What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Friday 21st July 8pm @Sunshine Coast Stadium

Steenson123

Juniors
I agree re M
Your coach needs to make some tough decision .Mitchell with his Injury problems needs to go to Center less running.Move Johnson to fullback
At times last night your team go sucked into the fast open style the broncos love. And played side to side easy to defend
Own the middle of the feild with your forwards .Then get Cody hitting hitting Mitchell and Campbell graham wide
I agree re Mitchell. D'accord 101%.
However the Coach has proven to make continual errors and poor judgements. I feel the players [or at least a small group] are running the team and not the other way round. Demetriou is attempting to make a name for himself yet is surrounded by a few charismatic, high profile players who may be forcing his hand. There are always changes to the lineup too indicating confusion or uncertainty. For me, a Coach has to back who is selected and like Bennett give them a simple goal or two he wants them to focus on at training, given the specific opponent. Constantly changing the lineup is a neck breaker. Then we have young strong forwards like Suluka-Fifita who was imported into the club but he rarely gets playing time.

Steenson123

Juniors
John Morris has HC experience. Sam Burgess may be another option. Demetriou needs deeds not words otherwise his position should be vacated.

handyman2190

Bench
John Morris has HC experience. Sam Burgess may be another option. Demetriou needs deeds not words otherwise his position should be vacated.
Everyone can crap on about the coach but he just signed a 3 year extension,so he aint going anywere.
I am more worried about the fact we let AR go because we thought we had a gun 7 in ilias to take over and apart from his good defence,his managment and kicking in general play is crap.
Then the fact ive mentioned 50 times here, recruitment,you cannot just promote from within, this dosent create competition for spots,our reserves are never near the top so when they step up they fail.
We have no speed on one side latrell hasnt had a full season since he came, our forwards show no mongrell, knight will go,carty is gone,sele will go unless we pay him overs,and until this season spent more time injured than playing,id let him go, so now we need to recruit,we sit on our arses letting every other team pick the cream,we are too slow

Hellray

Juniors
Everyone can crap on about the coach but he just signed a 3 year extension,so he aint going anywere.
I am more worried about the fact we let AR go because we thought we had a gun 7 in ilias to take over and apart from his good defence,his managment and kicking in general play is crap.
Then the fact ive mentioned 50 times here, recruitment,you cannot just promote from within, this dosent create competition for spots,our reserves are never near the top so when they step up they fail.
We have no speed on one side latrell hasnt had a full season since he came, our forwards show no mongrell, knight will go,carty is gone,sele will go unless we pay him overs,and until this season spent more time injured than playing,id let him go, so now we need to recruit,we sit on our arses letting every other team pick the cream,we are too slow
I think the issue with Ilias not developing is there isn’t a strong enough halves coach to help enhance his skills. Morris was more successful as a dummy half than he was a halfback, and Hornby did have a long career as a 5/8 not a HB so his skills and knowledge may not be the type of skills or mindset we need for a young halfback that is lacking development.

we need a quality ex halfback to come in and work on his kicking and game management. It’s the only way we can hopefully have him make us feel we made the right decision with letting AR go

