What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

getsmarty

Immortal
Has Widdop played his last Dragons game? English star does shoulder AGAIN
Dragons
  • March 29, 2019 6:58am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
bb2b4f3620f7aa7764630a711a93e19f

Gareth Widdop of the Dragons is taken from the field injured during the Round 3 NRL match between the Brisbane Broncos and St George Illawarra DragonsSource: AAP
Gareth Widdop could possibly have played his last game for the Dragons after dislocating his shoulder in Thursday night’s victory over the Brisbane Broncos.

Late into the second half, Darius Boyd hacked the ball towards the St George Illawarra tryline.

As he rolled to pick up the ball, the Englishman dislocated his shoulder.

723978_640x360_large_20190328222742.jpg

Widdop dislocates shoulder

0:47
Round 3
Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

He was in such agony that he dropped the ball, which Brisbane’s Jack Bird picked up instantly.

Bird dotted down, while Widdop winced in agony.

That made it 24-24.

The pivot was helped from the field by a trainer, and is likely to spend a long time on the sidelines.

“It’s bad,” Dragons coach Paul McGregor said of Widdop’s injury.

“I’m not a doctor, but he’s uncomfortable. It’s dislocated.

“We’ve got a ready-made replacement in (Matt) Dufty.”

723960_640x360_large_20190328203955.jpg

McInnes says see you later!

0:34
The 30-year-old injured the same right shoulder on his last trip to face the Broncos at Suncorp in last year’s NRL finals.

He required surgery during the off-season and missed England’s series win over New Zealand.

Widdop is leaving the Dragons after this season, to return to his native England with Warrington.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/ef9a305e6d5a28a5af374f41030ccef2

getsmarty

Immortal
‘He didn’t back it up’: Pangai fails to replicate fine form as Dragons tame the Tongan powerhouse
Broncos
  • March 29, 2019 7:44am
  • by Staff Writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
50f75d59520da2351e167f0b93bd8e2f

Pangai feels the full force of English enforcer James GrahamSource: Getty Images
After his barnstorming performance against the Cowboys, Tevita Pangai Jr had the world at his feet.

Round 3
The Tonga international, however, was brought back to earth with a bump by the Dragons pack as Brisbane fell to Paul McGregor’s side.

He still turned in 177 metres and offloaded the most of any Broncos forward.

But the big bopper also missed six tackles and conceded one penalty as the Dragons took the two points.

723979_640x360_large_20190328222827.jpg

Saint Norman sinks old club

2:49
“Every good player that comes off contract is linked to the Roosters,” said Gorden Tallis on The Late Show With Matty Johns.

“The way he played against the Cowboys last weekend, most clubs would show interest.

“It was an outstanding performance, but he didn’t back it up and that’s what great players do.

“He wasn’t horrible tonight, but he’s got to make sure he doesn’t drop your standard too low.”

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold went a step further, saying the young forward in the team probably read too much into their success in the early rounds.

“Physically the Dragons won that contest and we got what we deserved in the end there,” he said.

“We had a lot of young guys who probably got a lot of pats on the back after last week’s game but the NRL has a real habit of bringing you back down to earth.

“We will have to learn from that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/7b9bb486da8ebc2954ffcb33f5568ef5

BLM01

First Grade
I make a comparison re Ravalawa. Watch the Parramatta Fijian winger steam onto the ball when rucking it out from his own end or even the effort Periera puts in.
Ravalawa is standing too flat footed and shallow when getting the ball getting man handled in settlers now (even when he scored that try he nearly botched it as got himself in a bad position when Boyd nearly bundled him into touch)
I am happy to give him time but his hands let him down (catching and in tackles) and he is not in posiiton all the time to catch the ball.
I think we need Lomax in for him on the wing for his goal kicking and work his way back to centre. Ravalawa can prove himself back in reggies banging on the door for 1st grade selection then happy to give him another crack.

