did his job really well. Didn't have a particularly big hand in our attack but he did execute his role when needed. Was tested with a few bombs and caught every single one. Loved his try!! just the effort and desire he showed to get there, I watched it many times in awe. Taaffy comes from a mile back, waaaay back. He has to cover more ground than anyone else, yet it's him that got to the ball first. An amazing showing of effort and desire. His goal kicking was a bit mixed but it was really tough conditions so you can understand that.

Johnston: Great game for AJ. Firstly, I want to talk about his performance under the high ball because it was amazing. Constantly pressured, constantly peppered by Johnson, yet he swallowed every single one and made it look easy. That would have been so hard to do with heavy rain like that and a swirling breeze that was actually quite strong. hats off to him there. His carries were solid, and he put his hand up when needed. Awesome finish for both his tries (which now takes him to equal third on the all-time list). The first, Richie got him the ball early with a bit of space on the outside, and he showed us some great acceleration straight off the mark to completely burn DWZ and get the ball down. Then, his second try, he reads Cody's mind so well, anticipates the play, and gets himself in perfect position to take that kick and score. Brilliant!!! Well done AJ.

Kennar: Probably the real surprise packet out of the game. For me, he was my biggest concern coming into the game and I was really worried what the Warriors might to him. But man, what a game he had!! Happy to admit I was wrong about how he was going to go in this game. The conditions probably suited him as it was a heavier track and as a result, NZ couldn't really test him. However, you can only play what's in front of you and he did really well. Handled literally everything that came at him defensively, his hit ups were huge, and I liked his work rate. 112 meters from 17 runs is a great effort and it really helped take the pressure off the forwards. Had a hand in AJ's first try and that was a really good bit of play from him. Cody did the work inside to create the overlap, but Richie did well to realise DWZ had turned in slightly, and he got a nice pass away to AJ early before DWZ could recover. Underrated play because I reckon if he tries to go to the line and draw and pass, the Warriors right edge probably slide and cover it. But by giving AJ early ball, DWZ couldn't get across in time because of AJ's acceleration into space. I tip my hat to you Richie!

Milne: Much the same as Kennar, he was a bit of a worry coming in but proved me massively wrong. Again, the conditions probably did favor him but there's no denying how good he was. Man, I was impressed!! Probably our best back, and up there with our best for the night to be honest. Has carries coming out of our end were just huge! Constantly gave it everything he's got and as a result, he constantly won the collisions he was in. Countless times he was dragging defenders with him over the advantage line. His efforts are shown in the stats, 17 runs for a massive 164 meters! Second only to Hame for run meters. Very impressive. What's more, he had a few offloads early in the game that really helped to get us on the front foot and get some momentum going when we were under the pump. Defensively, he barely put a foot wrong apart from that high tackle late in the game. brilliant stuff Taane!! One of our best in his hometown! Pretty cool.

Munro: Woooohoooooo!!! I think we all know this kid is something special, but I certainly didn't expect him to come out and play that well in his first game. As an 18-year-old, to come out and debut like that away in a different country with a lot of pressure on you is amazing. Clearly, nothing phases this kid. While he did get rag dolled on a couple of runs, I thought he held his own pretty damn well with the tough stuff. he certainly wasn't shirking it and he was keen to rip in, put his hand up and get involved. Even covering kicks, he handled all that well. Did have a couple of errors but they were in some tough situations so you can't be too harsh. Fantastic to see him score, a reward for his hard work. He had a fair bit to do to get to that kick but look at the effort he put in. Of course, his speed helps but that's all effort and want for mine. Even once he did get there, it's not easy to take a kick like that in the wet, at speed, and with a lot of pressure on you but he nailed it! Very classy. We got to see him at it again late in the game as he made that break down the right, showed us a bit of his electric speed, and then put in a beautiful kick that was perfectly place and weighted for Taaffe to score. Amazing play on debut! finished up with 13 runs for 84 meters, 2 line breaks, a try assist, 1 try, 1 tackle with none missed, a few kicks defused and just a couple of errors which you can't blame him for. One hell of a debut! I know it's just one game, but I hope we've now found our right winger. I'm impressed!