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Bottom Line is Demetriou should be under enormous pressure. From an 8-3 start to 2-6 in the next 8 that is St George/Canterbury/Balmain form giving up over 30ppg in 5 of those embarassments. Why this preciptious collapse in form and effort?
My theory is that there must be an internal division among the playing group. With Wighton's import there is a distinct Indigenous group comprised of charismatic leaders, dominant players influential to the Coach. Then there are other groups Polynesians, Endogenous Locals etc who may believe they do not get the level of control over the team they deserve. It could also involve contract offers i.e some believe they deserve extensions but don't get it.
Whatever the background issues they are killing an Awesome team. Just consider that in H2H contests we are +10 points on Brisbane and + 8 points on Melbourne, of all teams. And almost evens [-4] in the two Penrith contests. How many clubs can state these facts? Plus we trounced The Warriors in NZ and they have belted everyone before and after playing us.
Something has caused this collapse and the only thing that may salvage the predicament is for the squad to have a night or two out together and go belt someone on the field. Or sack the Coach.
this is a croc of shit.
I honestly thought I can't be bothered responding to this, but it needs a rebuttal for the record.
Firstly, the players are to blame for the poor defense and giving up tries, points, dropping balls etc. The coach has nothing to do with this.
More importantly, you conveniently make no mention of the multiple injuries for multiple games to our very top players, Latrell 10 weeks, Kaeon 6 weeks, Jai 6 weeks, Campbell 5 weks, Tom 5 or 6 weeks, plus Tatola, Cody, Cameron, AJ, Shaq, Moale, Savili, most of this, multiple guys all at the same time.
You been banging your agenda since round 2, the first game they lost. Nobody can take this seriously. It is laughable.
If you want to be taken seriously, then you should raise specific, legitimate criticisms.
here are some:
- Taafe is not a FB, he is not a first grader, he is garbage. If Latrell is out, they need to put A J at the back, and bring in Munro on the wing.
- Recruitment: They need to get some forwards, big guys in. Host is a big disappointment, Suluka-Fifita looks like a bust, Chee-Cam is not first grade standard, neither is Cartwright. Thank God Knight is gone at the end of the year.
- They needs to start playing the young guys that show promise, like all the other NRL clubs do. That is how you uncover the next star in the making. Munro, Duncan for starters.
The only thing you've said that makes any sense is the chopping and changing to the forward pack. This I agree with, except that injuries have forced most of this, but the wrong guys have been put in there.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think the issue with Ilias not developing is there isn’t a strong enough halves coach to help enhance his skills. Morris was more successful as a dummy half than he was a halfback, and Hornby did have a long career as a 5/8 not a HB so his skills and knowledge may not be the type of skills or mindset we need for a young halfback that is lacking development.

we need a quality ex halfback to come in and work on his kicking and game management. It’s the only way we can hopefully have him make us feel we made the right decision with letting AR go
Agreed.
But just to Handy's and Rabbit20's point, Reynolds wouldn't have saved us last night, same with Latrell. You can't be dropping balls on the first or second tackle in your own 30 and expect not to give up points. Same with set giving up restarts on the 4th and 5th tackle at the half or inside your own territory.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
We definitely need to start looking at forwards.
They been going with smaller, mobile guys, but we need 2 really big guys as well as smaller, mobile forwards.

handyman2190

Bench
Agreed.
But just to Handy's and Rabbit20's point, Reynolds wouldn't have saved us last night, same with Latrell. You can't be dropping balls on the first or second tackle in your own 30 and expect not to give up points. Same with set giving up restarts on the 4th and 5th tackle at the half or inside your own territory.
Agreed, our attitude is shit, we complain about not getting 6 agains, and nothing will be done about this,so how about we stop giving them, how about we increase our line speed,how about putting the shoulder in and hurting the oposition and putting them down, we were rag dolled and hurt last night,like pussys, now thats what shits me.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Agreed, our attitude is shit, we complain about not getting 6 agains, and nothing will be done about this,so how about we stop giving them, how about we increase our line speed,how about putting the shoulder in and hurting the oposition and putting them down, we were rag dolled and hurt last night,like pussys, now thats what shits me.
Agreed.
We did that last night after that dog act by Taupau, but for one half ain't enough.
On another point, I don't get why the management choose to play games on QLD when it's our home game?
I know about the women's WC, but I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about giving a leg up to our opponents by giving away our ho.e ground advantage and in conditions that don't suit us, like sweating out asses off in conditions that don't suit holding the ball.
Like, F...these road trips, stay home and take advantage of home games to win games. It ain't rocket science, it's priorities.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Broncos blitz denies Rabbitohs on Sunshine Coast: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/broncos-blitz-denies-rabbitohs-on-sunshine-coast

Press Conference - Round 21: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/press-conference-rabbitohs-round-21-2023

'Weren't good teammates' - Souths coach delivers brutal truth after 'embarrassing' loss: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/30e3cedeaf1ba2ad0a10621529bdbe83

Another good press conference from JD. Once again, he's hit the nail on the head. But to be honest, I'm starting to get a bit sick of hearing him nail it, and then nothing happening. It's all talk. Do something about it.

