What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons State of Origin possibles & probables.

SBD82

Coach
I'm pretty sure sterlo is no longer involved and brandy is, so the old favourites might not still be so and we may see a few new smokeys selected.

Who knows, they may even try something as radical as picking the players in the best form...
Ha. I've been optimistic for a long time, but they've worn me down.

As you say, new selectors, and that may make a difference, but I've been fooled before.

watatank

Coach
Frizell is the only certainty. Hunt should retain his spot.

Vaughan and De Belin should both make it but they might also be competing for one spot. Fifita not playing and losing McLean should help their causes greatly.

Sims didn't make it when he was really rated back in the day, don't see how he makes it now. You never know with winning teams, though.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons’ Blues aspirants on Fittler’s radar
Dragons Den News
r825_0_4316_2877_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN CONTENTION: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has it straight from the horse’s mouth – several of his stars are edging towards State of Origin selection.

The horse in this case is new NSW coach Brad Fittler, who has let McGregor know that the Dragons 4-0 start to the season hasn’t escaped his attention.

It’s likely only injury will keep Tyson Frizell out of the blue jumper he’s worn for the past two seasons, but the likes of Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims, Cameron McInnes and Euan Aitken have all put their hand up in their side’s flying start to the season.

Fittler has been an unabashed fan of the Dragons crop of Blues hopefuls, in particular de Belin and Vaughan, in his role as a channel nine commentator.

His ascension to the NSW coaching role has thrown open the door for a new breed of Blues aspirants, but McGregor said his crop of hopefuls need to produce consistently good form to make the representative leap.

“Every player that plays wants to play at the highest level which is representative footy,” McGregor said.

“Brad’s mentioned it plenty of times, that he wants the Sydney teams to be doing well around Origin time.

“Origin time is round 12 and there’s a fair bit of footy to be played between now and round 12.

“Are they in form, yes, do I think they’re Origin players, absolutely, but they’ll need to be consistent for a lot more than four weeks to get those honours.

“They’ve got to oust people who are currently there that are Australian [Test] players that have been Origin players for a long time.

“As I say to the boys, if they’re team’s doing really well, and they’re a part of that team that’s doing really well around Origin time, they’ll pick form players because it’s a fresh new look.

“Brad’s mentioned that many a time, and he’s told me we have got players that are in contention, but only if they’re playing consistently well in clubland.”

The representative season is shaping as a real juggling act for McGregor, with Ben Hunt’s form likely to see him remain in the Queensland 17 as either a replacement for Cooper Cronk at halfback or as a bench utility.

If fit, Gareth Widdop and James Graham will also be part of Wayne Bennett’s England squad for its Test clash with New Zealand in Denver in June.

It complicates a period of the season the Dragons have traditionally struggled to navigate and McGregor admitted he has already given some thought to contingency planning.

“Certainly we’ve looked at that part of the year and what we can do differently to what we have done in the past,” McGregor said.

“We haven’t always ridden it that well and we’ve also got a few injuries out of it at different stages. Fortunately enough we’ve got a couple of [key] guys there who aren’t in Origin, they’re Internationals for other countries.

“I’ve mentioned it before, the balance of our squad is a bit deeper this year with youth and experience. We’ve got guys that have debuted last year, and the year before, that are more hardened to handle that time around Origin.

“You can put all these things in place but you don’t know until you get there who you’re going to miss and who you’re going to have out.

“Certainly winning like we are at the moment is a benefit, that’s for sure.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5325304/dragons-blues-aspirants-on-fittlers-radar/?cs=3713

Walpole

Juniors
Frizell is the only certainty. Hunt should retain his spot.

Vaughan and De Belin should both make it but they might also be competing for one spot. Fifita not playing and losing McLean should help their causes greatly.

Sims didn't make it when he was really rated back in the day, don't see how he makes it now. You never know with winning teams, though.
I reckon this is pretty spot on. Friz is a certainty, Hunt probably off the bench for QLD (is Cronk still playing Origin this year?) and at least one of Vaughan and JDB (possibly both) should be there. I doubt that Aitken, Sims or McInnes will get a look in unless there are injuries, but I guess hooker is a bit up in the air. Maybe a McInnes/Damien Cook combination if they don't want to stick with Peats?

But seriously, I'm at a loss for halfback, you couldn't go past Maloney at 5/8 at the moment.

Hey here's a thought.
If international players can change their natiionality at the drop of a hat, why don't we see if Hunt likes the colour blue

SBD82

Coach
But seriously, I'm at a loss for halfback, you couldn't go past Maloney at 5/8 at the moment.

Hey here's a thought.
If international players can change their natiionality at the drop of a hat, why don't we see if Hunt likes the colour blue
Yeah. The stocks are thin.

As much as Pearce is now the best of the eligible halves, it's just so f**king tiring watching him shit the bed every year.

If they can find an in form 6 in the next few weeks I'd be happy to see Maloney play as an on the ball 7. He was great for the panthers last week playing that role.

BennyV

Referee

As much as Pearce is now the best of the eligible halves, it's just so f**king tiring watching him shit the bed every year.

If they can find an in form 6 in the next few weeks I'd be happy to see Maloney play as an on the ball 7. He was great for the panthers last week playing that role.
Keary

I'm used to Pearce shitting the bed, it's comforting somehow.

Crush

Coach
I think it all depends on our next 5 weeks form. We could lose the next 5 in a row and then I would suggest not many players at all will get selected. I think a lot of people here are expecting us to be winning the comp when origin rolls around, that may not be the case.
We have some very tough games coming up.

I think it all depends on our next 5 weeks form. We could lose the next 5 in a row and then I would suggest not many players at all will get selected. I think a lot of people here are expecting us to be winning the comp when origin rolls around, that may not be the case.
We have some very tough games coming up.

Expecting? I thought we already had won the comp?

dragon thomo

Juniors
I am watching tonights game and I have to say Woods and Klemer are terrible. Vahuan Gillard are certainty to be in for NSW especially with Maclean out. Maybe Tamou or Boyd could be rotation as theres not much else out there.

Latest posts