What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ??? 4

Tiger05

First Grade
That's exactly what I'm saying. Offer him a fair amount if he doesn't agree then ok. But sign another prop that's cheaper

05 is saying keep the stocks we have

Sign another one if that is the right decision. Like mentioned above personally I think we need a right edge backrower as a priority and then another outside back. When we have those positions and our spine sorted then we can go for another prop. Letting Woods go and fixing those positions is better than retaining Woods. Ideally we keep Woods and sort out our other problems but for the money Woods wants I reckon it's an easy decision especially when you add to that the way he has acted in a time when we needed our captain to show some loyalty.

Tiger05

First Grade
05 - how many of those guys are off contract this year?

I don't think this argument matters. The issue is getting value for money out of our cap and when an opportunity arises if we have the money we can make a play for the right player.

We have to think about building a quality team. We've let heaps of players go because we've overpaid players over the last couple of years. It's f**ken stupid to pay overs because that is all that is on offer. That player is then on overs for the term of his contract and we get screwed. Look at Robbie, Brooks and Moses for instance. Was it worth the contract we paid these guys to lose Taupou, JAC, Koro, Austin, TMM etc.

Clifferd

Coach
We have problems all over the park - its just that our edge defence has got SO bad that its overshadowing the rest.

I trust that Ivan will be looking at the entire team. He has an opportunity to really build an empire here. And I doubt he will let that pass.

If I had to rate our problems we had on a scale of 1-10

Edge Defense - 1/10 (needs most work)

Edge Attack - 4/10 (I'm a strong believer in good defense and the attack will come)

Middle Defense - 7/10 (sometimes a lack of fitness gets us but mostly ok)

Middle go forward 8/10 (our all run metres is 4th best in the competition despite running last. Although also largely due to Nofo and Teddys DH runs, still counts)

Halves creativity 1/10 (absolutely fcking terrible)

Tiger05

First Grade
Clifferd - I think we are basically okay in the middle. You saw it last week in that we smashed them at times and we get plenty of metres up the middle.

Our edge defence is the worst problem for sure and then our attack. All I'm saying is because those are the areas where we are shit those are the areas we need to improve the most.

The club not playing the game with Moses was the best thing I've seen in a long time. We need to step up more though in relation to this.

If I had to rate our problems we had on a scale of 1-10

Edge Defense - 1/10 (needs most work)

Edge Attack - 4/10 (I'm a strong believer in good defense and the attack will come)

Middle Defense - 7/10 (sometimes a lack of fitness gets us but mostly ok)

Middle go forward 8/10 (our all run metres is 4th best in the competition despite running last. Although also largely due to Nofo and Teddys DH runs, still counts)

Halves creativity 1/10 (absolutely fcking terrible)

Our middle defence isn't that good IMO. It's covered up because we compress and teams just find it easier to throw it down to their left and score at will.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As i keep saying 05, we cannot lose Woods until we have him replaced first.

The reason why we are good in the middle is Woods. Look how good our middle is when he goes off the field. Our structure in defence collapses and we concede tries

Clifferd

Coach
Our middle defence isn't that good IMO. It's covered up because we compress and teams just find it easier to throw it down to their left and score at will.

I dunno, I still think it's solid and far from our issues. Penrith and Canberra tried to batter our middle defense for the firs 30 mins in their respective games against us, realised it wasn't really working then started going out wide and comedy hour arrived

I dunno, I still think it's solid and far from our issues. Penrith and Canberra tried to batter our middle defense for the firs 30 mins in their respective games against us, realised it wasn't really working then started going out wide and comedy hour arrived

Yeah maybe. I think if we were to shore up our right edge this year though you'd find teams would come up the guts and get a roll on. We don't put nearly enough players on their backs, or turn them around. We're no good at winning the ruck.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Can anyone tell me who is better than Woods?
Throw a couple of names out there.

I'll go Graham is probably on par.

Who else?
I can't believe the grubby dogs r possibly shopping graham around coz they r eager to sign Woods.Hence I have no doubt we could sign graham for much less than the ridiculous 900k woods is seeking.