'Whiz kid' Walsh stuns as 'disgraceful' issue burns Bunnies - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/d8a3e67115ebac275b86afdac53c4a95
Unacceptable mate last night I’m still very angry about it. Playing to try push for a top 4 spot certainly didn’t look like it, heck can forget finals soon if we keep this up! They have to wanna win as well didn’t look like it last night attitude was woeful.

Massive failure this season is looking like we have the roster even with having had injuries and yet we sit 9th simply not good enough nowhere near.

I don’t know what the answer is but we better find it fast doesn’t look like a united team at the moment. There is a lazy streak in this team and it stinks. All attitude.

Travitoh

First Grade

Yep. We put our faith in a junior half who missed 2 years of lower grade development because of Covid and expected him to slot seamlessly in to replace the best 7 we've had in my lifetime. Ilias should be shadowing Reynolds at the moment, not trying to replace him.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

Our completely incompetent performance from the whole team in terms of our attack. I thought Round 17 against the Cowboys would be as bad as it got but this is on par with that.

Firstly, let's start with the biggest issue which is obviously the errors. 15 we made. Yes, 15. That is just friggin ridiculous and completely unacceptable. it stinks of a poor attitude, complacency, laziness and a lack of focus. I understand there's always going to be errors in a game, but 15 of them is just quite simply disgusting. Schoolboy shit. A lot of these errors were unforced and coming out of our own end too. You're never going to defend well and win when you're constantly putting yourself under pressure like that. What I don't understand is how we can have a completion rate in the 90% range in a torrential wet game a few weeks back, but then in a perfectly dry game on the Sunshine Coast, we complete at 66%? I don't get it. The error rate was much the same in the first half, both teams were just as bad as each other but the Broncos were able to overcome that and hold the ball much better in the second half while we just continued to capitulate. Just disgraceful.

I thought once again, our actual game plan seemed pretty flawed. It was working okay in the first half, but once Brisbane started to get on top in the second stanza, we were way, way too conservative. Just constantly went one-out with hit ups which constantly resulted in us getting smashed because the Broncos were on top and putting in more effort. We didn't look like having anyone, or anything, to turn the tide and try to spark some momentum. There was no plan B, and this has been a criticism of many of us for a while now. Once a team gets on top of us, we can't turn it on our own. Once again, it was a big contributing factor in this result.

Our actual good-ball attack wasn't anything better to write home about either. Yea, we scored three pretty nice tries but that's it. Aside from that, it was awful. The boys looked like they'd never played together before as everything was very clunky. Mis-timed passes, passes hitting the deck, players missing their role on backline shifts etc. That's not to mention the friggin crash balls!!! They have their place, but we do it far too often and it just doesn't work. Really disappointing that we played 20 minutes of that game against twelve men, but only came up with one try in that time. Really disappointing. There's no excuse for this either as pretty much all our attacking guns were there apart from Latrell.

I really don't know what it was, but the boys were just so off with the ball.

Defence

Defence wasn't much better.

I thought we actually started the game pretty strongly defensively, turning away their first couple of raids and limiting their meters well. This mostly continued throughout the first half. We did concede a couple of tries, the first of which was really disappointing as we couldn't wrap up the ball in three different attempts, but apart from that, the first half defence was okay. They had a number of sets on our line and asked a fair few questions but the boys turned up for each other and mostly got the job done.

Going into halftime, I was hoping this would continue but we got the complete opposite in the second half. The physicality, resolve, resilience and focus just completely disappeared. You could see it in the little areas. There was no line speed whatsoever in that second half. Instead of showing some want, the boys would just take a couple of steps up, and then wait for the Broncos ball runner to hit them. This often resulted in a lot more meters not only before contact, but post contact too as they were able to generate more momentum than they should be in their carries. Look at the Broncos line speed in that second half. They were ruthless with it, and it turned the game. Our boys got completely bashed which contributed to the fatigue and thus, errors. But did we try to do that? Do we ever try to do that? No. We just be passive, and it was so frustrating on Friday night. barely trapped them in their own half the whole game because of it.

