What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Fullback

SBD82

Coach
My top 5 in no particular order:

Gallen
Fifita
Wade Graham
Josh Reynolds
David Klemmer

As as much as I hate to say this, I'm starting to have a strong dislike for both Morris boys.
I found myself hating their faces last night.

GC Dragon

Juniors
With Hayne all you would be getting next year would be a 1.2 mil 30 year old pain in the arse .

Lets just get our own sorted first like getting the Dugan deal done . Extending the likes of Packer and JBD . And working out Widdop . Then work out who we are going to play where and who/if we need another high profile player and in what position

BennyV

Referee
Parts of 2 Fox Sports articles on the dragons below:
- "Aitken recently extend his deal until the end of 2020 and the club has already factored exciting NYC backs Reuben Garrick and Patrick Herbert into their plans for 2018 and 2019.
But Lafai, Milne, Levi Dodd, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Yaw Kiti Glymin, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, and Izaac Thompson are all off-contract.
Dugan’s decision will have an impact on most of these men."

- "Although he's been bred as a half, St George Illawarra view Field as their next No. 1 – and that applies regardless of whether or not they re-sign Josh Dugan."

I think its almost a given that most of the above named including Milne and Mann are gone and fears are that Dufty may need to go as well !!! as Masters is probably more in favor than him as well. Looks like it will probably be Aitken and Dugan in the centres if he stays.

But i ask with all this talent why the hell would we spend massive dollars on Hayne who would probably decide to trial for ice hockey or something or other next and meanwhile we have let great young talent GO !!
Interesting. I'd have Milne locked up before nearly anyone else on that list, but glad to see that Herbert and Garrick are being prioritised. The future of Aitken is very interesting, as with Dugan and Herbert being viewed as the future, and both likely to overtake Euan, it's hard to see where he'll end up.

Field to fullback wouldn't be the worst, given him a year or two to prep for the move to 5/8 and once he does make the move, Steve Marsters takes the #1 jersey.

The only question is, who played 5/8 in the meantime. Should be Mann. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Hutch is move back in next year...

BringTheNoise

Juniors
With Hayne all you would be getting next year would be a 1.2 mil 30 year old pain in the arse .

Lets just get our own sorted first like getting the Dugan deal done . Extending the likes of Packer and JBD . And working out Widdop . Then work out who we are going to play where and who/if we need another high profile player and in what position

We're not signing Hayne. We're not even in discussions with him.

We just have yet another poster on here who seems to feel some sense of validation by pretending to have inside scoops and posting rubbish for attention, then ironically bombarding the thread with "I don't care if you don't believe me" posts when their credibility is called into question.

Crush

Coach
Sam Thaiday or Greg Eastwood doesn't cut it in your list?
If it were a top 10 those guys may get a run but there can only be 5.
I think its quite obvious why I hate those players but maybe Jake Friend requires some further explanation?
Or can you work it out?

Duck63

Juniors
I'm not convinced we need his issues or even another big signing at this stage

Let's give Dufty a decent crack once he is fully fit.

If Hunt was keen to know who our juniors were and he thinks Field could be a good halves partner then he needs a run at 6 at some point otherwise I would be shopping for a 6 before a 1 like Hayne.
100% Agree in regards to Dufty ,6 weeks ago he was the future now without even being given a chance he is on the scrape heap.I dont understand ,the people on this forum.Give the kid a go and then you will know if hes up to it.

possm

Coach
I wouldn't take him. He's 28, he's already talking about heading to French rugby, and his first press conference for the Titans last year was spent talking about how he only signed with Gold Coast because the eels didn't want him.

We've got Field and Dufty, who could both play at 1 or 6 for us next year. We're fine.
A good old rule of mine is replace a player with a player who is at least as good if not better. So if the Club is hell bent on replacing Dugan with Field or Dufty or even Widdop, why not select on of them at fullback and move Dugan to right centre.

If Field and Dufty are a long term proposition, then sign a fullback and bring Field and Dufty through on the wing or even at five-eighth.

If Widdop is not in the picture for 2018 and beyond, then play him at 7 and give Field and Dufty the chance to show if they can do the job.

The Doc

Juniors
Hopefully things don't change at the last minute like they did with Des Hasler.................
Who said anything has changed last minute with hasler????
And who is saying anything is set with Hayne for there to be something that could "change last minute"???
All that was said was i heard we had talks with Hayne...
It was never said Hayne has agreed to terms and/or signed.
And i never once said Hasler has signed anything...
I said was told hasler verbally agreed to a deal with us... and i specifically said "nothing has been signed" from what i was told.
Sometimes its better to not jump the gun on whispers, sometimes one should just take them as they are, whispers... especially when its clearly said "nothing has been signed" ;-)

Reactions: Qdf

The Doc

Juniors
We're not signing Hayne. We're not even in discussions with him.

