What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons State of Origin possibles & probables.

Uplifting

Juniors
I'd say that certainties are Friz (replaced by Host, if he's not already in the side) and Vaughan (replaced by LAM in the starting line and Kerr on the bench).

Possibles are JDB (replaced by Sele), McInnes (replaced by who f**ken knows, probably Nichols), Hunt (replaced by Mann probably).

Outside chance is Sims, but I dont think NSW would go that way unless Cordner is injured and Graham is suspended!
Benny, regarding a hooker to replace McInness on the chance he plays SOO, does anyone know how Reece Robson is playing in ISP? To use OT’s analogy, he also is built like a Roman statue.

BennyV

Referee
Benny, regarding a hooker to replace McInness on the chance he plays SOO, does anyone know how Reece Robson is playing in ISP? To use OT’s analogy, he also is built like a Roman statue.
Haven’t watched him, but it’s an insanely big ask for a young player to debut in first grade for 80 mins at hooker.

Eastview

Juniors
Haven’t watched him, but it’s an insanely big ask for a young player to debut in first grade for 80 mins at hooker.
Brailey did it last year for the Sharks with no issues and I've been told Robson is a better prospect than him, if you're good enough you're old enough.

st.phil

Bench
When I mentioned last year Mciness will play origin within 12mnths the majority in this forum laughed at me! He may miss out (just) but he will go very close to being chosen over Peats.
JDB is a certainty on the bench IMO - he's the best and hardest defender in the NRL and in origin it's all about defence..
FRIZZELL will start
Vaughan will be on the bench - can't see Woods being picked
Hunt will be starting hooker for Qld IMO
Nene Mcdonald is the smokey if he keeps scoring - the best winger behind Fergurson at bringing the ball out from the back - which is so important in origin. I can't see Fittler picking Fergurson due to discipline - Trobejevic has one wing spot sewed up.
SIMMS - no chance as there's way too many back rowers in front of him.
Fittler has been praising fergo all year, he will be in the side

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons forward Tariq Sims to stake claim for State of Origin berth
Dragons Den News
r0_70_3475_2031_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Breaking through: Tariq Sims will aim to get one over his Origin rivals against the Sharks on Friday night. Picture: Adam McLean.

St George Illawarra Dragons forward Tariq Sims has made no secret of his desire to play State of Origin and he views Friday’s clash with Cronulla as a key opportunity to stake his claim.

Sims has entered a rich vein of form of late, with the back rower playing a key role in the Dragons unbeaten start to the season.

He will line up on Friday night opposite current Blue Wade Graham, former Blues captain Paul Gallen and prop Andrew Fifita, who has recently declared his intent to represent Tonga above NSW.

Sims is determined to put on a performance that impresses NSW coach Brad Fittler’s eye.

“I’m making no bones about it,” Sims said. “I want to be in that team, I want to be in that squad, I want to be a part of the Blues. There’s a lot of things I need to do to show Brad Fittler before I hopefully get picked.

“No doubt [this is an opportunity to impress]. Wade Graham, he’s been a great footballer for a long time. He’s a big, strong, aggressive bloke that can also ball play.

“It’s no secret what I need to do, I need to make sure I’m getting my reps in at training, making sure I’m focusing on the little things for our team and we can score points on the back of that.”

Sims is one of a host of Dragons forwards pressing their claims for Origin selection, with Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes and Jack de Belin looking to join Tyson Frizell in a Blues jumper.

The key to Sims’ chances, he believes, is his ability to play multiple positions.

“I just need to continue being a consistent footballer. I can play in the middle, I can play on the edge, back row, it’s not like it’s a foreign thing to me. I can play left side, I can play right side, so it’s up to me to keep playing good, solid, strong football to impress Brad.”

Heading into the season, Sims was no certainty to start for the Dragons, with Luciano Leilua leading a host of back rowers pushing for selection. It’s this competition for positions that Sims believes has triggered the impressive run of form.

“We’ve got some great depth here and a lot of players that could easily step into a starting role if needed. I think that pressure of trying to keep that starting spot is definitely motivating me.”

The Dragons defeated Cronulla in round two in a scrappy affair and Sims knows the Dragons forwards must lay the platform for victory by nullifying the Sharks big pack.