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Returned to form with a bang!! Man of the match for mine with a performance that can only be described as magnificent. He tore the Warriors to shreds all game and they simply didn't know how to handle him. He probed early one with some nice ball playing, before finding success in the 22nd minute with a nice play to the left. Cody gets the ball at first receiver and sums up the situation perfectly as he holds the ball up just long enough to suck two defenders in on Chee Kam who is the lead runner. He identifies this and fires a nice pass, creating the overlap and allowing Kennar and AJ to do the rest. Continued to look dangerous in the first half after this but his second half was even better. The play that he forced the line drop out off was vintage Cody, amazing play. I think it was shortly after that that Cody strike again. This time, he gets the ball at second receiver, but Johnson rushes up on him. Cody is elusive enough to evade this, skip away and in a split second, he looks up, sees the space and delivers it on a platter for AJ with one of the best chip kicks for a try you'll see. Amazing. Again, towards the end of the game, he helps put a nail in the coffin by delivering that beautiful cut out pass to Munro who does the rest with Taaffe. On top of all this attacking brilliance, his kicking game was very good in the wet and his defence was top notch. Nothing got by him. Thanks for putting on a show for me Cody! Man of the match.

Ilias: Pretty good, certainly much better than what he was been, and I thought he bounced back well. His kicking game, while still not outstanding, was pretty solid and much improved on recent weeks. He did pretty well really. Still did enough to make it tough for the Warriors to get any really good field position in that second half especially. We also have to remember he was kicking into a pretty strong breeze in that first half so really, he did well. There were a couple of kicks in particular late in the game that were some good signs of him managing the game. He straightened our attack really well and was a big reason why our edges looked so silky and dangerous in the wet. Started the movement for our last try, and had a try assist of his own with that brilliant kick for Munro. That was a great play to recognise there was no one there at the back, lob the kick through the air so no Warriors could play at it with their feet, and place it perfectly for Munro. probably the best thing for Lachy was seeing his defensive resolve return. NOTHING got passed him. He made plenty of crucial tackles and it was great to see him stand tall in this area once again.

Tatola: God he was good! Watching it there live, I knew he was having a good game but upon watching the replay, he went even better than I thought! Really led the way. Plenty of work and some huge carries all game. Played very well in both stints and really took it to their pack with 14 carries for a massive 144 meters! A really good defensive knock too. 28 tackles with none missed. One of our best.

Havili: Started the game at hooker in a bit of a shake up and went pretty well. Very solid. He held his own there and didn't do anything wrong at all. His service was good, and he had a couple of good darts from dummy half. Couldn't really do much in attack as most of the time he was on at dummy half was spent on the back foot at the start of the game. Came on later back in the middle and had an impressive stint.

Burgess: A change to the line up and he started the game for the first time in a while. Went decently well, nothing bad at all, probably just not his usual output. 7 runs for 72 meters is a bit down on numbers by his standards. So he wasn't at his best but still did his job. Constantly tried to inspire his teammates in defence as he ran out of the line a lot and tried to put shots on.

Koloamatangi: One of our best the other night! No doubt about that. While there were no big attacking plays from him and he didn't see a lot of clean ball attacking the line, it certainly didn't take away from the quality of his performance. He was absolutely massive for us with his hit ups. Ran with plenty of aggression and purpose as he constantly got us out of trouble. One of our best meter eaters with 155 meters. Probably over-committed a bit on that Warriors try which forced Munro to come in but it didn't cost us, and Keaon was very good defensively aside from that. Just a colossal effort that he should be pretty proud of.

Chee Kam: I'm gonna say that was probably one of his better games of the Season. Didn't put a foot wrong and as always, nothing special but he did his job. His run right before Cam's try was pretty damaging, and I think that's a reason why Cam slipped through so easily because Cheeks' carry sucked a few defenders in. However, it was more his work in defence that impressed me. Go back and have a look at how many plays he shuts down on Friday night, a lot of people won't recognise his efforts there but us Souths fans do.

Murray: Great to see our skipper bounce back from his worst game of the year, turn it all around in five days, and play one of his best! Cam was very, very good. Probably one of the better showings I've seen from him in terms of leadership. Not only leading from the front with his actions as he put the whole forward pack on his back, but also with the way he handled the referee. I saw him constantly chatting to Klein about things. After the Warriors first try, He went and spoke to the ref and was very animated. Is a coincidence that the penalties started to even up since then? No, I don't think so. But aside from all that, focusing on what he actually did on the field, he was just as good as he always is. Great ball playing through the middle in the wet conditions and his runs were just awesome! Cracked the 100-meter mark. Cleaned up a lot in the middle in defence too with 37 tackles and only a couple missed. Fantastic try too!! Identified the space, called the play off Cooky, ran a good line and went straight over. Inspirational stuff all game from him.

Cook: Cooky was excellent. A change of tactics as he came on about 20 minutes in. I wasn't sure about it, but it did work to some degree. The sting had been taken out of the game and Cooky did make a bit of a difference once he came on. There weren't too many opportunities out of dummy half, but he took what he could, and I thought he was pretty hard done by to not get a penalty or six-again at times. In weather like that, his service had to be spot on and thankfully, it was. Brilliant in fact, highlighted by his pass to Cam in the lead up to AJ's second. Obviously, he provided the try assist for Cam with a crafty pass and don't underestimate the role he plays in Munro's try either. he skittles from dummy half a bit, and this creates a bit of doubt in the Warriors defensive line. Because Cook is running the ball, they can't jam in on Lachy in case it creates a hole for Cooky. This gave Lachy a tiny bit more time to execute that kick. As always too, Damien put in a big effort in defence.

