What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

I know a lot of members are not going to like this, but I think JDB should be our captain. As I have said if you have done the crime and done the time , it should be time to move on. What he did to his wife was horrible, but she has found it in her heart to forgive him and move on with their lives, he is probably a better person now, should we not move forward as well ?
Hey Justa
That just won't happen.
His cards were marked SOO and Australia
He cost us heaps thru the stand down period.
Our stance pissed off the NRL - As long as he's in our team we'll never get a fair go!
He was never found 'Guilty' but was also never found "Not Guilty".
Then there's "women in League round" - hard to justify him as our captain.
Way way way too much baggage
Even considering time and forgiveness - It just isn't a smart move - Sorry.

Nearly Forgot Hunt - Imagine the sooking!

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
I know a lot of members are not going to like this, but I think JDB should be our captain. As I have said if you have done the crime and done the time , it should be time to move on. What he did to his wife was horrible, but she has found it in her heart to forgive him and move on with their lives, he is probably a better person now, should we not move forward as well ?
Apart from the obvious reasons he should never be given the captaincy, there is the more practical reason that he is coming to the end of his career. What's he got left? 2 years of questionable sustained quality if they decide to resign him? The next captain should be someone long term we can build the team and long term culture around.
That said, I would struggle to pick a candidate from the current squad. Zac would have probably been the obvious choice until recent events.
It saddens me that we have go back as far as Hornby to find a genuine leader. I can't see where the next one comes from.

Apart from the obvious reasons he should never be given the captaincy, there is the more practical reason that he is coming to the end of his career. What's he got left? 2 years of questionable sustained quality if they decide to resign him? The next captain should be someone long term we can build the team and long term culture around.
That said, I would struggle to pick a candidate from the current squad. Zac would have probably been the obvious choice until recent events.
It saddens me that we have go back as far as Hornby to find a genuine leader. I can't see where the next one comes from.
Official captaincy is not important in Rugby League. You can be the real leader without the C.

Extend J S'ua and throw in the captaincy as an added extra.
He plays in and around the action.
Plays long minutes, and is at the stage of his career where he could take on the added responsibility.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Hey Justa
That just won't happen.
His cards were marked SOO and Australia
He cost us heaps thru the stand down period.
Our stance pissed off the NRL - As long as he's in our team we'll never get a fair go!
He was never found 'Guilty' but was also never found "Not Guilty".
Then there's "women in League round" - hard to justify him as our captain.
Way way way too much baggage
Even considering time and forgiveness - It just isn't a smart move - Sorry.

Nearly Forgot Hunt - Imagine the sooking!
Besides his indiscretions JBD is at the end of his career. If he gets a renewal it is likely to only be 1-2 years.

need to look to the future and SuA could be the only realistic leadership option, unless we can grab someone from elsewhere with the lure of captaincy. He is the only likely SOO player amongst the squad besides Hunt.

The fact nobody clearly stands out is part of the problem, we lack leaders on the field who can lift the team to higher performance.

Dragon David

First Grade
You have Flanno but still can't sign anyone good.

Shows that the real problem is that Kogarah is a shithole and nobody wants to be anywhere near the joint
Yeah, gone are the days that players wanted to sign up with the Dragons without any hesitation. "Wow the Dragons want me. Quick, where do I sign?" No more I'm afraid.

Talk about the miseries of all miseries. Not one bright spark is flickering in the Recruitment Department. No-one with any panache and know how. What a damned mess we are in.

All the rubbish with players who have brought down the club. The wanting out of players and the poor coaching in over a decade.

A chance by the Management to get everything in order mid last year but there are those who know that the Dragons are too much of a hard basket and the players and their managers look elsewhere.

It is a case each year for us fans to remain patient. Give the new coach a chance. We cannot judge anything with only 8 games being played so far this year and we are 4 wins and 4 losses so it is not too bad. Big losses happen as well as big wins. Are we happy with this?

Let's see how we are positioned in the next 5 weeks.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Yeah, gone are the days that players wanted to sign up with the Dragons without any hesitation. "Wow the Dragons want me. Quick, where do I sign?" No more I'm afraid.

Talk about the miseries of all miseries. Not one bright spark is flickering in the Recruitment Department. No-one with any panache and know how. What a damned mess we are in.

All the rubbish with players who have brought down the club. The wanting out of players and the poor coaching in over a decade.

A chance by the Management to get everything in order mid last year but there are those who know that the Dragons are too much of a hard basket and the players and their managers look elsewhere.

