What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2KY & The Big Sports Breakfast

Life's Good

Coach
Slats was at it again this morning big noting himself about buying the new iphone X.
Who cares? It a sports show not a bloody gadget show. If he can afford to waste money on expensive purchases good luck to him, but keep it to himself.
He is probably most excited about the improved camera. He will get better quality 'upskirt' pictures.

Generalzod

Immortal
I love summer relaxing by doing a few bombs down the platforms at Gunamatta bay but you know what really bores me it’s Cricket especially Slater how this bloke is given a gig in the media is beyond me..

Last edited:

Blade23

Juniors
About time they changed the Sydney Kings ad or got rid off it. Its blatant false advertising.

Life's Good

Coach
He’s out. After 10 years Slats is leaving BSB.
His heavy breathing was replaced by tears this morning.
I wonder who takes his spot?

Lemon Squash

First Grade
As much as I didn’t rate him as a presenter, he does seem like a genuine decent fella.. did he mention what his next plans were?

Jimmy Smith would be the front runner to replace him I’d guess.. The other main fill-ins already have full time jobs, Stu Clark works for NSWRL and Webster obviously for the Herald.

As far as I know Jimmy does a bit for Sky a bit for Fox sports and then just does functions etc to make a quid

Blade23

Juniors
I wonder if Slats departure is anything to do with his mystery 6 week absence earlier this year?

I hope his replacement isn't the 'know all Jimmy Smith'.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I only get to listen to a smidgen of the show between 5.30 & 6.20, took me a while to warm to Slats but if anyone off the standby mob should replace him it should be Stuart Clarke!.

Life's Good

Coach
Stuart Clarke or Matt Burke would be my pick.
Clarke has genuine passion for league & Burke is pretty fair handed as a Union bloke. Both of them bring a degree of intelligence when they are on.

Stallion

First Grade
Stuart Clarke or Matt Burke would be my pick.
Clarke has genuine passion for league & Burke is pretty fair handed as a Union bloke. Both of them bring a degree of intelligence when they are on.

I would suggest Burke puts a pro union agenda on in his own way. It would have been great if Burke was allowed to have the option to play league or union in his private school years. Having been only allowed to play union does not give him an allround experience of the codes. It would be even more impressive if he mentioned this inability to play both codes as a regret/ or unfair aspect of his time playing sport at his chosen private school. With this in mind , Burke could be a 'champion' for the long overdue cause of allowing rugby league as a sport option in elite private schools. You never know?!

Life's Good

Coach
I would suggest Burke puts a pro union agenda on in his own way. It would have been great if Burke was allowed to have the option to play league or union in his private school years. Having been only allowed to play union does not give him an allround experience of the codes. It would be even more impressive if he mentioned this inability to play both codes as a regret/ or unfair aspect of his time playing sport at his chosen private school. With this in mind , Burke could be a 'champion' for the long overdue cause of allowing rugby league as a sport option in elite private schools. You never know?!
Pro union isn’t necessarily anti league. Matt Bourke is pretty fair minded and brings a level of intelligence that is refreshing when you consider the knuckledraggers jamming up the airwaves and tv. My opinion of course.

Stallion

First Grade
Pro union isn’t necessarily anti league. Matt Bourke is pretty fair minded and brings a level of intelligence that is refreshing when you consider the knuckledraggers jamming up the airwaves and tv. My opinion of course.

Not necessarily, I agree. But their is probably a good book or three and if a decent investigative journalist committed to informing of rugby league's struggles I'd say being 'pro union' has a bit to do with stopping/limiting rugby league's presence in most places? This is not to say that their are plenty of union (whom are decent)people unaware of what's been going on against RL, but I suspect a fair few do. It's probably those that don't want to know that causes most concern. Then again, the dudes that do know of this underhandedness are out there and continue on their despicable path of poor sportsmanship and unfairness toward the code of RL.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Not necessarily, I agree. But their is probably a good book or three and if a decent investigative journalist committed to informing of rugby league's struggles I'd say being 'pro union' has a bit to do with stopping/limiting rugby league's presence in most places? This is not to say that their are plenty of union (whom are decent)people unaware of what's been going on against RL, but I suspect a fair few do. It's probably those that don't want to know that causes most concern. Then again, the dudes that do know of this underhandedness are out there and continue on their despicable path of poor sportsmanship and unfairness toward the code of RL.
I’d say leagues constant shooting of itself in the foot has more to do with keeping league pegged back than any outside influence. Super League, lack of expansion, salary cap/TPA imbalance to name a few things. It’s time league grew up, tackled these sorts of things head on and got on with growing the game. Question is, will they?

Stallion

First Grade
I’d say leagues constant shooting of itself in the foot has more to do with keeping league pegged back than any outside influence. Super League, lack of expansion, salary cap/TPA imbalance to name a few things. It’s time league grew up, tackled these sorts of things head on and got on with growing the game. Question is, will they?