“They have a strong pack, obviously they’ve got big Fifita and he moves like an edge back rower. We’ve got to make sure we’re putting pressure on him and, pretty much all their forwards. They’ve been doing a really good job and keeping a very mobile pack together. It’s up to us to take the fight to them.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5336059/origin-audition-for-sims/?cs=3713

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think Simms has been one of the form forwards in the comp this year. I think he would be suited origin. I think his form has been better than Cordner. I hope he gets picked. Imagine if we had Simms, Frizell, Vaughn and DeBelin all picked for origin. With Graham playing for England, we would have an all representative pack besides McInnes who is also being mentioned as a possible chance too (I think Cook or Koroisau will be pick for NSW). Then our pack would gain the recognition as the best pack in the game, like I suggested it was 2 or 3 weeks ago. Gee we have got a tough backrow. I like the idea of other packs fearing us.

Life's Good

Coach
Id expect Friz to make the NSW side as an incumbent who is in very good form. I'd like to see JDB get a run but, as mentioned, he probably gets pipped by Jurbo although if form counted for anything JDB gets chosen ahead of Josh Jackson, one of the great selection myths of the last few years.
Vaughan should be the first prop chosen given his sustained run of good form since he joined us last year and the fact that Woods is a stat chaser of the highest order. As good as McInnes is going I can't see him getting a gig ahead of Cook or Korisau.
Hunt for Qld seems about right although DCE would be in the frame.

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Dragons rep hopefuls calling their shot
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3888_2549_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HONEST CALL: Jack de Belin has openly stated his desire to win an Origin debut this season. Picture: NRL Photos

THERE’S been a mixed reaction to Dragons players openly pushing their case for Origin selection.

Jack de Belin has led the charge, stating his belief that he’s “made for Origin,” while Tariq Sims has been equally vocal.

The likes of Cam McInnes, Paul Vaughan and Euan Aitken have been more measured, but just as firm in their desire to play in that arena.

Some call it cocky but, as someone who spends a fair chunk of his time wading through tired cliches, it’s nothing short of refreshing.

One thing’s certain, it’s music to the ears of NSW coach Brad Fittler. What’s also refreshing is Paul McGregor’s attitude to his players open pitch.

Plenty of coaches would seek the muzzle players on the topic, but he said on Thursday he feels no need to rein his charges in.

“All players, if they’re honest, will say they want to play Origin,” he said.

“Certainly, if a player comes out and puts that on the line it means he’s going to go out there and play, and do it on a weekly basis. It’s a player backing his belief in himself and I love that.

“There’s no doubt my players feel, if they continue their form, they want to be open to selection. There’s six weeks to go and they know that.

“They’re grounded, they know if their team’s going well they get personal satisfaction and [Origin] selection from that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5335866/kickoff-dragons-calling-their-rep-shot/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Dragons embracing State of Origin hype

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has encouraged his charges to have the confidence to put up their hands for State of Origin selection.

Updated Updated 4 hours ago

Paul McGregor has told his high-flying Dragons to embrace the State of Origin hype with several of his St George Illawarra charges on the cusp of representative selection.

In a sign of the self-assuredness which coach McGregor has instilled in his dressingroom, he has told the Dragons to welcome the Origin challenge head on.

And at 5-0 heading into Friday's local derby with Cronulla, the Dragons can afford to be confident - a fact which has McGregor smiling.

In a day and age when most players offer up cliched and rehearsed responses about their Origin ambitions, the likes of Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Cameron McInnes have been anything but shy.

With NSW coach Brad Fittler declaring all positions open, the Dragons haven't been afraid to make public their representative desires.

"That's a player backing himself and I like that," McGregor said.

"If a player comes out and puts it on the line, that means he's got to go out there and play and do that on a weekly basis.

"There's no doubt my players feel if they continue their form then they'll be open to selection.

"They're senior players and if they're consistent from now until round 12, they'll put themselves in the picture."

Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell are considered locks for Queensland and NSW respectively.

While Euan Aitken has bolted into contentions for the Blues.

So with the Dragons possibly providing six Origin players - which would be their biggest contingent since 2011 - there is a challenge fast approaching for McGregor.

As well, Gareth Widdop, James Graham and Jason Nightingale are likely to be involved in the June 23 Denver Test - five days before they meet Parramatta at WIN Stadium.

Suddenly the representative window shapes as a danger period for the Dragons, especially given their alarming fade outs over the last several years.

Last year they led the competition after seven rounds but missed the finals.

And two years prior they were first after 12 rounds but finished eighth and were knocked out in the first weeks of the finals.

"I'm not too concerned about it because if we're getting guys selected then we're in a good position," McGregor said.

"Our depth around our youth, we're getting them prepared now. They've now all played first-grade, it's getting them ready.

"Our reserve grade is three from our last three, things are going good there.

