What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done refs!!! (after game one)

jk13

First Grade
If they’re going to enforce the Jennings rule, then bring back 5 mins or give them a free set of 6 on your line while he sits out then returns. It was a bad hit but 10 seems a bit long

Pommy

Coach
A big well done and welcome surprise to see how the game was reffed tonight.

The game actually FLOWED and the refs absolutely ignored the the niggle penalties that don't affect the outcome of a game of rugby league. The only penalties that were called were ones that needed to be called to allow for a game to flow well.

A big well done refs!

Well done to the refs ignoring players not playing by the basic rules?

Ok then.

papabear

Juniors
To be honest I agreed with the sin bin.

Aggression needs to be controlled otherwise you should spend time in the bin. He was clearly falling, it doesnt take that much time to change the angle of your swinging arm, imo he could have adjusted to hit the shoulder but he was just out there to demolish to guy.

papabear

Juniors
Lodge and fonuablake should have been binned aswell.
this!

those shots at the legs were criminal.

Honestly matt lodge has lost a screw, every broncos game he gives away a penalty for something completely unnecessary.

Springs09

Juniors
Question to the rules nerds, is this a thing? I remember a few years ago Dogs were denied a try against Parra when Kasiano offloaded and the ball hit the ground. My initial reaction was it was definitely a pass, probably backward, but it landed in front of Kasiano therefore it's clearly a knock on. But you're saying no knock ons if it's a genuine pass? Like with genuine drop kick attempts, or if you're Billy Slater and lose the ball clean?

It’s not a knock on if he passed it. A forward pass that hits the ground is still classed as a forward pass, not a knock on.

That Kasiano no try was called as such because the ref thought it came off a parra player hence why it went forward. When he sent it up it was only to see if it was touched, if it wasn’t then it was a forward pass. Hence the video ref was not ruling on whether the pass was forward or not, just that it wasn’t touched.

84 Baby

Referee
It’s not a knock on if he passed it. A forward pass that hits the ground is still classed as a forward pass, not a knock on.

That Kasiano no try was called as such because the ref thought it came off a parra player hence why it went forward. When he sent it up it was only to see if it was touched, if it wasn’t then it was a forward pass. Hence the video ref was not ruling on whether the pass was forward or not, just that it wasn’t touched.
I didn't know that. Be a rare circumstance for it to be a problem, but in my view just another thing that creates subjectivity in the rules

Apparently to either feel his way or get back into the flow.Who knows these days.But if I were Annesley I'd have him back next weekend.

Cecchin was moving to the UK to officiate in Super League as they were going to move to a two referee system. He was going to over sight the introduction of the system there. About a week before he was due to fly out, the UK decided to not bring it in and hence scrapped the position that they were going to give him. hence he applied to rejoin the NRL referees. This he missed the bulk of the referees pre-season stuff, which is why he was in NSW Cup to start the season.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The bloke was falling. Jennings shot was quality around the midriff but for that. That's footy and not a sinbin offence imo. Unlucky for both.

Doesn’t matter you still can’t go swinging your arms carelessly. Was high and a reportable offence hence the relatively easy decision to send him to the bin.

taipan

Referee
Cecchin was moving to the UK to officiate in Super League as they were going to move to a two referee system. He was going to over sight the introduction of the system there. About a week before he was due to fly out, the UK decided to not bring it in and hence scrapped the position that they were going to give him. hence he applied to rejoin the NRL referees. This he missed the bulk of the referees pre-season stuff, which is why he was in NSW Cup to start the season.

Yeah I know about the two ref now one ref situation in the ESL.That's Pommies for you:p.
I'd seriously consider bringing Badger's missus in to the ref's ranks for the NRL now, think she'd do a better job than one or two of the nonces running around ATM.No names but you can guess.

thorson1987

Coach

Saxon

Bench
The bloke was falling. Jennings shot was quality around the midriff but for that. That's footy and not a sinbin offence imo. Unlucky for both.
That was never going to be "around the midriff".

Vee

First Grade
They made it a sinbin offence last year.
Doesn't make it right.
Doesn’t matter you still can’t go swinging your arms carelessly. Was high and a reportable offence hence the relatively easy decision to send him to the bin.
Had another look tonight. You guys were right, I can only blame the number of beers I'd had but it's no excuse .

Strange for me to call it that way cos I watch games through ref goggles and I've long been an advocate of penalising dangerous play on suspicion and punishing it heavily.

I definitely got that one wrong. He was falling but the hit was high enough to imperil the ball carrier, so Jennings has the onus of proof against him.

King hit

Coach
Really enjoyed the refereeing over the first round. Minimal penalties and letting the game flow. Couple of shit bunker calls but that’s the bunker’s fault not on field referees.

beave

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/18/annesley-discusses-key-decisions-from-round-1/

Here we go. Annesly is going to excuse everything - the refs can do no wrong. It's all a matter of opinion.
At least Archer had the balls to admit when the refs made a mistake.

i like this, gives some clarity to the reasoning behind the decisions. I don’t agree with the penalty try decision but I understand there is a certain levels of greyness in that one which makes it very subjective.

He doesn’t agree with all the decisions made either and acknowledges that.

We’ve needed this a long time, well done to the NRL.

Latest posts