BLM01

First Grade
I'd personally would like to see Lomax slot in at centre with Aitken pushed to the wing. Ravalawa has talent but needs the experience in reserve grade to develop and understand the game better. Lomax is a quality goal-kicker and that's important IMO.
Or this. I said it weeks earlier Aitken to wing in attack and swap in defense as Lomax taller and positions himself better.

possm

Coach
Shames about our Captain, something had to give, maybe thats why Corey was bought early

I said prior to seasons start that it appears Widdop is playing injured or not completely over his injury. He tried very hard last night but in the end produced more negative actions than positive. By this I mean:
  • His defence was no better than Dufty's.
  • His kicking in general play was off all night.
  • He is not perform at the standard we would expect from him; he was responsible for two tries scored against us.
Now we will see what Mary is going to do with Lomax for the game against Newcastle.

possm

Coach
Or this. I said it weeks earlier Aitken to wing in attack and swap in defense as Lomax taller and positions himself better.

Yes like with Mary, let's just make insane changes to our line-up just to accommodate Mary's love child. Surely the most sensible move should be to drop Leilua off the bench until he reaches match fitness then put Aitken on the bench to cover backrow and an injury to centre. If this is done, there is a spot for Lomax at right centre.

Lafai had a quiet game and if this is because he is playing injured then switch Aitken to his preferred left centre position where he can work with T Sims, Norman and Pereira in defence. Use him as a second left side backrower in attack on the left and have Norman put Pereira away with the long pass when the opportunity presents itself. By the way, wouldn't it be great if Mary had Pereira, Aitken and Sims ready to chase planned short kicks to the Newcastle's in-goal next week.

The only other change I would make to the line-up against Newcastle is to select Pearson to right wing - that is if he is match-fit.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes like with Mary, let's just make insane changes to our line-up just to accommodate Mary's love child. Surely the most sensible move should be to drop Leilua off the bench until he reaches match fitness then put Aitken on the bench to cover backrow and an injury to centre. If this is done, there is a spot for Lomax at right centre.

Lafai had a quiet game and if this is because he is playing injured then switch Aitken to his preferred left centre position where he can work with T Sims, Norman and Pereira in defence. Use him as a second left side backrower in attack on the left and have Norman put Pereira away with the long pass when the opportunity presents itself. By the way, wouldn't it be great if Mary had Pereira, Aitken and Sims ready to chase planned short kicks to the Newcastle's in-goal next week.

The only other change I would make to the line-up against Newcastle is to select Pearson to right wing - that is if he is match-fit.
Insaneness...just following your lead.
And I have said before Aitken to bench but I am coming up with ideas that would fit in with the limited thinking and prowess that Mary has.
Moving Aitken to the other side is insanity. He is suited to the right because of his step and fend...he wont defend any better over that side and Mary wont move him either or Lafai so you are flogging a dead horse.
I am trying to make changes to fit into Mary's narrow thinking cause at the end of the day that is all that will possibly only ever happen...just being realistic....not your utopia stuff
By the way why dont you admit Possm. Mary's love child played alright last night
You really think he is going to get dropped or Lafai on that performance

giboz71

First Grade
Well - I didn’t see that coming
What a sensational win !!!!!

I am going to watch the full replay again today .....

Also - I really feel for Gaz - wishing him all the best - fingers crossed we get him back at the end of the season.

In my head I’m hoping he could be an X factor if we make it to the finals?

He’d be a nice addition for us making a run for the semis at the back end of the season. Could still be a fairytale for him.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Mixed emotions seeing Widdop do his shoulder again but it's always sweet to beat the Broncos in Brisbane after years of copping defeat after defeat at Suncorp.
Three soft / lucky tries and numerous ref blunders almost gifted the match to Brisbane so it was pleasing everyone play determined for the full 80 mins. I thought it was a stoic performance and the best team won on the night. Dufty's speed will be a plus next week and I think Lomax needs to be given more time and Ravalawa possibly less. Can't wait for Friz and JDB to return. We'll be lucky if we see Widdop back this year I reckon. Who's going to captain? Graham?
Don't hold your breath on JDB or you will be the bloke sitting in the corner turning blue. He is going to trial; with a trial date more than likely to be set this month. These types of criminal trials usually are set many months in advance and I would think that probably somewhere around August - September being the likely time frame.

possm

Coach
Yep..the best team won tonight. 3 lucky tries and 1 off a good placed kick for the Broncos...and a few dubious penalties. Starting to sound like Mary.
Right to cue Lockyer and few others how the Broncos were out enthused...and were

Those who wished Widdop was sent to Emgland now have probably got what they wished for. May have played his last game. I'll miss him big time and our side will but not his kicks into other players hands.

