What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Manly

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Seriously Chins.....Your using this derogatory term in 2023. I thought you were better than that. I really did.

'Spastics' the actual word means to have stiff limbs.

In this case I believe it's been used as a slang term for playing badly.

Put simply it means the team played like they had celebral Palsy.

In my opinion one of the worst terms to describe someone.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spastic#:~:text=spastic (plural spastics),) A stupid, clumsy person.
Relax sweet cheeks

Black Diamond

Juniors
Seriously Chins.....Your using this derogatory term in 2023. I thought you were better than that. I really did.

'Spastics' the actual word means to have stiff limbs.

In this case I believe it's been used as a slang term for playing badly.

Put simply it means the team played like they had celebral Palsy.

In my opinion one of the worst terms to describe someone.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spastic#:~:text=spastic (plural spastics),) A stupid, clumsy person.
Agree 100% very poor choice of words. People with disability are fighting for equality and these type of comments are very discriminatory and in absolute bad taste.

Black Diamond

Juniors
My son has a disability, intellectual, in @Chins get the wins I believe he didn't mean to cause offense.
I work in the disability sector coordinating services for people with a disability and find the comment very offensive. I would not be doing my job if I do not advocate for people with a disability in all areas of life whether I'm working or not.

However, I have read that Chins has apologised and did not mean to cause offence so I applaud Chins for that.

I work in the disability sector coordinating services for people with a disability and find the comment very offensive. I would not be doing my job if I do not advocate for people with a disability in all areas of life whether I'm working or not.

However, I have read that Chins has apologised and did not mean to cause offence so I applaud Chins for that.
I was offended too, I bit my tongue. I've seen first hand the struggle my son went through.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

f**king stupid choice of words by me

maple_69

Bench
Sommerton looked really sharp out of dummy half and his service looked nice and crisp. He also looks to have pretty solid vision, catching guys not square for 6 agains and things like that. Seems a more natural dummy half. Obviously has work to do in defence but for mine looks a better option for 2024 than Luke.

Im assuming the Hosking to centre call has been about testing whether we can run him in place of Salmon and I think the answer is yes, he’s not perfect but Salmon looked just as sketchy so might as well have a stronger edge forward option in that role, he’s definitely in our best 17 players. Peach probably is also but it looks like Luke will probably be carried for his 15 min spell of Kenny. Hopefully with the 3 strong forwards on the bench we don’t need to shift Kenny to middle during that period.

I’ll be interested to see what we do with Cole next year. With May likely taking Critta’s role he could be first drop at centre but with Laurie back you would presume he is Luai’s cover. I wonder if we’d ram him into halfback in Cup to learn that role a bit better or if we bring in another SOS/Cogger option.

maple_69

Bench
Oh and I will also add, Leota is an animal off the bench. He turned that game for us. Smith goes fine starting, I love the idea of Leota and Leniu coming off the bench. I’m not sure what pack in the comp will be able to deal with that. The middle 30/40 when Haas is off is where I think we could really take the game away from the Broncos who appear to be our only serious competition.

Pomoz

Bench
I can't say I enjoy watching Thursday night games. It usually means a long wait until the next game and I really miss my footy. A couple of points about last nights game.

- We have seen a few "how to beat the Panthers' game plans and Manly's DCE ball was pretty to watch for a while, until it unravelled under the pressure of the Panther's relentless defence. DCE ball can go in the dustbin along with the "Bash the Panthers" game plan the Storm come up with.

- We were a bit "meh" last night. But it should be pointed out we were missing Luai, Tago, Kenny, Leniu and Peachey. That's quite an upgrade to the side even though the stand ins did their job and secured the win.

- Fo those who advocate putting untested NSW cup players in to replace injured players, I would like to draw your attention to the footage of Luke Sommerton gasping for air after about five minutes of playing first grade. It was quite a contrast between the two hookers with Soni showing the benefits of having multiple stints on the bench to prepare him for the step up. I thought Sommerton showed promise but obviously needs more experience and an off season to prepare his body for the rigours of first grade. Between the two they got the job done, well done boys.