It is a case each year for us fans to remain patient. Give the new coach a chance. We cannot judge anything with only 8 games being played so far this year and we are 4 wins and 4 losses so it is not too bad. Big losses happen as well as big wins. Are we happy with this?

Yet another awesome post DD. Well said

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I feel that players want to play for teams that have more chance of winning a comp than money and at the moment they see Saints as a team that will not challenge for a premiership for a while. I cannot understand how they feel the Tigers and Dogs will have a better chance than Saints with unproven rookies but they do. Evan the Sharks with Fitzy, 2 finals series and won no games. They have had soft draws 3 years in a row including this one and if they fail again will show that they are no match for the big boys. Fitzy will also be on the outer like Morris if they fail in the finals again like the last 3.

This year if Flanno has the team finish above the Tigers, Titans, Dogs, Knights etc then it may make the team somewhat more attractive than they currently are as the Dogs and Tigers especially have been turning over and paying overs to land players yet are worse off than Saints. Players will start to doubt how they would be the better option than Saints and pressure will start building.

It is all about Saints laying a platform this year to show they will be a better team going forward than the others. Also Saints getting rid of dead wood.

Dragon David

First Grade
I feel that players want to play for teams that have more chance of winning a comp than money and at the moment they see Saints as a team that will not challenge for a premiership for a while. I cannot understand how they feel the Tigers and Dogs will have a better chance than Saints with unproven rookies but they do. Evan the Sharks with Fitzy, 2 finals series and won no games. They have had soft draws 3 years in a row including this one and if they fail again will show that they are no match for the big boys. Fitzy will also be on the outer like Morris if they fail in the finals again like the last 3.

This year if Flanno has the team finish above the Tigers, Titans, Dogs, Knights etc then it may make the team somewhat more attractive than they currently are as the Dogs and Tigers especially have been turning over and paying overs to land players yet are worse off than Saints. Players will start to doubt how they would be the better option than Saints and pressure will start building.

It is all about Saints laying a platform this year to show they will be a better team going forward than the others. Also Saints getting rid of dead wood.
"It is all about Saints laying a platform this year to show they will be a better team going forward than the others. Also Saints getting rid of dead wood."

Let's hope so Slippery. It has to happen.

st.phil

Bench

Aside from the Bennett years , are you referring to the 60s? Been battlers in recruitment since at least the 90s

Dragon David

First Grade
Aside from the Bennett years , are you referring to the 60s? Been battlers in recruitment since at least the 90s
Yes it has been ages since we did have guys chomping at the bit to join us. Steve Rogers came to us for 1983-1984 seasons as a result of Cronulla's serious financial difficulties back then. He has said that he didn't like playing for us. Even way back then - wow!

I guess we really didn't have guys eager to sign. We did have a good core of players which we built on and I think that it wasn't the Rorters getting the marquees, it was Manly back then.

Yes it has been ages since we did have guys chomping at the bit to join us. Steve Rogers came to us for 1983-1984 seasons as a result of Cronulla's serious financial difficulties back then. He has said that he didn't like playing for us. Even way back then - wow!

I guess we really didn't have guys eager to sign. We did have a good core of players which we built on and I think that it wasn't the Rorters getting the marquees, it was Manly back then.
Steve Rogers was identified by the Dragons back in 1972.
In a very rare and what ended up being a massive recruitment mistake, the powers that be sent him back to, I think the Gold Coast, as they thought he was not ready for first grade in 1973.
The story goes that they said play one more year in the local competition, and then come back to the Dragons in 1974.
The Sharks swooped on him and signed him to play for them in 1973, in what was a Grand Final year for them v Manly.

Dragon David

First Grade
Steve Rogers was identified by the Dragons back in 1972.
In a very rare and what ended up being a massive recruitment mistake, the powers that be sent him back to, I think the Gold Coast, as they thought he was not ready for first grade in 1973.
The story goes that they said play one more year in the local competition, and then come back to the Dragons in 1974.
The Sharks swooped on him and signed him to play for them in 1973, in what was a Grand Final year for them v Manly.
Yes, I read/heard that many years ago. I think it was Frank Facer who told him to come back in a years time, which was a mistake and we know that Rogers ended up with the Sharks and killed it there and went on to play tests etc etc. He was a great ball and all tackler of his time. Too bad he wasn't signed up by the Dragons in 1973 as I'm sure he would have won a few premierships with us as against none playing for the Sharks.

Latest posts