What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers's Terminate Cleary's Contract

Getting rid of Cleary will only succeed if the Panthers make a home run hiring.
Griffin is NOT a home run hire. He is more like a swinging bunt that dribbles to first base. It gets the team nowhere .... damn I gotta watch less baseball

Dazzat

First Grade
The top 10 "worst buys of all time" came out this week - and two of the players featured in the top 10 were brought to the Broncos by Griffin - Kennedy and Barba.

I would have thrown in Scott Prince as well. Griffin brought him to the Broncos which effectively locked out Ben Hunt from the halfback role for another year and also lead to Corey Norman leaving the club.

Griffin has no idea about building a team. Bye bye Penrith.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Both are scummy... one was obviously facetious, the other (yours) is flat out disgusting - someone actually did die there

Um no it wasn't facetious. Someone (two guys actually) died in that scenario as well with merlons like Wizardman baying for their blood.

So the question still remains; what is more scummy? To suggest in the past that a footy coach may be indirectly responsible for a footy player's death or to actively wish for the deaths of two rehabilitated criminals?

Pantherjim.

Referee
I like Gould TBH. He has done well helping the Panthers move into a new phase of professionalism, I seriously wish he came to Wests. Wasn't afraid to make, or back, big calls (Lewis/Gordon/Jennings/Grant,) in what he saw as necessary to help secure long term success.

If for whatever reason Cleary doesn't fit into those plans, it's a fair call to make I guess. There is more than is being reported.

With all due respect TC, I disagree.

The best thing he's done is bring us a premiership in 91'

But it was all downhill from there.

JJ

Immortal
Um no it wasn't facetious. Someone (two guys actually) died in that scenario as well with merlons like Wizardman baying for their blood.

So the question still remains; what is more scummy? To suggest in the past that a footy coach may be indirectly responsible for a footy player's death or to actively wish for the deaths of two rehabilitated criminals?

Ok, fair enough... both are scummy - but are you seriously suggesting that a coach cannot drop players for fear something terrible might happen?

Pantherjim.

Referee
Ok, fair enough... both are scummy - but are you seriously suggesting that a coach cannot drop players for fear something terrible might happen?

There's more to it than that.

Boods was also denied a 91' premiership blazer despite playing in the GF.

But I'm not suggesting Gould should be held accountable for his death either.

All I'm saying is that Gould has made decisions that has negatively impacted on the club in the past, now it looks as if he's made another.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal

Boods was also denied a 91' premiership jersey despite playing in the GF.

But I'm not suggesting Gould should be held accountable for his death either.

All I'm saying is that Gould has made decisions that has negatively impacted on the club in the past, now it looks as if he's made another.

Fair enough... history now, that 90-91 team (IMO) would have won at least another premiership or two had these things not happened.

Time will tell on Cleary, he's a good coach, and the Warriors letting him go was a poor decision.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If Cleary comes back to the Warriors I won't be looking forward to Gould commentating our games.

I never look forward to Gould ever commentating, but we get SFA CH9 games so it wouldn't matter much.

I'll never listen to another word Gould says if he appoints anyone, Griffin et al, over Brennan. Has pissed on about how good this guy is, should be an NRL head etc and ends up confirming himself as a massive hypocrite if he is not.

Then again, if he's geniused enough to appoint Griffin then I shouldn't anyway.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Clearly is a very good coach, but not a great one. TBF their aren't many great ones going around, but I'd rather not see him back at the Warriors. I didn't think he was a premiership winning coach back then, still don't now.

He would be a great fit for the Tigers though. Definitely knows how to rebuild a club and get the best attitude out of players.

DB

First Grade
My sources are telling me Steve Price is shortening as favourite for the job.

GongPanther

Referee
Fmd, what a dumb f**k thing to say Albert . . . there is a line you can't cross

Ignore the troll Popeye.He is a another person trying to get a raise out of people.

He made a comment a number of posts before this one.And because he was ignored,he had to get that attention that he was so desperately seeking by crossing the line with something outrageous.

It simply shows nothing but the measure of the poor character that he/she is.

TheFrog

Coach

Boods was also denied a 91' premiership jersey despite playing in the GF.

Ben Alexander didn't play in the 1991 Grand Final. He was on the bench along with John Cartwright, Brad Izzard, and Anthony Xeureb. The plan was for Alexander to come on for Simmons as had been happening in previous matches, but Royce had a blinder and Gould left him on. In the event, only Cartwright and Izzard were used.

I'm sure Alexander would have received a premiership ring and his jersey as he was part of the 17 man squad.

Incorrect

Coach
My sources are telling me Steve Price is shortening as favourite for the job.

How short?

As short as his chin?

10313356_250921051762425_3100975627090606926_n.jpg