Of course, there were defensive issues on our left which I'll touch on when I do player by player, but the other part defensively that was really disappointing was our inability to wrap up the ball and prevent offloads. It cost us two tries in the end, that's a big area to focus on.

Discipline in defence was also really poor. When you look at the stats, our discipline wasn't as bad as Brisbane numerically, but it's where we gave away the penalties and six-again's that killed us. Constant piggy backs out of their end which you just can't do.

I've been saying this for weeks now but our defensive issues currently, are all attitude in my opinion. We know we have a good defensive side in there, we have proven that. We know our structures are there. But it's the attitude, application, and focus to our defence which has completely gone. We need to find it very, very quickly.

Player By Player

Taaffe: Not much to say about Taaffey at all really. Did provide a great pass to AJ for our first try, that was nice tempo and execution from him, but apart from that, he was pretty much ineffective. Despite his positional play being good, he got mostly monstered on his kick returns which instantly put our sets on the back foot. Didn't even really look to get involved in attack in a meaningful way for much of the game. It's disappointing after the way he played against the Dogs.

Johnston: AJ was pretty good. Certainly, one of our better players I reckon. Talking about his defence first, it was relatively solid out there on the left for him personally. In the first half alone, he made a few crucial one-on-one tackles that could have ended up anything if he didn't make it. Came up with that pretty remarkable try-saver on Walsh early on in the second half too to really save our asses. The only mistake he really made in defence was on the Cobbo try. That was largely his fault. He was forced to make a decision, and unfortunately rushed in on the wrong man. As Walsh saw him move, it was game over on that try. Aside from his solid defence, I thought AJ was pretty good with the ball too. His try was fantastic!! One of the better ones he's scored this year. he got the ball with a bit of space but still had Staggs and Cobbo in a position to stop him. However, a brilliant bit of footwork sorted that out and AJ was in to go outright third on the all-time try scorer's list. Awesome try. There was a number of times in the first half he received great ball and got an overlap which he did his best with, but I'd like to see him just pin the ears back like he used to instead of looking to step in all the time. His carries were alright, and he made no errors which was good to see. It was a solid performance from AJ.

Tass: Not the greatest of nights for Tassy. His try was very nice, and he came up with that huge shot on Mam that could just earn tackle of the week, but he didn't do a lot else right. ran for 102 meters statistically but I thought a lot of his carries were actually pretty soft. He wasn't really running hard I noticed, he'd sort of go half pace and try to put on some footwork. Would much rather see him just go hard because that running style barely worked on Friday night. The space between Tassy and Cody was probably our biggest defensive issue of the night too. On the Broncos first try, the ball comes out to Staggs after a few offloads and Tassy initially makes a great read and rushes up on Staggs. However, he doesn't commit to going at him for some reason. he hesitates, pulls up and then tracks back a bit. This was all the space Staggs needed to score. I feel like Tassy could have shut that down if he committed. On the next Broncos try to Cobbo, Tass actually does a pretty decent job to start sliding across as the ball gets to Cobbo. He sprints over and puts himself in a position to at least throw his body at Cobbo and at least make a desperate attempt to stop him. But, disappointingly, he didn't. Isaiah kind of pulled up and brushed his back. It almost looked like he let him through. Again, it's Tass with a bit of a defensive error that leads to the Walsh try in the second half. I think Cody gets caught up in an obstruction on that play, which is shit, but Tassy again was still too passive as he backed back, and Walsh took that space. The night went from bad to worse as Kotoni Staggs scored once again, and once again, he stepped straight past Tassy. Not good from Tass, needs to get his defence sorted as we know it can be solid.

Graham: Not a bad return game for him personally. It wasn't perfect, he did make two errors, however one of them was Keaon's fault. Aside from that, he was pretty good. Awesome defence as he made 15 tackles with just the 1 miss, and nothing really got past him down our right edge. His carries were huge, inspirational coming out of our own end. he actually ran for the equal most meters of anyone in our side with 130. His try was great too. A bit of vision to identify the space and duck inside Cooky, and then just sheer determination to run over two defenders and score. I wish more of our guys out there the other night had his attitude.