"We're putting some things in place for Origin but it's a long way away."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nrl-dragons-embracing-state-of-origin-hype

Rife

Juniors
Of course they're saying they're ready for Origin. They get paid ~$40,000 per game isn't it? And more leverage when negotiating their next contract.

I don't blame them.

(I still hate how the pointless annual exhibition game f**ks up our NRL campaign).

Frank Facer

First Grade
KICKOFF: Dragons rep hopefuls calling their shot
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3888_2549_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HONEST CALL: Jack de Belin has openly stated his desire to win an Origin debut this season. Picture: NRL Photos

THERE’S been a mixed reaction to Dragons players openly pushing their case for Origin selection.

Jack de Belin has led the charge, stating his belief that he’s “made for Origin,” while Tariq Sims has been equally vocal.

The likes of Cam McInnes, Paul Vaughan and Euan Aitken have been more measured, but just as firm in their desire to play in that arena.

Some call it cocky but, as someone who spends a fair chunk of his time wading through tired cliches, it’s nothing short of refreshing.

One thing’s certain, it’s music to the ears of NSW coach Brad Fittler. What’s also refreshing is Paul McGregor’s attitude to his players open pitch.

Plenty of coaches would seek the muzzle players on the topic, but he said on Thursday he feels no need to rein his charges in.

“All players, if they’re honest, will say they want to play Origin,” he said.

“Certainly, if a player comes out and puts that on the line it means he’s going to go out there and play, and do it on a weekly basis. It’s a player backing his belief in himself and I love that.

“There’s no doubt my players feel, if they continue their form, they want to be open to selection. There’s six weeks to go and they know that.

“They’re grounded, they know if their team’s going well they get personal satisfaction and [Origin] selection from that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5335866/kickoff-dragons-calling-their-rep-shot/?cs=3713
I agree with DeBelin when he says that he is made for origin.

Simms and Frizell are in the same category.

ouryears

Bench
I agree with DeBelin when he says that he is made for origin.

Simms and Frizell are in the same category.
How good is Cookie going for Souths, tearing up the rorters D big time.

Dead set we have missed a champion in the making

Cook.
Born in Sutherland, New South Wales on 23 June 1991, Cook played his junior rugby league for the Helensburgh Tigers, before being signed by the Penrith Panthers.

Playing career

In 2010 and 2011, Cook played for the Penrith Panthers' NYC team.

Dragon's.
In 2012, he joined the Illawarra Cutters in the New South Wales Cup.[4] On 30 October 2012, he signed a 1-year contract with the St. George Illawarra Dragons starting in 2013.[

In Round 6 of the 2013 NRL season, Cook made his NRL debut for the Dragons against the Wests Tigers.[6] On 22 September, he was named on the interchange bench in the 2013 New South Wales Cup Team of the Year.[7]

On 6 November, he signed a 2-year contract with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogsstarting in 2014.[8]

In Round 14 of the 2014 NRL season, Cook made his Bulldogs debut against the Parramatta Eels.

Signed with Rabbitohs after exiting the grubs. Had easily beaten off Farah's challenge.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Just got home from the SFS and I have to say as good as McInnes is he is not as good as Cook. If form is the criteria for S of O selection Cook is a shoo in.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons plan to cope with Origin and Test demands
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 12 Apr 2018, 04:43 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is planning to rest his stars during the mid-year representative period, with the Dragons facing the prospect of having up to six players on State of Origin duty and Gareth Widdop and James Graham playing for England in the Denver Test.

Whereas some coaches view representative football as a disruption to their team’s premiership campaign, McGregor was always keen to play for NSW and Australia and wants his players to have similar aspirations.

After winning their opening five matches, the Dragons players have not only put themselves in Origin contention but given McGregor an opportunity to consider resting the likes of Ben Hunt, Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Cameron McInnes and Euan Aitken if they are selected.

With Widdop and Graham only due to return from the United States two days before St George Illawarra’s match against Parramatta, McGregor may rest them as well but he has no objection to them playing for England in the Denver Test on June 23.

"The more wins you get early in the year, you are then able to rest players at the right time," McGregor said leading into Friday night’s match against Cronulla at WIN Stadium.

"Melbourne has been doing it for years, and that is important to finish strong.

Central casting for Dugan

"As a player, I always wanted to play rep footy and I was lucky and fortunate to do that. As a coach, I like to see my players rewarded for consistency and if they are consistent I will support that.

"Then we will put some protocols in place where we can to makes sure we can freshen them up a bit."

Hunt seems certain for Queensland selection, as halfback or interchange utility, while Frizell could be joined in the NSW pack by Vaughan and de Belin. McInnes has been touted as the Blues hooker and Aitken at right centre.