I'd suggest confronting fundamental issues such as no presence in elite private schools would stop/ negate the seemingly never ending rot! It's clearly a superior code but has been well and truelly hampered by systemic/structural impediments (like the private school lack of access)which leads to further incompetence in persons running the game and ofcourse the game coping with a wide berth at the top end of town. I'd say that area is the source of rugby league's issues and as long as that exists it will negate rugby league's rightful growth.

Blade23

Juniors
Bevy of big names lining up to replace Michael Slater
by Andrew Webster

A constellation of sparkly sporting superstars has already been linked to the vacant co-host gig at the Big Sports Breakfast after an emotional Michael Slater quit last Friday.

The former Australian Test opening batsman stunned listeners when he revealed it would be his final appearance after a decade of informative, robust and often whacky gibber alongside Terry Kennedy. Both of them shed tears on-air, God love 'em.
By the end of the day, the managers of various retired sports stars were lighting up the switchboard like there was a trucker hat giveaway, getting in contact about their clients possibly coming on board.

Names that have already been linked to the job include former Wallaby and Ten sports reader Matt Burke, former NSW Origin coach Laurie Daley, Penrith legend Greg Alexander and the great Gorden Tallis, the former Broncos firebrand who has the potential to cut through with the show's expanding Queensland base.
"Dan Rather's not available, and while Bruce McAvaney is a good friend, he doesn't know enough about rugby league," Kennedy joked. "I can't add to any of the speculation but I can say to whoever takes it on that a double flat white will quickly become your best friend."

Burke has been a regular fill-in host this year for Slater when he hasn't been available. Another option for Sky Sports Radio execs is Jimmy Smith, the show's long-time Sunday host.

Kennedy is on holidays and will be back on-air on January 22 but a decision on Slater's replacement won't be rushed. Indeed, producers are waiting for the silly season to end before they talk to as many candidates as possible.
There has been much speculation in the last week that Slater is about to join Mark Geyer on Triple M's Rush Hour with MG, which will start in the new year.

Tired of the 3am starts so he can host breakfast alongside Matty Johns and Gus Worland on The Grill Team, Geyer moves to the afternoon drive show with Dan Ginnane to concentrate on rugby league commentary in 2018.

"News to me, brother," MG chuckled when contacted about the Slats speculation. Turns out there was nothing in it, although Slater was apparently approached last year about joining Triple M but he was under contract to the Big Sports Breakfast. As it stands, Slater has no options next year except for his commitments with Channel Nine.

"My time at the Big Sports Breakfast, much like my cricket career, was very fulfilling and satisfying," Slater said. "I had a very special relationship with TK, which made the decision to leave very difficult. But it was time for a change."

We wish Slats – a good man and operator – all the best.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/bevy-of...-michael-slater-on-radio-20171228-h0ay59.html

Stallion

First Grade
Bevy of big names lining up to replace Michael Slater
by Andrew Webster

A constellation of sparkly sporting superstars has already been linked to the vacant co-host gig at the Big Sports Breakfast after an emotional Michael Slater quit last Friday.

The former Australian Test opening batsman stunned listeners when he revealed it would be his final appearance after a decade of informative, robust and often whacky gibber alongside Terry Kennedy. Both of them shed tears on-air, God love 'em.
By the end of the day, the managers of various retired sports stars were lighting up the switchboard like there was a trucker hat giveaway, getting in contact about their clients possibly coming on board.

Names that have already been linked to the job include former Wallaby and Ten sports reader Matt Burke, former NSW Origin coach Laurie Daley, Penrith legend Greg Alexander and the great Gorden Tallis, the former Broncos firebrand who has the potential to cut through with the show's expanding Queensland base.
"Dan Rather's not available, and while Bruce McAvaney is a good friend, he doesn't know enough about rugby league," Kennedy joked. "I can't add to any of the speculation but I can say to whoever takes it on that a double flat white will quickly become your best friend."

Burke has been a regular fill-in host this year for Slater when he hasn't been available. Another option for Sky Sports Radio execs is Jimmy Smith, the show's long-time Sunday host.

Kennedy is on holidays and will be back on-air on January 22 but a decision on Slater's replacement won't be rushed. Indeed, producers are waiting for the silly season to end before they talk to as many candidates as possible.
There has been much speculation in the last week that Slater is about to join Mark Geyer on Triple M's Rush Hour with MG, which will start in the new year.

Tired of the 3am starts so he can host breakfast alongside Matty Johns and Gus Worland on The Grill Team, Geyer moves to the afternoon drive show with Dan Ginnane to concentrate on rugby league commentary in 2018.

"News to me, brother," MG chuckled when contacted about the Slats speculation. Turns out there was nothing in it, although Slater was apparently approached last year about joining Triple M but he was under contract to the Big Sports Breakfast. As it stands, Slater has no options next year except for his commitments with Channel Nine.

"My time at the Big Sports Breakfast, much like my cricket career, was very fulfilling and satisfying," Slater said. "I had a very special relationship with TK, which made the decision to leave very difficult. But it was time for a change."

We wish Slats – a good man and operator – all the best.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/bevy-of...-michael-slater-on-radio-20171228-h0ay59.html

Laurie Daley an interesting option! Would be good I suggest.