Milne: You can't really fault him. He didn't do anything special, but he certainly didn't put a foot wrong either. No handling errors, no defensive errors and his carries were strong. 12 runs for 113 meters for him. Took a couple of tough bomb catches too.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: Super disappointing night for Cody. It was a night we needed him to step up and have a big game, and I was confident he would after his performance in Origin 2, but he really wasn't that good on Friday night. I'm not going to rubbish him though as he helped lay on two tries and his pass selection on some of our breaks in the first half was sublime. For our first try, he recognises that Reynolds doesn't trust Carrigan as Carrigan doesn't normally play in the second row, so he rushes up. Cody uses this, holds the ball up slightly, draws in Reynolds which causes Staggs to come in and creates a three-on-one. Smart ball playing. As I mentioned, some of the passes he put on out to the left after this try for a few line breaks were so good. Great play to also lay on that late try for Tass. But aside from that, he was really poor. Four individual errors to Cody which is unacceptable. There was also plenty of bad passes in there. His defence was the worst part though. He started strong with a try saver on Staggs, but then it all fell away. An arm grabbing attempt at Staggs for their first try, he got obstructed for the Walsh try so I'll let him off there, another poor attempt of Staggs for his second half try, and then on the Reynolds try, he over-chases on Walsh which creates the whole back on the inside where Staggs made the break. Disappointing Cody, we demand better.

Ilias: Speaking of disappointing, how bad was Lachy on Friday night? Probably his worst game of the year in terms of how much he actually did on the field. His defence was fine, that's not the issue at all. But he only really contributed in attack in a really meaningful way maybe three times in the first half and that was it. There were no signs of any sort of game management, and he didn't have a single kick in the whole game. Not one! That's poor for a halfback. I'm starting to doubt him a little. It's so frustrating because we know he can do it, he just needs to apply himself a bit more.

Burgess: Tommy had a very off night. Not his usual effectiveness with his carries as he only ran for 89 meters and this is a good example of one of those games where he's not as good starting. he made two really bad errors too. The first was straight after our first try which proved to be a game changer and then the second was that one off the scrum in good field position. Both were really bad, but I think the second half one hurt us more. We were on top at that stage and if we potentially scored there, who knows what might have happened? That error killed it. Not good enough Tommy.

Cook: Cooky wasn't great. His usual awesome work rate in defence, I'll give him that, but he did get completely run over by Wllison on his try which was a poor attempt. It wasn't a good attacking game for him though. Buggar all runs and he tried to over play his hand with those bloody crash balls. God, that's infuriating!! Also had a lazy forward pass in the second half which proved costly.

Sele: Hame was alright, pretty solid. Not too much to write home about though. He did his job but his run meters were a little down with just 86.

Koloamatangi: Not happy with Keaon after Friday night. A lazy, disgraceful performance from him. Really poor attitude. We have a guy out there that can be one of the best second rowers in the comp on his day, coming in off a great Origin performance, in a game where he could really step up and get the boys going, yet he just sits out there and does NOTHING. He had one run all game that I actually remember which tells you something. His final stats read 7 runs for 65 meters. Come on Keaon, that's pathetic from a quality player like you.

Arrow: Our best. Easily man of the match for us. If everyone had the attitude that Jai did on Friday night, we would have been fine. He just really ripped and teared all game. A massive effort after being out so long with injury and having his first game back. But it didn't stop him. He really lead the way with his carries and showed the boys how it's done. It's a real shame no one followed. 12 runs for 130 meters, no errors, 29 tackles, did miss 4 though. His performance was summed up by that carry he had late in the second half. There was nothing happening, no one doing anything but Jai puts his hand up and has a near 20 meter carry, Outstanding.

Murray: Nothing super special from Cam but he was still one of our better players I thought. He gave it his all as he always does both with and without the ball. Some really great carries to do his best to generate some momentum, a couple of nice offloads and he tackled his arse off as always.

Havili: I'm not going to talk about his brief stint at hooker as that really wasn't great, especially that crucial error he made attacking their line right after we just got a six-again, but when he played in the middle, he was very good. 10 runs for 92 meters is solid.

