What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

luke will step up because he will relish being behind a pack that can hold their own. not like the cream buns he was behind at the warriors

Burns

First Grade
Foran says he wants to be prepared for his next season with Canterbury as a priority. Says it all. A disgraceful comment to make towards all those who want to represent NZ.

Te Mare Martin looks good tonight. He can partner Johnson.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Foran says he wants to be prepared for his next season with Canterbury as a priority. Says it all. A disgraceful comment to make towards all those who want to represent NZ.

Agreed, with Marshall and Nikorima in the squad too and we have a nice balance to pick from

Saves Forans ego really.
Wouldn't/shouldn't be picked.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
There'll be at least one more withdrawal for similar reasons to Foran & possibly one or two that (like previous years) will be injured (or held back by their clubs?) who would have been up there as first picks.
This world cup squad will be a mix of mostly young players with NRL experience imo and a few experienced Test ones.
Unfortunately we don't have an origin-type comp to bridge the level-up experience gap between NRL & national representation & the Kiwis need to keep blooding players to build depth in our national side more so than OZ - one of the reasons we haven't been able to sustain a long and successful dominance at this level.
The problem will be getting the mix right & if that happens we can still be competitive. There's some really good younger guys out there that will get an opportunity this year and may surprise us all.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Mole reporting today that 2 days before declaring himself unavailable for the World Cup, Foran had told McGahan and Kidwell he was available

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
"I played under-strength for much of the year at the Warriors and I just wasn't strong enough for NRL football. I've got to get my body right. I really need a big off-season."

Rich102

Staff member
" I've had a holiday for 12 months and now I have to try and get fit again".

adamkungl

Immortal
Unfortunately we don't have an origin-type comp to bridge the level-up experience gap between NRL & national representation

Would Auckland v The Rest ever fly with Kiwi fans? I've certainly noticed a general tone of resentment towards Auckland from other NZers lol. And god knows the NZRL desperately need something to make money from other than 1 test a year vs Australia which is rarely played in front of home fans.
What's the playing numbers split like?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Would Auckland v The Rest ever fly with Kiwi fans? I've certainly noticed a general tone of resentment towards Auckland from other NZers lol. And god knows the NZRL desperately need something to make money from other than 1 test a year vs Australia which is rarely played in front of home fans.
What's the playing numbers split like?

Couldn't see it catching on unfortunately, like the concept but the troubles would be getting NRL clubs involved in it letting their main guys go, getting the public buy in could be difficult, but the main issue would probably be that the guys are all good mates and the Auckland v the Rest stuff isn't passionate here, it's more banter than anything else and I couldn't it ever being anything close to the passion of Origin

adamkungl

Immortal
Couldn't see it catching on unfortunately, like the concept but the troubles would be getting NRL clubs involved in it letting their main guys go, getting the public buy in could be difficult, but the main issue would probably be that the guys are all good mates and the Auckland v the Rest stuff isn't passionate here, it's more banter than anything else and I couldn't it ever being anything close to the passion of Origin

Let's be honest tho the Origin hatred is a bit of a pisstake too.
"Mate vs Mate" and they play together in the Aus squad and at clubs but they apparently hate each other for 3 days a year, yeah ok. It sells tickets.

My general thought is the NZRL needs more profitable properties and high level league desperately needs more promotion and visibility in NZ outside the basketcase Warriors. Plus something like this certainly doesn't hurt the Kiwi squad's chances.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup. We are NOT winning the world cup.

Sorry. You were saying...