What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Manly

Oh and I will also add, Leota is an animal off the bench. He turned that game for us. Smith goes fine starting, I love the idea of Leota and Leniu coming off the bench. I’m not sure what pack in the comp will be able to deal with that. The middle 30/40 when Haas is off is where I think we could really take the game away from the Broncos who appear to be our only serious competition.
Sorrry if this sounds crude but I barred up after reading this. This is an awesome move if we were to pull it off (no pun intended). A 1-2 Leota-Leniu counter punch off the bench. Things could get ugly for our opponents real quick, especially if they’re already on the back foot in the first half.

We should trial this when Leniu returns. the Titans game would be ideal, though when is Leniu due back?

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
Due back against Parra but we rightly seem to be giving everyone an extra week on their way back. Guess it depends how Ivan wants to manage resting. I think we can win out with 4/5 guys off per week, go full tilt at Melbourne/Cronulla week one and then take the week off then.

Frankus

Juniors
Thought we played really hang tough footy. Winning when we aren't playing our best against desperate teams is a great sign.

With Tago back our attack will be equally as potent either side of the field. 2 game changing centres, I don't think any other side can boast that.

Iamback

Coach
Due back against Parra but we rightly seem to be giving everyone an extra week on their way back. Guess it depends how Ivan wants to manage resting. I think we can win out with 4/5 guys off per week, go full tilt at Melbourne/Cronulla week one and then take the week off then.

If you look at the potential 17

Tago
Peachey
Luai
Cleary
Leinu

have rested already.

We will give them a few days off this week

WestyLife

First Grade
I can't say I enjoy watching Thursday night games. It usually means a long wait until the next game and I really miss my footy. A couple of points about last nights game.

- We have seen a few "how to beat the Panthers' game plans and Manly's DCE ball was pretty to watch for a while, until it unravelled under the pressure of the Panther's relentless defence. DCE ball can go in the dustbin along with the "Bash the Panthers" game plan the Storm come up with.

- We were a bit "meh" last night. But it should be pointed out we were missing Luai, Tago, Kenny, Leniu and Peachey. That's quite an upgrade to the side even though the stand ins did their job and secured the win.

- Fo those who advocate putting untested NSW cup players in to replace injured players, I would like to draw your attention to the footage of Luke Sommerton gasping for air after about five minutes of playing first grade. It was quite a contrast between the two hookers with Soni showing the benefits of having multiple stints on the bench to prepare him for the step up. I thought Sommerton showed promise but obviously needs more experience and an off season to prepare his body for the rigours of first grade. Between the two they got the job done, well done boys.

- I said on here a few weeks back that it is only a matter of time before we worry whether we can fit Kenny under our salary cap, because right now he is under valued. I rated Api, yet our defence has improved since Kenny took on his role full time. Ivan chose to start him in the GF and the Manly game showed why. He sets the tone for our defence. He brings a toughness and speed in defence that makes yardage through the middle very difficult for the opposition. Not only difficult, but he belts you hard and by the end of the game I am sure the opposition forwards dread seeing him loom up in defence. A warrior's heart is very underrated in these forums and Kenny is a true warrior.

- I would love to have been in the room when Manly come up with the "we will kick the ball back to them early in the tackle count and make them bring the ball back. It will tire them out". "Tire them out you say?". "Yeah, their back three will have to bring the ball back". "Oh, you mean To'o, Turuva and Edwards will have to do the work?","Yeah", "Just so we are clear, our plan is to kick the ball back to three players who currently are 1,2 and 6 for run metres in the NRL?","Yeah then we can pin them down, what could possibly go wrong?".

As game strategies go, its up there with "My plan is to slug it out with Tyson. Really go for it", "We shall man mark Messi out of the game", "Lets put two men on Jordan, he can't handle the pressure". As Tyson said "Everybody has a plan until they are punched in the face". Cue Garrick, holding a bloody nose.

Kenny started because Api had injured ribs. It was to protect api.

Kilkenny

Coach
Thought we played really hang tough footy. Winning when we aren't playing our best against desperate teams is a great sign.

With Tago back our attack will be equally as potent either side of the field. 2 game changing centres, I don't think any other side can boast that.
Staggs and Farnworth are as potent in attack.

Kilkenny

Coach
We keep talking about Tago being back with the club being less than transparent around what his injury actually is.

is it just me or is it strange the weekly injury briefings have disappeared this past three or four weeks.

I don’t get. Just be transparent. The whole secrecy thing is either concerning or just ridiculous.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We keep talking about Tago being back with the club being less than transparent around what his injury actually is.

is it just me or is it strange the weekly injury briefings have disappeared this past three or four weeks.

I don’t get. Just be transparent. The whole secrecy thing is either concerning or just ridiculous.
Why let the opposition know where to target his body?

Girds89

Bench
The club would be better off just making up some bs...

Saying nothing when all year youve done weekly updates actually says more...

I mean... instead it kinda just looks dumb... lets hide his injry by being secretive....

Theyd be better off just saying he got covid for the first time snd has been really unwell, lost a bit of weight and they are playing it cautiously.

Instead clubs will now know he is carrying some sort of injury...

Alintheeast

Juniors
I am wondering why no more injury briefings maybe there wasn’t enough clicks or interest. The info provided was generally out in the press just a bit more expansive for Penrith tragics. Hope they bring back. Blade provides much greater insight

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Tin foil hat time here. Whatever is told to us fans, opposition fans, players, coaches.....will use ut against us.

So I mean. Why bother.

Whino

Bench

Coming up to finals. I don't mind the secrecy.