- I said on here a few weeks back that it is only a matter of time before we worry whether we can fit Kenny under our salary cap, because right now he is under valued. I rated Api, yet our defence has improved since Kenny took on his role full time. Ivan chose to start him in the GF and the Manly game showed why. He sets the tone for our defence. He brings a toughness and speed in defence that makes yardage through the middle very difficult for the opposition. Not only difficult, but he belts you hard and by the end of the game I am sure the opposition forwards dread seeing him loom up in defence. A warrior's heart is very underrated in these forums and Kenny is a true warrior.

- I would love to have been in the room when Manly come up with the "we will kick the ball back to them early in the tackle count and make them bring the ball back. It will tire them out". "Tire them out you say?". "Yeah, their back three will have to bring the ball back". "Oh, you mean To'o, Turuva and Edwards will have to do the work?","Yeah", "Just so we are clear, our plan is to kick the ball back to three players who currently are 1,2 and 6 for run metres in the NRL?","Yeah then we can pin them down, what could possibly go wrong?".

As game strategies go, its up there with "My plan is to slug it out with Tyson. Really go for it", "We shall man mark Messi out of the game", "Lets put two men on Jordan, he can't handle the pressure". As Tyson said "Everybody has a plan until they are punched in the face". Cue Garrick, holding a bloody nose.

soc123_au

Staff member
I can't say I enjoy watching Thursday night games. It usually means a long wait until the next game and I really miss my footy. A couple of points about last nights game.

- We have seen a few "how to beat the Panthers' game plans and Manly's DCE ball was pretty to watch for a while, until it unravelled under the pressure of the Panther's relentless defence. DCE ball can go in the dustbin along with the "Bash the Panthers" game plan the Storm come up with.

- We were a bit "meh" last night. But it should be pointed out we were missing Luai, Tago, Kenny, Leniu and Peachey. That's quite an upgrade to the side even though the stand ins did their job and secured the win.

- Fo those who advocate putting untested NSW cup players in to replace injured players, I would like to draw your attention to the footage of Luke Sommerton gasping for air after about five minutes of playing first grade. It was quite a contrast between the two hookers with Soni showing the benefits of having multiple stints on the bench to prepare him for the step up. I thought Sommerton showed promise but obviously needs more experience and an off season to prepare his body for the rigours of first grade. Between the two they got the job done, well done boys.

- I said on here a few weeks back that it is only a matter of time before we worry whether we can fit Kenny under our salary cap, because right now he is under valued. I rated Api, yet our defence has improved since Kenny took on his role full time. Ivan chose to start him in the GF and the Manly game showed why. He sets the tone for our defence. He brings a toughness and speed in defence that makes yardage through the middle very difficult for the opposition. Not only difficult, but he belts you hard and by the end of the game I am sure the opposition forwards dread seeing him loom up in defence. A warrior's heart is very underrated in these forums and Kenny is a true warrior.

- I would love to have been in the room when Manly come up with the "we will kick the ball back to them early in the tackle count and make them bring the ball back. It will tire them out". "Tire them out you say?". "Yeah, their back three will have to bring the ball back". "Oh, you mean To'o, Turuva and Edwards will have to do the work?","Yeah", "Just so we are clear, our plan is to kick the ball back to three players who currently are 1,2 and 6 for run metres in the NRL?","Yeah then we can pin them down, what could possibly go wrong?".

As game strategies go, its up there with "My plan is to slug it out with Tyson. Really go for it", "We shall man mark Messi out of the game", "Lets put two men on Jordan, he can't handle the pressure". As Tyson said "Everybody has a plan until they are punched in the face". Cue Garrick, holding a bloody nose.
Kenny has taken Api’s role of leading the line speed in defence. The only difference is he hits a bit harder than Api does. A fortunate upgrade on what was already the benchmark. I don’t think Soni has that in him, he tries hard and puts his body on the line, he just doesn’t have the build for it. I liked his effort on Thursday night though, he had a crack.