What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ??? 4

We should be tabling an offer to Jack Bird IMO, no matter what.

If Teddy f**ks off, he can slot in at FB. If Teddy stays, we have an young origin standard player off the back of a premiership in the halves. Add Whare, a cut price winger who can handle the high ball, a dominant pig and another decent second rower and we're looking pretty good.

Tiger05

First Grade
Jack Bird and Tedesco and get rid of Woods. Woods wants the same money as Jack Bird. It's crazy.

We don't even need though Jack Bird but I think he is exactly the type of signing we should be looking to get.

We just need to stop paying overs and get a good squad.

I think we are in a good position here. I reckon we are looking good in relation to the salary cap and if we make good decisions now we will be in position to get players from other clubs. We can only screw that by paying overs.

The big 4 have been the most petulant overpaid and overhyped spoilt dickheads I have seen at this club. Brooks maybe doesn't deserve to be put into the same bucket as the other three.

Clifferd

Coach
Jack bird will want near or same amount of money as Teddy.

So if we were to sign both, with the expense of woods we are down one prop. Which means we need another prop of woods calibur

Tiger05

First Grade
We don't need a prop of Woods calibre at all. I wouldn't even look for another prop at that level. I'd look for a backrower, centres and wingers before considering a prop.

Clifferd

Coach
Wait

So you'd willingly get rid of woods then just hope our prop stocks we have now are good enough?

The basis of a good rugby league team starts in the forwards. That stems from having a good prop/(s) and Woods is our best by the distance it takes to go from here to Pluto and back

Shredder

Juniors
Careful Clifferd, you will get frustrated here.....

As far as I know, Sue is the only prop we have on our books signed past this year.

Radical Rat

Juniors
You can only afford to pay overs for probably one player in your team and Teddy is that one player. I agree 900k is a bit much for Woods despite how valuable he is to us

I suspect Cleary will have a plan in place despite what happens

I love Woodsy, but 900k is far too much for any prop in the game.

That's just not market value for that position. There wouldn't a prop in the game on that sort of coin.

Tiger05

First Grade
I disagree. Our middle forwards are good. We need an edge forward for sure especially on the right edge.

Honestly look at the guys we have in the middle. Grant, Taylor (maybe not a prop but he is pretty good in the middle), Sue, Ava, Felise, Tatola & Aloiai. On the left edge we have Lawrence who I reckon is good but he is inconsistent. On the right edge we have no one. Chee-Kam is a back-up. Woods is better than those guys up the middle but not for the money he is asking.

It comes down to money and having the players that we want to have at the club.

If this whole debacle and our history of cap management shows us anything it is that we have juniors that want overs to stay and that simply isn't going to work. Once someone wants overs then we have every right to tell them to f**k off.

Tiger05

First Grade

That's just not market value for that position. There wouldn't a prop in the game on that sort of coin.

I can't believe that people aren't seeing this. It's nuts. Why even go there.

Shredder

Juniors
Can anyone tell me who is better than Woods?
Throw a couple of names out there.

I'll go Graham is probably on par.

Who else?

Clifferd

Coach
Please tell me any top team that doesn't have a Woods type prop in there team.

I'm fine with letting him go, IF we replace him with another prop that is near the same caliber, preferably on less $$$

hindy111

Post Whore
700k for Moses on a 2 yr deal to Parra is fine. One of the most promising half juniors in the game along with Ash Taylor and Elgey.
Keep in mind guys like Hodkinson signed 700k + contract 2 yrs ago. With cap increase 700k is like 500k.
I feel sorry for tigers fans. Parra went thru this same thing. And when did things turn around for us?
When we lost our best player potentially ever.
Do I blame Moses? No. Was he not a Parra junior?

I think this is great for both clubs. We need a half and he will fit in great. At the tigers you do not want to young guys who aren't great defensively.

As far Tedesco - A must keep. But Woods? A big lumber jack who works hard. If it wasn't for his character and long hair he would go a lot less in noticed. 600k would be the offer id table. And if miss out sign Big Ben who will be half and potentially better if regains form.

Parra wont release Brown - . Our best forward. But Beau Scott - That would be good for both parties. He will help your forward pack.

Even a guy like Gower will help balance your forwards who are Unfit and defensively ordinary.

Jasons Taylors biggest fault was putting together a fast flashy team and neglecting defensive players.

Clifferd

Coach
What people aren't getting either is our forwards aren't the problem in this, it's our edge defense. Where did ALL of the Dragons come from last week? On the edge/out wide. None through the middle

All of Melbournes tries came from out wide too, and because of poor kick chase.

Our middle forwards have been dominating the ruck the last 2 weeks. Stats prove that...our stats infact prove we should have won the last 2 games. Woods is the most important part of our go forwadd

Clifferd

Coach

That's exactly what I'm saying. Offer him a fair amount if he doesn't agree then ok. But sign another prop that's cheaper

05 is saying keep the stocks we have

Shredder

Juniors
We have problems all over the park - its just that our edge defence has got SO bad that its overshadowing the rest.

I trust that Ivan will be looking at the entire team. He has an opportunity to really build an empire here. And I doubt he will let that pass.

Tiger05

First Grade
Please tell me any top team that doesn't have a Woods type prop in there team.

I'm fine with letting him go, IF we replace him with another prop that is near the same caliber, preferably on less $$$

All I'm saying is that we need to look at where we can get the most benefit for our dollars. If we have to get another prop so be it so long as it makes sense.

As for top teams that don't have a top prop. I think no team would be paying props what we are rumoured to be paying Woods and he still isn't signing. How many props are at or close to Woods level or better than him ? There are a lot out there.

Here are just a list of some props. Shannon Boyd, Ryan James, Taupau, Vaughn, Tamou, Gillard, Graham, Blair, Sims, JWK, Scott & Bromwich. Woods is a good player but he can be lazy defensively and he isn't an impact player. He is a real good ball player and metre maker. I like him as a player. I rate him highly. I just don't want to see another situation ala Robbie or Benji or Moses or Brooks where we overpay someone and it screws us for years.

We have a chance now to re-set our salary cap and recruit players in positions where they are required. I think that throwing crazy money at our local juniors who aren't winning competitions for us is not the right way forward.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Offer him a fair amount if he doesn't agree then ok. But sign another prop that's cheaper

05 is saying keep the stocks we have

I agree with that. I wouldn't be letting Woods go and not replace him, that's beyond stupid.

Bird is a player you make room for though IMO.