I would probably to fit Lomax as our gun goal kicker replace Ravalawa. I want Lomax at 3 but cant drop Aitken on tonights performance.

Before Norman we dont win that game or kick that field goal. He has earned his spot now and played OK tonight. Hunrt best back on field. Lawrie best forward. Vaughan played good minutes and always an impact.

I am still worried about making yardage out of own end..we struggle a bit to make decent metres..we need to change it up a bit more as we did early on.

Well doe to the team..credit where it is due
It's too late now to maximise the Widdop to ESL move, it should have been done the before the start of the trials. I am not convinced that Mary and Millward were not aware that his recovery form shoulder injury was not complete.

Why is it ok to move Lomax out of his preferred position to a position it has already been established he is not suited to when Aitken, despite his good running game last night. In the game last night he Aitken showed the quality of his passing game and his ability to set up his outside man. His mind was always tuned to run himself and when he passed it was never to setup his team mates but to desperately get rid of the ball after running too far and too close to the sideline.

Last night confirmed to me, Aitken is best suited to a bench spot or a backrow forward position.

BLM01

First Grade
Don't hold your breath on JDB or you will be the bloke sitting in the corner turning blue. He is going to trial; with a trial date more than likely to be set this month. These types of criminal trials usually are set many months in advance and I would think that probably somewhere around August - September being the likely time frame.
Just in time for the finals :oops:

possm

Coach
Nice win boys, always good seeing the donkeys get dusted by your mob! Cant hear to many "experts" blowing over tpj now, cheers!
Norman our new clutch player. He is the one more likely to close out a game. Let's hope his short kicks do not land on the chest of the oppositions fastest runner.

True_Believer

Juniors
I said prior to seasons start that it appears Widdop is playing injured or not completely over his injury. He tried very hard last night but in the end produced more negative actions than positive. By this I mean:
  • His defence was no better than Dufty's.
  • His kicking in general play was off all night.
  • He is not perform at the standard we would expect from him; he was responsible for two tries scored against us.
Now we will see what Mary is going to do with Lomax for the game against Newcastle.

Widdop was over his pre-season injury. The injury was caused through the awkward position he landed when going for the ball.

You obviously watched a different game because all of those dot points are irrelevant.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great win tonight. Obvious changes for me are Lomax for Rawalava and Dufty for Widdop. Ravalawa was terrible and scares me when he touches the ball as well as when opposition kick or run to him. Team will target him and he will struggle. Lomax is just too good and will be great on the wing.

Ravalawa is young and will get better but why wait when you have a superstar in Lomax that is already much better. Pearson is also better than Ravalawa. I cannot see why he got the not ahead of both.

Did you see when the Boyd caught the ball outside the goal line and Ravalawa let him run out because he assumed it would be a 20 meter tap? That was bad and at a time when Saints were in control. He just needs more time and reserve grade will be good for him. It will do him better than leaving him in first grade where he will get targetted and his confidence will diminish.

I thought Mary used the bench better this week than last week. He gave Luc less minutes because of last week against Souths. He really made the difference and let in 2 soft tries early in the half against Souths which turned the game. Reason Saints won is because of that imo. Ended the half and started the second half with Vaughny and gave him a small break in the middle period. Vaughny looked fresh at the end of the game and had a lot of minutes which was good to see.

I love the part after the first try when you could hear Vaughny on Fox clear as day say "TPJ was fuc$$ed" to the players as he was walking back. Gold. Even the commentator mentioned it..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Widdop was over his pre-season injury. The injury was caused through the awkward position he landed when going for the ball.

You obviously watched a different game because all of those dot points are irrelevant.
Ive looked several times at the replay and it appeared to me that Boyds reefing at his arm/shoulder to drag him back towards the try line was the main cause....I could me wrong

possm

Coach
Yep Paul clearly had trouble making a decision he tried to play them all so now it’s been taken out of his hands and he’s been forced to play next years side now my only fear is we make the semis and he brings widdop back and that disrupts it all oh Jesus that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?

The real tragedy is that we could have let Widdop go for season 2019 and used his salary to recruit a couple of much needed top line players. Now Widdop will use SGI salary to get himself injury free for his next assignment and SGI will struggle missing the opportunity fo bringing in a couple of players to bolster our squad.

Latest posts