McGregor isn't concerned about his players publicly declaring their desire to play Origin and believes NSW coach Brad Fittler will choose at least some of them if they continue their early-season form.

"I think any player if they are honest will say ‘I want to play Origin’, that is a player backing his belief in himself and I love that," McGregor said.

"If a player comes out and puts it on the line that means he has got to go out there and play on a weekly basis.

"I feel that if they are consistent from now until round 12, like they have done in the first five weeks, there is no doubt they will put themselves in the picture.

"Freddy has already said he wants change, but he will only have change if it is warranted around positions. There are current Australian players that some of those guys will have to oust and to replace a player of that level you have to be consistently good."

Dragons v Sharks - Round 6

McGregor said Dragons head of athletic performance Nathan Pickworth plan to work with the England and New Zealand medical staff to ensure provisions were put in place to assist the recovery of Widdop, Graham, and possibly Kiwis winger Jason Nightingale.

"For international players who aren’t fortunate enough to be a Queenslander or New South Welshman that is their Origin period and they want to play it,” he said.

“My only concern about anything around rep football is the welfare of the players. If it goes ahead and our players get selected, the welfare of the players will be at the forefront of my thoughts and if we can do anything possible to help them out in any way we will."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/12...ns-plan-to-cope-with-origin-and-test-demands/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons ready to embrace NRL rep period
16x9_small

Dragons coach Paul McGregor hopes to see his unbeaten players get the rep nods they deserve. (AAP)

The representative period destroyed St George Illawarra's season last year, but coach Paul McGregor wants his unbeaten players to be rewarded in 2018.

Updated Updated 6 hours ago

St George Illawarra are ready to embrace the representative period that ultimately proved to be their undoing last year.

The Dragons could have up to six players in the hunt for State of Origin selection, while three more are frontrunners to head to Denver for the mid-year Test between England and New Zealand.

Undefeated after six rounds, the Dragons find themselves flying at this point in the season for the second year in a row and coach Paul McGregor insists they have learned from last year's collapse.

But the next three months will determine how far they've come, after they collapsed to drop seven of 10 games through last year's representative season before missing the finals.

On that occasion they lost Gareth Widdop to injury, while Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell were their only Origin representatives.

Those losses could plausibly triple in 2018, with Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes, Euan Aitken and Jack de Belin all hopeful of joining Frizell in Blues camp against Queenslander Ben Hunt, while Gareth Widdop, James Graham and Jason Nightingale will likely be Denver-bound.

Not that McGregor has any qualms.

"For anyone, to be successful in anything you've got to have a purpose," McGregor said.

"And if you've got a purpose you've got to have a passion for that purpose. And then you've got to be disciplined around your passion you should.

"If my players ... are successful because of the passion they are showing and the purpose they've got with it, you've got to reward it."

But McGregor has a simple message for his players: The only way they'll do that is if the Dragons keep performing.

"It's about our team, it's got to be we before me, and if they're playing well in four or five weeks time, they'll get rewarded," he said.

"They've got to replace players who are current Australian players in their position. So to do that it's about playing well for a long period of time."

McInnes, Vaughan, Aitken and de Belin each did their Origin chances no harm with tries in Friday's 40-20 win over Cronulla.

McInnes was particularly impressive with his 50-metre dash from dummy-half to score, heating up the race for the NSW No.9 jersey after Damien Cook starred for South Sydney on Thursday night.

"He's quite quick," McGregor said.

"Cam is a real person the team needs.

"If you look at our spine we've got two guys in Gareth and Ben (Hunt) who like to play on the ball.

"You've got a fullback in (Matt) Dufty that is around the footy. And you've got an unselfish player like Cam to give him and others the ball.

"So with the balance there no one is fighting over it. And when he sees an opportunity like he did, he finishes them off."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-ready-to-embrace-nrl-rep-period

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Dear Abby,

My biggest worry is if so many of our players get selected for Origin ......

Will McGregor recall McCrone?

I am unable to sleep at night.
I lay in bed, twitching.
Should l be so concerned?

Yours sincerely,
OKB

mickeylane

Bench
Unfortunately during origin week and the international test match we will be playing a full strength Parra on a Thursday night! Our team will most likely look like this as Mcgregor has gone on record to rest any player involved in these matches. We are very very under strength and looking straight down the barrel of a hard night out..

Dufty
Mann
Lafai
Lomax
Mcdonald

Field
Nicholls

Sele
Host
Leilua
LAM
Mciness (Cook will be NSW hooker)