Mitchell: Very good! He didn't play a whole lot of minutes but the minutes he did play were quality. Really made an impact when he came on and really made a difference. Helped to turn the tide in our favor. His carries were very strong and he often found his front for a quick play-the-ball. 10 runs for 96 meters.

Moale: Pretty solid. Nothing special but he certainly contributed to the result. A good stint with 10 runs for 79.

Sele: Been criticised for being a bit out of form lately but far out, he was amazing on Friday night!!! Our best forward hands down, and very close to our best player. Right from when he got on and had his first run, it was very good, and I remember saying to my mate, 'Sele is in for a big game.' He just had that look about him. So much energy in his runs, so much aggression. There was a lot of them too, a very high work rate and he didn't stop the whole time he was on the field. 16 runs for a game high 180 meters. Insane effort! great stuff Hame!

Ahhh man, I'm just so stoked to get the win. It proves everything I've been saying all Season about the attitude too. We didn't necessarily do too much different on Friday night, it was the attitude that was different. Attitude in everything, in all areas of the game. The other night was back to the attitude we showed in the first 11 Rounds and look at how we went! We looked like we were back to being that team. We have the team. Honestly, it's all attitude.

Credit to JD and the coaching staff, whatever they did and said during the week worked. An amazing week of coaching performance clearly. But also, credit to the players for being open to that, sorting it out and turning it around.

I said it on Friday night, but I'll say it again. That game is up there with one of our greatest backs against the wall wins of all time. Missing Trell, Arrow, Graham and Tass, in terrible form leading in, playing a side who was looking like a top four side, playing in another country at their home ground, playing in those weather conditions. Just cannot describe how big of a win this is.

Great to be there to witness it all. Had THE BEST couple of days. Been really enjoying this win and lapping it all up.

I really hope this is the win that sparks things again, fully snaps us out of the slump and gets us going again. It has to be! We have to make sure it is. The challenge now is to carry this from now on and keep it up. Continue playing like that and we'll be very hard to beat.

Over to you boys.

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Feel a bit sad to be moving on from this game and this week. Memories that will last a lifetime for me.

Steenson123

Juniors
I watch nsw cup, karapani whilst he is fast has a go is suspect in defence, he is also not the biggest, he would be a revolving door, he is young he just needs more work,last year he had a blood infection and missed most of the season,his time will come,but not this year.
Ive heard jed is negotiating with newcastle,we wont be resigning him which is good news, maybe we can get that smith from penrith,he hasnt been signed yet
D'accord. That Smith is what used to termed a "goer". Non stop will not quit. The only issue for him may be his slender frame which in continual A Grade battle i.e, week in/out may see him go under.
Hear what you say about Karapani. However, I must admit the time he played against NQ in a pre-season contest up there in Malakaville a season or two back he looked very good.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
D'accord. That Smith is what used to termed a "goer". Non stop will not quit. The only issue for him may be his slender frame which in continual A Grade battle i.e, week in/out may see him go under.
Hear what you say about Karapani. However, I must admit the time he played against NQ in a per-season contest up there in Malakaville a season or two back he looked very good.
He will come good,just needs time, smith is killing it at penrith,a clear improvment on jed

Steenson123

Juniors
Don't know if any of y' got to Heffron Centre post-game on Saturday 1st. Official opening of the training Centre.
I did, I live nearby in the Inner West, and the players were terrific. Cody was absolutely swamped by children and adults alike swarmed all over him. He did all, what everyone of them asked, signing, picturing laughing etc. It was great to watch.
Big Shaq too was up close and he was continually asked about you know who. He gestured threw his arms up and stated " No I have not seen him. Last week .. saw him he went that way up the stairs and me this way. We did not speak". Must say Shaq has lost a ton of weight his legs are very lean.
Tom B was there later and so too Graham. Tom is a very softly spoken pleasant dude for such a strong fit looking giant. Graham is easily the tallest in the squad. He did not seem to be suffering at all.
Taaffe was jogging around the fence area, briefly signing autographs, he looks chunkier and a bit larger in person. He looked cocky and chippy with folks.
Tass too was there standing in the crowd right next to myself and signing for one and all. He must have taken 100 photos he too got swamped because he stood in the crowd area. He seems very friendly.
Overall its a very nice Centre: food is quite good and the squad clothing is good to buy too. Get youselves there someday I'm definetly going back!