What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 25 v Gold Coast

Girds89

Bench
See paragraphs, when you could have used two.

I explained to you the principles behind Nathan and Jerome’s kicking tactics, or at least how it was explained to me. Scroll back and look. You must have been too busy punching out novels.
More novels coming your way supercoach:)

Kilkenny

Coach
Just caught the game. Absolute bludger. Nearly put me to sleep.

Terrible discipline by us (on and off the ball). Far too many penalties letting them out of trouble, and shit handling.

Despite that, we had some real flashes of brilliance, and scored some good tries.

Idiots in yellow are getting worse. That no try to Peachey leading to the Schoupp sin bin was woeful. Glad he still got over the line shortly after.

No injuries and no suspensions are the only positives for me. Hope we rest a few more next week, and then go full-strength tune up against the Cowboys.
I must confess watching the game live I thought it was a decent contest.

They got the rub if the green winning the penalty count and set restarts which gave them field position and overall possession. Two of there penalties were awarded for copybook great tackles but were deemed illegal.

The Titans had a crack the final score line read 40-14 I think that says it all really. Another clinical win, doing what we do.

The question marks around Turuvas ability to finish of back line movements I can sort of understand but his disallowed try probably could have been awarded given what we have seen on many other occasions this season, Finishing aside he has had a great season, been enormous for us.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Were getting bogged down in this current debate, going no where really.

At the end of the day, I tend to think the better team will finish in top.

There’s still two rounds of regular competition to go so in respect of us and our main competitors that is two rounds where you just want to see through with no major injuries to key players.

Nathan goes down or Adam Reynolds it just alters the dynamics.

I tend to think it is a two horse race, but again injury, suspensions, stupid calls by the match officials or bunker there are so many variables at play.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Were getting bogged down in this current debate, going no where really.

At the end of the day, I tend to think the better team will finish in top.

There’s still two rounds of regular competition to go so in respect of us and our main competitors that is two rounds where you just want to see through with no major injuries to key players.

Nathan goes down or Adam Reynolds it just alters the dynamics.

I tend to think it is a two horse race, but again injury, suspensions, stupid calls by the match officials or bunker there are so many variables at play.
I think it’s ours to lose to be honest with you.

Our defence is basically unstoppable. As long as we stay fit, I think it will be a repeat of last year.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Our defence is basically unstoppable. As long as we stay fit, I think it will be a repeat of last year.
Yeah the Broncos will be in for a shock if we meet in a finals game. They might go with us for a while but they won't be able to keep up.

Kilkenny

Coach

We are contenders, are defence is awesome, but all I will say is the Broncos are capable of scoring big points.

I think they are dangerous, I really do.

The warriors have been great, but yeah they can’t win the comp.

The Storm I think could make the GF it just depends how week one in the play offs unfolds.

snickers007

Juniors
I must confess watching the game live I thought it was a decent contest.

I was probably too harsh in hindsight.

Combination of already knowing the result, and being tired from a late night probably contributed to my initial feelings more than the quality of the game itself.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was probably too harsh in hindsight.

Combination of already knowing the result, and being tired from a late night probably contributed to my initial feelings more than the quality of the game itself.
It’s one’s perception.

we conceded the try early, did really well I thought to get into the grind just doing what we do so we’ll. We strangled them. Went into HT with an unassailable lead, yes they put on two tries but we just stepped up a gear when we had to and put the game to bed.

Im just not sure what more we expect.

Pomoz

Bench
This game highlights the Panthers superpower - intensity. Teams start out looking good at the start and after half time. As the game goes on, the continuous waves of attack rolling up the field, the constant hammering by the defence driving them back in tackles, the bench coming on and increasing the intensity, it just saps the energy. One minute they are in front, or only a try behind and the next minute they are twenty points behind and their forward are bent over sucking in the big ones.

You look at the stats and the Titans had 43 sets to our 41. But our average set was 48m vs 32m for them. That is 50% more effective, yet they have a really good pack of forwards and an elite level prop. Three of their forwards made 150m plus. To help with that they had five more penalties/six agains. In theory they had enough ball to win the game and dominate the yardage.

At 22 - 14 the commentators were urging the Titans on, but then we changed into a different gear and bang, three tries in a row. They couldn't go with it because of all the work done during the game that sucks the energy out of their legs. When we find our groove, we turn the intensity up to a level that just melts teams. We didn't even play particularly well, we were a bit clunky at times, but we still had that intensity chipping away at their resolve. Draining their batteries, burning their lungs.

it comes to something when you score 40 points and you watch the game and go "meh". We are so spoilt as Panthers fans. Long may it continue!

maple_69

Bench
Yeah exactly right. Against the bottom half of teams, we can go into these games at 75% and its typically enough to see them off. If they happen to keep up, you normally see a 10 minute period where Penrith hits the afterburners and throws 2-3 tries over, crushing the other team's morale. I think we've got a few basic deviations like the early spread that comes out when teams are flat chat keeping up in the middle and it just really floors them because otherwise we are so consistent in the way we play through the middle.

kinghippo

Juniors
The titans deserve a lot of credit for a putting in a great performance.
Their completions were quite impressive, they targeted Jenkins who was caught out a couple of times, but it was good football that got them into the game. The David Fafita try was very odd, with Nathan on the wing, but apart from that they scored good tries.
We were caught out, we adjusted and got the job done like champions.

BxTom

Bench
The titans deserve a lot of credit for a putting in a great performance.
Their completions were quite impressive, they targeted Jenkins who was caught out a couple of times, but it was good football that got them into the game. The David Fafita try was very odd, with Nathan on the wing, but apart from that they scored good tries.
We were caught out, we adjusted and got the job done like champions.
I'd hazard a guess that Nathan was put on the wing to try and cover for Jenkins.

The Realist

Juniors
We are contenders, are defence is awesome, but all I will say is the Broncos are capable of scoring big points.

I think they are dangerous, I really do.

The warriors have been great, but yeah they can’t win the comp.

The Storm I think could make the GF it just depends how week one in the play offs unfolds.

I keep saying this. Broncos are far more dangerous than people realise. Earlier in the season I mentioned how dangerous they were and was laughed off by Panthers fans and most neutrals who assumed they'd collapse just like last season. Most of the neutrals are not laughing now after the Broncos demolished their teams. Even now they are not treated as seriously as they should.

They have Strike power absolutely everywhere in their squad. I'd go so far as to say that they clearly have more strike power than us. They can create 'something out of nothing' more than any other team in the comp - and that is a huge danger to us. We are good at handling structure and set plays but still vulnerable to bursts of outright talent like Latrell - or Reece Walsh.

I can already see counter points - but the PaNTheRs hAve tHe bESt DefENsE!!!!
That's true but the Broncos are nearly as good when they want to be and at the back end of the season is just about on par with ours.

Broncos have us matched in the forwards - but theirs are younger and have a bit more energy about them. I think they pips us there TBH.

Their outside backs have speed and height on us. The toss up is the spine. Their FB is clearly better than ours in attack. Hookers aren't too different - I think it all depends on what state Reynolds is in physically and mentally. We have the edge when it comes to Luai vs Mam.

I'd say the only thing we have clearly in our favour is our experience under finals pressure and perhaps coaching/systems/tactics. We have this knack of keeping a level head and not panicking when being outplayed. Even when down 12 points or so we just keep on grinding and eventually overcome. Other teams panic when they can't put us away and we start clawing back. Prelim final against Souths last year was a perfect example.

Still, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Finals footy changes everything. Despite completely dominant seasons in 2020 & 2021 we struggled in every finals game. Last year was better but still no walk in the park.

Latest posts