What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters
An exasperated Liz Ellis and Peter FitzSimons have spoken out about Israel Folau’s

GoFundMe campaign which has now exceeded the $650k mark.

“Hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations have its way into Israel

Folau’s GoFundMe account, this morning it had tipped just over $600,000,” Ellis said on Nine’s Sports Sunday.

That statement led to FitzSimons unloading over the issue and suggesting that while Folau may have had some initial support in his fight against Rugby Australia he had probably eroded much of that with his GoFundMe campaign.

“I’m the same as you, I’m exhausted by the whole thing,” FitzSimons said,

“I’ll just say this, people say Australia was divided and I think there was some truth in that. “Folau probably had 30 per cent support, I think after this GoFundMe most of Australia went ‘what, seriously?’

“That’s not what GoFundMe is for, it’s for worthy causes where the people need money and they can’t support it so they approach the community and say ‘listen, I’ve got nothing in my pockets, I’ve got a tumour can you help me?’

“I think he’s lost the Australian dressing room on this.”
Folau as it turns out may also be in direct contravention of GoFundMe’s terms and conditions.

According to the TS and Cs on their website, users may not attempt to raise money “for the legal defence of … intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, or serious disabilities or diseases”.

Although Folau has committed no crime with his posts, he is asking for money for legal action to defend a penalty imposed because of his anti-gay social media posts.

There is also a precedent set by GoFundMe in regards to pulling campaigns that are to benefit those who are trying to raise funds in the wake of them landing in trouble for anti-gay views.

In 2015, the site shut down attempts to raise funds to defend a Christian florist in Washington and a baker in Oregon who both used faith as a justification for refusing to supply their wares to same-sex weddings and faced legal sanctions as a result.

But a source close to Folau’s legal team told Seven News they had no doubts about the campaign.

“We are absolutely confident that the campaign is 100 per cent compliant with all relevant rules and regulations,” they said.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...u/news-story/dc56fa9b0545ba2c141084d74a15313d

images

ram raid

Bench
Jesus Christ is this thread still going. All this fuss cause some dickhead posted a moronic meme on his twitter. Izzy would be a great injection of talent and profile for the NRL. He said he would consent to social media clauses in a contract. You guys could even form a volunteer squad to monitor his social media accounts in case he blasphemes and misgenders Caitlyn Jenner or something. Not that your efforts would be required, as the media have devoted their extensive resources to doing that job themselves. The PC gestapo have even begun spying on the poor f**ker at his church to monitor his speech for ideological correctness.

Good on netball Australia for not caving into this madness.

"First and foremost, I want to be very clear that Netball South Australia is fiercely determined to provide an inclusive environment that allows anyone to participate in the great game of netball regardless of gender, belief, age race or sexual orientation.

"We also believe in fairness and perspective,"

"Like millions of other people across Australia, Maria Folau uses her personal social media platform to share her life and beliefs with her family, friends and fans. This week, she shared her husband's controversial Go-Fund-Me post.

"While Netball SA is no way endorses the reposting, we do not believe Maria has contravened our social media policy."

^ There's a nice fresh breath of sanity.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Jesus Christ is this thread still going. All this fuss cause some dickhead posted a moronic meme on his twitter. Izzy would be a great injection of talent and profile for the NRL. He said he would consent to social media clauses in a contract. You guys could even form a volunteer squad to monitor his social media accounts in case he blasphemes and misgenders Caitlyn Jenner or something. Not that your efforts would be required, as the media have devoted their extensive resources to doing that job themselves. The PC gestapo have even begun spying on the poor f**ker at his church to monitor his speech for ideological correctness.

"First and foremost, I want to be very clear that Netball South Australia is fiercely determined to provide an inclusive environment that allows anyone to participate in the great game of netball regardless of gender, belief, age race or sexual orientation.

"Like millions of other people across Australia, Maria Folau uses her personal social media platform to share her life and beliefs with her family, friends and fans. This week, she shared her husband's controversial Go-Fund-Me post.

"While Netball SA is no way endorses the reposting, we do not believe Maria has contravened our social media policy."

I made red and quite large the piece you should be reading matey. He contravened the Rugby AU policy twice, hence the sacking. Who cares about Netball in all this?

Meth

Staff member

Netball Australia showing how it's done.

Also, Folau was a great injection of talent into the NRL a decade ago. Now, he's on his last legs.

ram raid

Bench
Netball Australia showing how it's done.

Also, Folau was a great injection of talent into the NRL a decade ago. Now, he's on his last legs.

I reckon he's got some years in him. He's a freakish talent. He's be a perfect signing for someone like the Broncos. And they'd probably get him cheap for being a heretic.

Canard

Immortal

Bold call by the Netball, they could have lost up to several hundreds of dollars.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Bold call by the Netball, they could have lost up to several hundreds of dollars.

And all the wife did was share the go fund me page she didn’t actually say or post the stuff that got Folau in this trouble to begin with. Again, a hard concept for certain people in this thread.

I might sue Government now, as a non Muslim I shouldn't have to but halal meat. They should cater for halal and non halal meat... going to start up a Go Fund me page, dudes in $1.6million to get started.

Meth

Staff member
I really hope that Netball Australia don't back down on this. I saw one notable Netball Journalist tweeting that she was disappointed that "her game" was "endorsing Folau's views", despite Netball Australia saying "Netball SA is no way endorses the reposting"

There's a lot of virtue signalling going on.

ram raid

Bench
And all the wife did was share the go fund me page she didn’t actually say or post the stuff that got Folau in this trouble to begin with. Again, a hard concept for certain people in this thread.

The concept you should be understanding, is that the debacle is not about whether or not Izzy breached a companies 'social media policy', it's a lighting rod for issues much larger, such as whether social media policies should exist in the first place, and to what extent etc. Anybody who is honest will agree that if a Muslim player said some something stupid, as religious people are prone to do, the outrage would have been more subdued, contextualised, or most likely, non-existent. Not that there's anything wrong with Muslims. But the double standards and selective outrage on issues like this shows the intellectual dishonesty in people who make an issue of this kind of thing.

typicalfan

Coach
I reckon he's got some years in him. He's a freakish talent. He's be a perfect signing for someone like the Broncos. And they'd probably get him cheap for being a heretic.
I think at this stage, I have more chance of playing for the Broncos.

Iafeta

Referee
Meanwhile, his gofundme campaign is in contravention to the rules around what a gofundme can be used for. The rules explicitly prohibit legal defence.

Latest posts