Duncan: Not much to say about Tallis as he played pretty limited minutes and only had one run. In hindsight, it probably wasn't the best idea to have both him and Hosty on the bench.

Host: I don't mean to bag him but really not sure how this guy keeps his spot in the side, he offers nothing and that was the case again the other night.

Moale: Didn't go overly great. Largely ineffective. 8 runs for just 63 meters.

Honestly, I'm appalled and embarrassed by that second half. Disgusting, putrid, disgraceful, I don't know what to say. Just so disappointing as we had it all to play for. A real chance to stand up and show we're still here, we're coming and are still a contender but the boys didn't want it. We did the complete opposite.

We now find ourselves 9th. That is just putrid. Not acceptable. I can't believe we're in this position after the way the first 11 weeks went. I simply can't believe it.

Throughout the last 10 weeks, I've constantly though after each loss, 'we'll be fine,' but now I seriously have my doubts. You can't say we'll be fine anymore. I'm really losing my faith, this Season, a Season that promised everything, a Season that was supposed to be our year or pretty close to it, is slipping away quick smart.

I'm so depressed and angry. Sort your shit out boys.

assess5

Juniors
If I'm an opposition coach, I ask myself, what's Souths greatest weakness and I wouldn't have to look further than Taafe, at fullback.
Now, I'm not saying he isn't doing his absolute very best but here is the problem in a nutshell.

HE IS TOO FXXXKEN SMALL

Sad, but there ya go, he is too small and if Demetrious can't recognise that, then, get rid of both of them.
For Demetrious to try and blame 'oh they didn't play as a team' is just ludicrous and clearly an attempt to cover weakness.
Taafe can't make a tackle or break a tackle, he actually attempted to shoulder a Bronco winger over the sideline, we all saw the grin on the wingers' face as he planted the ball to score.

All forwards and wingers now must be six foot two, weigh at least an hundred kilo's and rub the hundred meters in twenty seconds. Taafe, with the best will in the world can only ever achieve two from three of those requirements.

Maybe Taafe could play in the halves, but Demetrious didn't even try that last week when he had the chance.

Someone give us statistics that tell us win/loss ratio with Taaffe at fullback, that might be interesting.

Someone clarify for me, exactly why Mitchell didn't play. Was he injured still or did Demetrious just give him another week off - it doesn't seem very clear to me. How many weeks per year is this guy on the sideline, he has already cost the club one grand final with his brainless tackle on his rooster's mate that got him six weeks on the side line.

Not much professionalism in this club.

Last edited:

Eric the great

Juniors
Someone give us a statistic of win ratio when Locky is the number one half in the team and no Cody I don’t think locky has any game management in him I’ll make a statement that everyone all ready knows or is thinking and it’s probably controversial we can’t win a comp with him at halfback

