What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah Jesse Ramien and Kalyn Ponga want to say hi. There are always great opportunities if you are good enough and smart enough to get the job done. Not saying it is easy mate, but it is definitely doable.

We just have to have the right people in charge that can make things happen. The best recruitment is done by the best money and people managers. Lets hope our team at HOF is up there with the best of them. So far he is doing a stellar job with Guth and Moses in particular.
You reckon any of those guys were cheap? Ramien and Ponga were in huge demand since SG Ball and whatever the QLD equivalent is.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ferguson was 500k

Would I swap him for Xerri or Ramien?
No way in hell.
I am not fussed with centre position. In the backline I rate Wing and Fullback higher cause 90% of time centers just cancel each other out with good defense. It's nice having an explosive centre and we do not want say a combo of Taka and Parry but if we went with MJ and Salmon for 2020 I'd be happy enough.
Priority is Borwn,Gutherson and maybe Moses.
Then hope Kafusi,Stefano,Mahoney,Stone develop along with Schneider....That would put us in good shape for another 3 or 4 seasons.

TheRam

Coach
You reckon any of those guys were cheap? Ramien and Ponga were in huge demand since SG Ball and whatever the QLD equivalent is.

I believe it was reported at the time that Ponga was given an average of $500k a season which everybody at the time was saying was a massive amount for an unproven junior. As for Ramien, I think he got around $350k, which again is great value for a top flight centre. The Sharks just could not compete due to salary problems.

Gronk

Staff member
It's easy to cherry pick examples like Pongas and Xerris, say that we should target kids with potential and throw big coin at them, but FMD Daniel Mortimer. I think we are still paying for him.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ferguson was 500k

Would I swap him for Xerri or Ramien?
No way in hell.
I am not fussed with centre position. In the backline I rate Wing and Fullback higher cause 90% of time centers just cancel each other out with good defense. It's nice having an explosive centre and we do not want say a combo of Taka and Parry but if we went with MJ and Salmon for 2020 I'd be happy enough.
Priority is Borwn,Gutherson and maybe Moses.
Then hope Kafusi,Stefano,Mahoney,Stone develop along with Schneider....That would put us in good shape for another 3 or 4 seasons.

Xerri has speed and evasiveness, but will need more than that to be top flight centre. Ditto Ramien, who has power but lacks a bit in ball playing. Ramien is also a shocking defensive read.

It's nice to talk about getting high level juniors, but you need to be cautious. More of them burn out than make it.

And anyway, we have done better than quite a few other clubs with our own junior program and a few astute poaches. Mahoney and Salmon came through other clubs before ours and we identified and "poached" them. Maika Sivo could be a star, poached out from under Gus. Marata Niukore poached from NZ when he was just on the cusp of first grade. Ray Stone is yet to really make it sure, but poached from the Tigers as one of their highly rated juniors. Even Gutherson, quite highly rated at Manly and we snuck in and stole him. So it's not like we're not doing this, or not doing it well.

We signed Dylan Brown at 15. I think Ethan Parry is a scouting from rural NSW somewhere?

Then you look at a guy like GL, huge wraps but looks like an example of why you need caution. He's an excellent attacking player who may still make a solid NRL winger, but he's definitely not kicked on.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
And this is where the nrl falls down. There needs to be compensation for losing a player you’ve nurtured. U can’t get draft picks so u need cap concessions

At what age would you consider nurtured? We "poached" Alvaro at 19 years old from the broncos system but he spent 3 years in our development systems because he wasn't ready. Who developed him more for his first grade career?

Or to take a younger example, Kyle Schneider, was in the knight's system at 15 and they didn't know where to play him so he came to Parra. He's in his 4th year here, so who has developed him for first grade? A Newcastle local but a Parramatta junior?

I agree that teams should get some form of compensation for developing players, but I'm not sure how it would work.

jk13

First Grade
Nurtured is too difficult to evaluate under this horrible system. U need to seperate the junior base and set up a draft. The drafted junior gets a std 3-4 yr contract. Top shelf jrs go to the worst teams and the roosters have to wait

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
At what age would you consider nurtured? We "poached" Alvaro at 19 years old from the broncos system but he spent 3 years in our development systems because he wasn't ready. Who developed him more for his first grade career?

Or to take a younger example, Kyle Schneider, was in the knight's system at 15 and they didn't know where to play him so he came to Parra. He's in his 4th year here, so who has developed him for first grade? A Newcastle local but a Parramatta junior?

I agree that teams should get some form of compensation for developing players, but I'm not sure how it would work.

5% cap discount for each continous year they are in your junior system from the age of 16 (so maximum is 25%)

However if they join your club on a nrl / development contract they are excluded, thus we wouId get a discount for Alvaro but not Salmon.

TheRam

Coach
It's easy to cherry pick examples like Pongas and Xerris, say that we should target kids with potential and throw big coin at them, but FMD Daniel Mortimer. I think we are still paying for him.

I didn't say we should throw big coin at all kids with potential. You need to be very selective when you do this. Generally body shape and size and speed if outside backs, should be a factor in accessing juniors, but equally if not more important is character.

Many of the failed juniors who had great potential as juniors didn't have a great (football) character attitude coming through the lower grades. With those types it can go either way and many times it goes the wrong way. But if a young player has all the highest skill sets for his position and a great steel like personality, generally humble, then barring injury or a complete turn of character, you pretty much have a very good NRL player at the least.

Hard not to have a good success rate when you have a strict policy like that if you are taking a punt on a junior player outside of your development program to fill a needed spot that may need strengthening. And there are always quality future leaders in the juniors that we rarely seem to find. These are the type of kids I'm talking about. Reed Mahoney seems to be one like that. I would of said the same thing about D. Brown but not sure now after his press statements about contracts and money. I will reserve judgement on him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It’s under 16s, I’m sure the Knights had no problem finding a position for him. He came to Parra because we had the best junior program. He stayed because we offered the most money.

Obviously that will never be the narrative. Just like how Moses went to the Tigers because we “didn’t want him”. That’s a nice way of saying we wouldn’t match the Tigers’ stupid offer for an SG Ball recruit.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
It’s under 16s, I’m sure the Knights had no problem finding a position for him. He came to Parra because we had the best junior program. He stayed because we offered the most money.

Obviously that will never be the narrative. Just like how Moses went to the Tigers because we “didn’t want him”. That’s a nice way of saying we wouldn’t match the Tigers’ stupid offer for an SG Ball recruit.

The knights didn't have a position for him. He came down as a half, they had Jock Madden and Phoenix Crossland in front of him.

IFR33K

Coach
So after this round, do we expect any signings before Easter Monday clash?

Who’s everyone’s priority at this stage??? BA, gutho or Moses?

TheRam

Coach

And that's why the NRL are there and paid the big bucks and perks and get to rub shoulders with the elite of society, to work out all this sh*t. Not just to arse cover when people take them to task on any given issue that they are corporately negligent in.

Latest posts