What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

From the starting 17

- Hunt QLD

- Su'A QLD potentially
- Lomax NSW potentially

- Hunt Australia
- Nu Brown NZ

- Suli Tonga
- Rava Fiji
- F Molo Samoa
- Sele Tonga
- Su'A Samoa
- Leilua Samoa
- JDB PNG

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head

RFM has played internationally I'm pretty sure
Dan Russell PNG

Draginzaaar

Bench
Early on in his contract it was Widdop doing all the managing and he could do it, unfortunately since Widdop's departure I havent seen one game where he has managed it and by that I dont mean doing things during the game, I mean probably the last 10-15 min to close the game out. Have a look at what he did last week in the last 10 or so min, thats not what I call closing the game out.
He'd rather try something stupid than ice a game. Short kick, wide kick, run down the blind side (V Souths 2018 semi when it's 12 all.

The one trait Flanagan seems to hold dearest more than any other is that he wants players who want to be at the club. (zero tackle scribe)

Why then did Flanagan not send (C) Hunt on his way when he joined us. Clear backflip with the captain not with Lomax. Curious and curiouser
Yes, you are right to point out that this is an untrue statement. If it were true, Lomax would have been let go immediately and would have been playing for the Eels already.

The correct statement is: The one trait Flanagan seems to hold dearest more than any other is that he wants to win and does not care how he does it.

offiah

Juniors
It’s a different situation because Lomax is more replaceable and is way overpaid (on almost as much as the best halves and fullbacks) to stay on as a centre or a winger.

If he was on $500K I doubt Flanno lets him leave unless a swap was involved.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
For Saints recruitment, they should chase the guys that are making a fist of their debuts this season. Guys like Kayal Iro (Sharks), Trey Mooney (Raiders - this guy will be a gun), Taine Tuaupiki (Warriors), Chevy Stewart (Raiders) & Blaze Talagi (Eels). These guys are on the fringe of first grade and filling in for injuries but from what I can see if Saints can offer them starting spots then they will become great acquisitions once they finish this year at the respective clubs. If Saints miss out on these guys, at least they will force the clubs to upgrade there contracts hence release their experienced guys which will be desperate to join any club.

Also I notice the youngsters coming over from England are doing well in their first years like Kai Peearce-Pail and Morgan Smithies. English Super League may be the place to go as well. I would be sending a fulltime scout over for a few months to run his eye over the ESL.

Forget going for guys that have a heap of NRL experience as they are mostly comfortable playing where they are and use the Saints to get an upgrade. None of these guys will come to Saints because they think there is no future for them in their remaining time of NRL. Where as the youngsters will jump at the bit to join for NRL game time.

I have a bad feeling this huge war chest we hear about will be wasted on desperate buys which will end up flopping and Saints will have to carry them for 2-3 years with the excuse of nobody was available at the time and if so why let go of the good players we have like Lomax.

Dragon David

First Grade
For Saints recruitment, they should chase the guys that are making a fist of their debuts this season. Guys like Kayal Iro (Sharks), Trey Mooney (Raiders - this guy will be a gun), Taine Tuaupiki (Warriors), Chevy Stewart (Raiders) & Blaze Talagi (Eels). These guys are on the fringe of first grade and filling in for injuries but from what I can see if Saints can offer them starting spots then they will become great acquisitions once they finish this year at the respective clubs. If Saints miss out on these guys, at least they will force the clubs to upgrade there contracts hence release their experienced guys which will be desperate to join any club.

Also I notice the youngsters coming over from England are doing well in their first years like Kai Peearce-Pail and Morgan Smithies. English Super League may be the place to go as well. I would be sending a fulltime scout over for a few months to run his eye over the ESL.

Forget going for guys that have a heap of NRL experience as they are mostly comfortable playing where they are and use the Saints to get an upgrade. None of these guys will come to Saints because they think there is no future for them in their remaining time of NRL. Where as the youngsters will jump at the bit to join for NRL game time.

I have a bad feeling this huge war chest we hear about will be wasted on desperate buys which will end up flopping and Saints will have to carry them for 2-3 years with the excuse of nobody was available at the time and if so why let go of the good players we have like Lomax.
Yes, the opportunity is available right now, don't let it go begging for heaven's sake. Get some signatures please Dragons. Time and money would be lost which we cannot afford to lose.

The other clubs have identified who they want and they get more often than not. Canberra for one is able to get their man besides the usual other clubs. We just stagnate and procrastinate and stumble along and end up with the usual rejects and journeymen and leftovers.

We don't need a lot, just the ones that we need to compliment what we will have in the future.

Kayal Iro (Sharks), Trey Mooney (Raiders - this guy will be a gun), Taine Tuaupiki (Warriors), Chevy Stewart (Raiders) & Blaze Talagi (Eels).

English Super League may be the place to go as well. I would be sending a fulltime scout over there.

I have a bad feeling this huge war chest we hear about will be wasted on desperate buys
Other than Iro, a lock, all are fullbacks. We have our own promising gun fullback/ wing, Jesse Williams. Also three junior locks, Ackers , Latu and Meafou. If there is one thing we have done well as a club in recent years, it is to begin producing a robust pathways system.

Have said the same.

So do I, then we are in for more misery.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, if I'm understanding right, you guys want us to sign someone else's juniors at the expense of our own. Just to "sign" somebody.
We have a plenty of up-and-coming juniors that will be equal to or better than those suggested.

We have filled our quota for this year, and a good deal of progress made into next year, both on retention and recruiting. Allen will be added back into the squad as will Egan and Stewart from the current development list. There also maybe others as well, pending their form and development during the year. Flanno has also had a few "dinners" with some outside prospects, they haven't gotten to the 'desert' part as yet.

Just because some other team signs someone, doesn't mean we have to be reactionary and sign someone in response.
Flanno has stated on more than one occasion that the best teams have players in their squad who are SOO and/or current international level players and preferably from tier 1 nations.

As far as Lomax is concerned, he is blossoming under Flanno, for sure, and no doubt we would have gone hard to keep if not extend him if we wanted to. I wish him well when he joins Parra.

So, let's see how this pans out over the course of the year.

saintmar

Juniors
The one trait Flanagan seems to hold dearest more than any other is that he wants players who want to be at the club. (zero tackle scribe)

Why then did Flanagan not send (C) Hunt on his way when he joined us. Clear backflip with the captain not with Lomax. Curious and curiouser
FLano says whatever suits him
Hunt has been the downfall of two coaches by taking up way overs in the cap and not having the ability to organise or rally a team to victory,imo FLano will be the third victim.
He had the chance to get rid of this bloke and will now have to rely on this ageing guy to keep his coaching career alive
IMO its Going to be watch this space for the coach

saint-stefano

Juniors
not sure if something like this is already in place ... say we have 60 kids playing in rep teams out of those 60 kids surely there are 5 or 6 that stand out , have a special coaching set up where those players are given extra teaching and training as elite juniors and tie them up to the club and as others kids improve and show the same special talents you add them to the training squad as elites juniors this should ensure 2 things one we secure our best talant and two the rest will surely try and impress to make that elite squad .
when i was young learning music instrument my music teacher got his best talent and started an orchestra we started with a drummer,violinest guitar saxafone trumpet and piano accordion i was 1 from 6 he slowly added till and it got bigger and better pick the best from the rest and make them better .

Latest posts