Steenson123

Juniors
And Pe
this is a croc of shit.
I honestly thought I can't be bothered responding to this, but it needs a rebuttal for the record.
Firstly, the players are to blame for the poor defense and giving up tries, points, dropping balls etc. The coach has nothing to do with this.
More importantly, you conveniently make no mention of the multiple injuries for multiple games to our very top players, Latrell 10 weeks, Kaeon 6 weeks, Jai 6 weeks, Campbell 5 weks, Tom 5 or 6 weeks, plus Tatola, Cody, Cameron, AJ, Shaq, Moale, Savili, most of this, multiple guys all at the same time.
You been banging your agenda since round 2, the first game they lost. Nobody can take this seriously. It is laughable.
If you want to be taken seriously, then you should raise specific, legitimate criticisms.
here are some:
- Taafe is not a FB, he is not a first grader, he is garbage. If Latrell is out, they need to put A J at the back, and bring in Munro on the wing.
- Recruitment: They need to get some forwards, big guys in. Host is a big disappointment, Suluka-Fifita looks like a bust, Chee-Cam is not first grade standard, neither is Cartwright. Thank God Knight is gone at the end of the year.
- They needs to start playing the young guys that show promise, like all the other NRL clubs do. That is how you uncover the next star in the making. Munro, Duncan for starters.
The only thing you've said that makes any sense is the chopping and changing to the forward pack. This I agree with, except that injuries have forced most of this, but the wrong guys have been put in there.
And Penrith's absentees for many games? Cleary plays almost anyone yet they still manage to Win. Cleary does NOT change the lineup everyone knows exactly what they must to do for the squad to win, despite many absentees. Ditto for Bellamy though their overall level has fallen.
Demetriou has been here for FIVE seasons. Repeat FIVE. Who has he developed, which young rising players has HE developed? You state Suluka-Fifita is a bust well Demetriou imported him didn't he? Every club has injuries its part of all Football codes BUT the major difference is that Demetriou repeatedly selected SLUGS who could not beat time. I do not have to mention their names again. Its on HIM to select players who at least have some spark, some speed who could hav ebeaten Canterbury and St George. Those two WINS put us on 28. Bang there.
I recall that Saturday night game against Manly 3-4 seasons ago when Bennett was here. We were down on personnel that night and Wayne was gambling. He played the unknown, weight troubled outside back Stephen [v?] Marsters many laughed. Yet he scored first and we won 56-16. Yes Marsters did not play much subsequently however Wayne picked someone who could make a play unlike Hawkins-Kennar who Demetriou played TWICE against horrific clubs. Hawkins is STILL selected by Demetriou in the squad!!! I believe Demetriou is the only win for either St George or Canterbury for months, their ONLY friggin wins are against US!!! That cost us FOUR valuable points and that is on THE COACH for selecting slugs who could not play marbles.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
Be
If I'm an opposition coach, I ask myself, what's Souths greatest weakness and I wouldn't have to look further than Taafe, at fullback.
Now, I'm not saying he isn't doing his absolute very best but here is the problem in a nutshell.

HE IS TOO FXXXKEN SMALL

Sad, but there ya go, he is too small and if Demetrious can't recognise that, then, get rid of both of them.
For Demetrious to try and blame 'oh they didn't play as a team' is just ludicrous and clearly an attempt to cover weakness.
Taafe can't make a tackle or break a tackle, he actually attempted to shoulder a Bronco winger over the sideline, we all saw the grin on the wingers' face as he planted the ball to score.

All forwards and wingers now must be six foot two, weigh at least an hundred kilo's and rub the hundred meters in twenty seconds. Taafe, with the best will in the world can only ever achieve two from three of those requirements.

Maybe Taafe could play in the halves, but Demetrious didn't even try that last week when he had the chance.

Someone give us statistics that tell us win/loss ratio with Taaffe at fullback, that might be interesting.

Someone clarify for me, exactly why Mitchell didn't play. Was he injured still or did Demetrious just give him another week off - it doesn't seem very clear to me. How many weeks per year is this guy on the sideline, he has already cost the club one grand final with his brainless tackle on his rooster's mate that got him six weeks on the side line.

Not much professionalism in this club.
Bennett won with Taaffe at FB he made Taaffe look reasonable and minimise the errors. Yes, he was still shaky but Bennett got much more out of the guy. However you are correct in most of your summary. And its tme Demetriou was put under severe pressure. He has been here FIVE seasons and I state here that if he loses to Balmain or whatever they call themsleves he should be sacked immediately, extension or no extension. Getting a football team to DEFEND is NOT that hard.
And you are 101% correct re Mitchell. If he is going to be absent 8-10 games EVERY season then why continue with him? Compare him to Edwards or some of the others. He is very poor value to the club. I would put Mitchell back at #3 and make him Captain. Stay on the field and be the leader. A Coach like Bill Belichick would not stand for any nonsense or reason to be continually absent. Either you get yourself right to play... or go elsewhere. Murray for mine has zero charisma and does not threaten players who fail to put the effort in. Mitchell is far more intimidating and imposing. Watch the games. I hardly notice Murray getting in any players' boat race he has no presence other than his physical effort.

assess5

Juniors
How many, roughly, and against who, if you recall, did Bennett win with Taafe at fullback?
I can't remember back that far - maybe a Parra/Souths semi final.

I don't think there were too many.