Tiger05

First Grade
As i keep saying 05, we cannot lose Woods until we have him replaced first.

The reason why we are good in the middle is Woods. Look how good our middle is when he goes off the field. Our structure in defence collapses and we concede tries

I agree that Woods adds to our middle but I disagree we suffer much when he goes off.

Clifferd

Coach
Haha sorry 05 mate but you're having a laugh if you disagree with that

Notice how we let in those 3 quick tries against Penrith, Canberra 10 minutes before half time and the game was essentially over then?

Woods wasn't on the field at the time.

If I'm not mistaken Woods was left on majority of the 1st half against Melbourne and look what Happens. A concussed Edwards knocks the ball on and we concede. Just 1

Only reason we conceded against dragons quickly was because they were smart and exploited our right edge defense early

Clifferd

Coach
I can't believe the grubby dogs r possibly shopping graham around coz they r eager to sign Woods.Hence I have no doubt we could sign graham for much less than the ridiculous 900k woods is seeking.

We could snare Graham for cheaper imo. Would be a good swap

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don't think this argument matters. The issue is getting value for money out of our cap and when an opportunity arises if we have the money we can make a play for the right player.

We have to think about building a quality team. We've let heaps of players go because we've overpaid players over the last couple of years. It's f**ken stupid to pay overs because that is all that is on offer. That player is then on overs for the term of his contract and we get screwed. Look at Robbie, Brooks and Moses for instance. Was it worth the contract we paid these guys to lose Taupou, JAC, Koro, Austin, TMM etc.
There's no doubt that it's essential we get value for money out of our cap.Its been
an Achilles heel of our admin for many yrs & re recent signings we certainly could've done better.Mcqueen on current form & approaching 30yrs of age isn't worth 400k(in contrast to McQueen's efforts with Souths), Brooks isn't worth anywhere near 550k & although Suli is a kid with potential he isn't currently worth anywhere near the 1.3m contract which I think averages out to approx 400k per annum.Consequently Nofa has every right to seek >400k which isn't really viable for a winger.

On the plus side & credit would probably have to go to Cleary is the withdrawal of the contract to the juvenile wanka moses.

Additionally as much of our salary cap is yet to b spent i have every faith Cleary will get it right & hopefully make us a competitive force again one that's free of selfish ingrates like the nephew of the punch drunk imbecile backdoor !

Clifferd

Coach
Don't get me wrong I respect your opinion but it's true we fall to shit when he goes off the field. I'm sure if someone could be bothered to dig up the stats that would further prove it

Now imagine no woods and nobody to replace him, just our current stocks.

Hoooly doly

Tiger05

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-and-canterbury-bulldogs-20170405-gvepsx.html

I honestly couldn't give a stuff if Woods leaves. I think it's the best thing that could happen to us for the amount of money he wants.

I don't want to lose Tedesco though. In stating that the guy has to be kidding himself. If he signed up quickly and for less money we'd be able to afford other players. These guys are after the most they can get out of the club despite what they state. If they signed up and committed to us and were playing as good as the money they expect to be paid then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of this off field drama.

Perth Tiger

Bench
A fit and motivated Big Ben would be a like for like replacement for Woods. Fit and motivated is a bit of a question at the moment

However a fit and motivate Big Ben with Woods would form the basis of a pack that could provide Brooks and whoever the space to develop their game. It would be stupid to give up elite players without a fight and Woods is one of the elite props in the game

Clifferd

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-and-canterbury-bulldogs-20170405-gvepsx.html

I honestly couldn't give a stuff if Woods leaves. I think it's the best thing that could happen to us for the amount of money he wants.

I don't want to lose Tedesco though. In stating that the guy has to be kidding himself. If he signed up quickly and for less money we'd be able to afford other players. These guys are after the most they can get out of the club despite what they state. If they signed up and committed to us and were playing as good as the money they expect to be paid then there wouldn't be a whole bunch of this off field drama.

Dude

It's more than likely that woods is not the one asking for that money. Bulldogs offered him one million, which is bullshit money for a prop but honestly if you were him you'd take it too wouldn't you?

Latest posts