What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup 2017 Kiwis news

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Let's be honest tho the Origin hatred is a bit of a pisstake too.
"Mate vs Mate" and they play together in the Aus squad and at clubs but they apparently hate each other for 3 days a year, yeah ok. It sells tickets.

My general thought is the NZRL needs more profitable properties and high level league desperately needs more promotion and visibility in NZ outside the basketcase Warriors. Plus something like this certainly doesn't hurt the Kiwi squad's chances.

These days you're spot on, but from what I read of the early encounters that Origin was built on there seemed to be a bit there, especially with the likes of Raudonikis and co playing, so it built off that, and the fans saw 2-3 good bits of knuckle every game to cement it into their mind right up until the late 90s

Can't really see Mannering running in to belt Blair, although Luke may do it, after all he did try to break his cousins leg lol

You're right something is needed under the Warriors, but that horse has long bolted in terms of something the public could grab onto. Mid 90s was the best chance, Lion Red cup started, 12 teams over 22 rounds, sadly only lasted 3 seasons before going down the gurgler

The comp run now does get TV coverage, but there is no passion behind it. I went to the local club final, would have been a few thousand there probably. Went to the provincial game a couple of weeks back, 1000 tops

JohnDoe

Juniors
NZ u18s side versus Australian schoolboys game to be televised on SKY sports 2 live this Saturday at 11.30am. Also to be televised on Foxtel not sure what time in Australia it will be shown though.

JohnDoe

Juniors
These days you're spot on, but from what I read of the early encounters that Origin was built on there seemed to be a bit there, especially with the likes of Raudonikis and co playing, so it built off that, and the fans saw 2-3 good bits of knuckle every game to cement it into their mind right up until the late 90s

Can't really see Mannering running in to belt Blair, although Luke may do it, after all he did try to break his cousins leg lol

You're right something is needed under the Warriors, but that horse has long bolted in terms of something the public could grab onto. Mid 90s was the best chance, Lion Red cup started, 12 teams over 22 rounds, sadly only lasted 3 seasons before going down the gurgler

The comp run now does get TV coverage, but there is no passion behind it. I went to the local club final, would have been a few thousand there probably. Went to the provincial game a couple of weeks back, 1000 tops

They have established the Taurahere concept at under 18s level. Which sees a NZ residents side play against Kiwi eligible players residing in Australia

Rich102

Staff member
NZ u18s side versus Australian schoolboys game to be televised on SKY sports 2 live this Saturday at 11.30am. Also to be televised on Foxtel not sure what time in Australia it will be shown though.

Thanks JD.

Watched it this morning. We got smashed
Then our halfback goes and bites another player smh

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
"I played under-strength for much of the year at the Warriors and I just wasn't strong enough for NRL football. I've got to get my body right. I really need a big off-season."

Just reading today he is now shacked up with a mother of 6, don't think that will be helping his back much :p

Curlycat

Juniors
Who is the best bet at #6? For mine Martin doesn't offer enough in attack to make up for his D. Harris has got bigger and slower this year and can't play 6 surely. How does Nikorima go on D? I'm leaning that way I think. Hiku is another option but we can't win a world cup with him at 6.

adamkungl

Immortal
My NZ squad looks something like..

1 RTS
2 Fusitua
3 SKD
4 Whare
5 Rapana
6 Marshall
7 Johnson
8 Packer
9 Luke
10 Taupau
11 Mannering
12 Harris
13 Taumololo

14 TMM
15 JWH
16 Blair
17 K.Bromwich

18 K.Nikorima
19 Levi
20 DWZ
21 Taylor
22 Moa
23 Ma'u
24 Glenn

High quality side available, pity about the potato coach.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Who is the best bet at #6? For mine Martin doesn't offer enough in attack to make up for his D. Harris has got bigger and slower this year and can't play 6 surely. How does Nikorima go on D? I'm leaning that way I think. Hiku is another option but we can't win a world cup with him at 6.

Benji by a country mile, but the muppets in charge won't pick him so Martin 6 and Nikorima 14 probably the best we can expect

Penrose_11

Juniors
After Luke's shite season I can see him not even making the squad. I can see Thomas Leuluai coming in out of left field to play the booker role. Was always good on D, had a good kicking game but not a great running game. All 3 would still be better than what Luke offered this year though.

I wouldn't be surprised if TL, Kodi and Levi were all named to cover the hooking roles. The 6 and 9 spots as always are just so crucial to our chances. Long gone are the days of the RTS, Foran, SJ and Luke combo.

playdaball

Bench
After Luke's shite season I can see him not even making the squad. I can see Thomas Leuluai coming in out of left field to play the booker role. Was always good on D, had a good kicking game but not a great running game. All 3 would still be better than what Luke offered this year though.

I wouldn't be surprised if TL, Kodi and Levi were all named to cover the hooking roles. The 6 and 9 spots as always are just so crucial to our chances. Long gone are the days of the RTS, Foran, SJ and Luke combo.

How old is Leulai vs Marshall? If Kidwell and con are talking about building for the future etc and not picking Benji then how does Tommy get in?

Penrose_11

Juniors
Both 32 yrs. Blair's 31. Yes certainly on the way out but I don't think Luke will make the squad. And nor does he deserve to. I'd actually pick Benji as well now Foran's not there.

JJ

Immortal
selectors thought long and hard about Mannering - FFS - useless merkins

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Still feel that we will be shooting ourselves in the foot by leaving Benji out

Remember that test tour Kearney virtually gave away a few years back in England, we had to prepare for the future so left out a stack of players, Hiku and Lolohea were the halves and neither will be sighted in this squad. That has never sat well with me how the Kiwis jumper was treated that tour