We just have yet another poster on here who seems to feel some sense of validation by pretending to have inside scoops and posting rubbish for attention, then ironically bombarding the thread with "I don't care if you don't believe me" posts when their credibility is called into question.
Nawwww whats wrong little princess???
No one said "we are signing hayne"... learn to read what people post champ.
We HAVE had talks with him, thats a fact.
And, believe me, i dont need to feel any sence of validation by posting fake things or claiming i have "inside scoops".
Do i know people associated with the club? Off course i do, maybe thats whats cutting you? That you have no idea about anything? Only what you read in the telecrap?
And finally, where did i state once (let alone "bombard" as u put it) this thread with "i dont care if you believe me"?
Your a moron of the highest degree...
I heard something and i passed it on for other fans to discuss and give there opinions.
And if he doesnt sign? Guess what sherlock, it was never stated he WILL sign!
The fact is, he could very well be joining us THIS YEAR... is it gaurenteed??? NO... no one is or has claimed it is signed sealed and delivered.
But talks have been had, despite your telecrap source telling you we havnt spoken to hayne (as you claim), iv been told we have spoken to him for a fact.
Id take my guys word over your telecrap source anyday and everyday of the week.
If you dont believe it, move on to another thread....
Dont be a hater on me cause i can pass on whispers from within the club.
I dont brag, i dont put other people down if they say they know something...
Most on here are passionate fans, just as i am, i love hearing info and if i hear any i pass it on.
Sharing is caring champ, hating is just plain sad.
Now move on... toodaloos

Carlton

Juniors
Nawwww whats wrong little princess???
No one said "we are signing hayne"... learn to read what people post champ.
We HAVE had talks with him, thats a fact.
And, believe me, i dont need to feel any sence of validation by posting fake things or claiming i have "inside scoops".
Do i know people associated with the club? Off course i do, maybe thats whats cutting you? That you have no idea about anything? Only what you read in the telecrap?
And finally, where did i state once (let alone "bombard" as u put it) this thread with "i dont care if you believe me"?
Your a moron of the highest degree...
I heard something and i passed it on for other fans to discuss and give there opinions.
And if he doesnt sign? Guess what sherlock, it was never stated he WILL sign!
The fact is, he could very well be joining us THIS YEAR... is it gaurenteed??? NO... no one is or has claimed it is signed sealed and delivered.
But talks have been had, despite your telecrap source telling you we havnt spoken to hayne (as you claim), iv been told we have spoken to him for a fact.
Id take my guys word over your telecrap source anyday and everyday of the week.
If you dont believe it, move on to another thread....
Dont be a hater on me cause i can pass on whispers from within the club.
I dont brag, i dont put other people down if they say they know something...
Most on here are passionate fans, just as i am, i love hearing info and if i hear any i pass it on.
Sharing is caring champ, hating is just plain sad.
Now move on... toodaloos

Doc, I read your post the way you intended and I am pleased that you passed on the info. I appreciate hearing what the club is doing and I understand that talks are not the conclusions, just the process. Do I want Hayne? No. I like that you let us know he is in our thinking though and for me I hope we don't get him.

If we are going to pay a Haynes money for a fullback, I would prefer a longer term contract and get Tedesco or TVS.

Doc keep posting what you hear. I know its not necessarily going to happen but I like an idea where things may be heading.

Dragsters

First Grade
Interesting. I'd have Milne locked up before nearly anyone else on that list, but glad to see that Herbert and Garrick are being prioritised. The future of Aitken is very interesting, as with Dugan and Herbert being viewed as the future, and both likely to overtake Euan, it's hard to see where he'll end up.

Field to fullback wouldn't be the worst, given him a year or two to prep for the move to 5/8 and once he does make the move, Steve Marsters takes the #1 jersey.

The only question is, who played 5/8 in the meantime. Should be Mann. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Hutch is move back in next year...

I agree Milne should be the first re-signed of that bunch.

He has the potential to be a very damaging and skillful centre. A rare combination indeed.

Steve Masters looks like he could be anything but must be a few years away yet.

Dufty deserve a crack and if steps up then I reckon next year this backline would be strong...

Dufty
Garrick
Dugan
Milne
Nene
Field
Hunt

Could be super off the back of our pack.

If Field pans out better at 1 than Dufty then we go to market for a 6 of if Widdop has a stellar season then keep him even.

The Doc

Juniors
I agree Milne should be the first re-signed of that bunch.

He has the potential to be a very damaging and skillful centre. A rare combination indeed.

Steve Masters looks like he could be anything but must be a few years away yet.

Dufty deserve a crack and if steps up then I reckon next year this backline would be strong...

Dufty
Garrick
Dugan
Milne
Nene
Field
Hunt

Could be super off the back of our pack.

If Field pans out better at 1 than Dufty then we go to market for a 6 of if Widdop has a stellar season then keep him even.
Agree 100% regarding Milne.
Only problem with the backline you listed is Aitkens is missing.
Im like you, i wouldnt have Aitkens in my backline, but he has just resigned for 3 years so you can bet he aint going anywhere.
Dugan at centre kills Milne.
We need Milne at centre inside Nene.
Its the Aitkens/Nighty side that needs tweeking/changing.
I cant see how we can keep Dugan, Dufty, Aitkens, Nene, and still fit Milne in the 13.
If Dufty is fullback then Dugan is ahead of Milne.
Let Dufty go, keep duges at FB till Masters is ready, and Milne at centre???
Maybe that could work?
Mann on the wing for Nighty? And if Field doesnt work at 5/8 give a mann a run there?
If Manns tearing it up on the wing and Field fails maybe give Hutch a run (2018 obviously)???
Alot of factors to consider... but keep in mind bennyV Aitkens isnt likely to be replaced im afraid.
How would u line the team up taking that into consideration now?