What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

unforgiven

Bench
Penrith is owned by the league’s club isn’t it?
No Penrith stadium is owned by the council. This I pay taxes but do not use a stadium argument is stupid, there are so many government owned facilities that I don't use, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be built or maintained. I don't use the Harbour Bridge so we should get rid of it. the Opera House is too far from where I live, I think they should build another one down the road from where I live!

Timbo

Staff member
I think we need to look a bit outside the box for the new SFS.

In Canada, the Canadian Football League teams only draw 15-20k per game. However, the Grey Cup (Canadian Super Bowl) rotates venues each year and gets a 40k+ crowd. So most of the venues are designed as 25-35k stadiums, but with the ability to very easily bump in an extra 5-15k temporary seats for big games.

Something like that, a 32k stadium where you could slot in an extra 5k behind the in goals at either end for ANZAC Day, semi finals, Wallabies and Socceroos tests would probably tick the necessary boxes.

Marlins

Juniors
I think we need to look a bit outside the box for the new SFS.

In Canada, the Canadian Football League teams only draw 15-20k per game. However, the Grey Cup (Canadian Super Bowl) rotates venues each year and gets a 40k+ crowd. So most of the venues are designed as 25-35k stadiums, but with the ability to very easily bump in an extra 5-15k temporary seats for big games.

Something like that, a 32k stadium where you could slot in an extra 5k behind the in goals at either end for ANZAC Day, semi finals, Wallabies and Socceroos tests would probably tick the necessary boxes.
They could just take the Anzac Day Game to the Scg. A 30k stadium would be sufficient for all other Roosters games.
If the chooks where to come across Souths/Dragons in a final, just take them to the Scg as well, or a full house of 30k is still pretty awesome.

As for the Wannabes/SRoos, if they’re going to be selling anymore then 30k, take them to Homebush.

forby

Juniors
This idea of ‘I pay taxes and I live in Penrith so give me a stadium’ is beyond moronic.

Well, I live in Newcastle. So unless you can guarantee that none of the taxes I pay go to your stadium in Penrith then no deal.

There are going to be three state of the art stadiums in Sydney. I’m sorry if driving half an hour down a motorway is just too difficult for you to manage, but single club, council owned stadiums aren’t getting any funding.
Where did the money for your stadium come from? Yeah, that’s right - the state government!

Timbo

Staff member
Where did the money for your stadium come from? Yeah, that’s right - the state government!

I’ve just checked on Google Maps - I live 25kms from Hunter Stadium.

Please give me $500 million dollars as I don’t think I should have to go that far and I pay taxes.

forby

Juniors
I’ve just checked on Google Maps - I live 25kms from Hunter Stadium.

Please give me $500 million dollars as I don’t think I should have to go that far and I pay taxes.
That is just being pathetic!
I live 37km from BankWest, about the same as from Penrith Stadium to BankWest.
But that’s ok you have a ground that I helped pay for, but nobody else should get one that you contribute to. Sounds fair!

Timbo

Staff member
But that’s ok you have a ground that I helped pay for, but nobody else should get one that you contribute to. Sounds fair!

Jesus Christ, listen to yourself.

There is going to be over two BILLION dollars of stadium expenditure on rectangular fields alone in Sydney when this is done. But it’s not in your suburb so you’re throwing the toys out of the pram.

Your council owned ground is not entitled to any taxpayer money. Here’s an idea - if you don’t want to spend ~20 minutes in a car to get to a world class stadium, have the council raise rates by 5,000% so you can build your own venue.

Pommy

Coach

Nobody else, you’re the person deciding a stadium less than 30 mins from your house isn’t for you.
It’s a bit rich to be calling anyone pathetic with the logic you’re employing.

Rooster8

Juniors
The Matilda’s were based in Penrith this year.
Besides, they don’t want $100’s of millions as you suggest, just enough to make it a modern all seater around 25000.
But obviously you are very Sydneycentric and don’t realise just how many people there are west of Parramatta, and probably never will!
My bad, so a $80 Million+, 25,000 capacity stadium, 2 hours away from Sydney, where 20,000 penrith supporters may attend twice a year when the panthers are in the top 4, and 10,000 will attend the rest, A-League, Matilda's, Union etc.

I'm sure if a 25,000 stadium is not hundreds of millions of dollars to construct, then maybe Penrith can fund it themselves through affiliates. Otherwise, if the government builds/redevelops you a new stadium, then they owe one to Newcastle, Wollongong, Dubbo, Mudgee and every other regional stadium who host some professional sports every calendar.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
There were 3 features that were different
- 15k extra capacity
- 10k dedicated SCG members area on the western side
- underground roadway like at ANZ

If you took the bank west design and whacked a mid tier stand between bottom and top one that went all the way around.. just for scg members .. it would hold about 10k

Would make stadium 40k and cost far less than 800m

forby

Juniors
There is no point arguing with those that do not want to accept that there is another point of view. It is easy to argue against finding other stadiums when you already have a government funded stadium.
Let’s just ignore the million or so that live west of parramatta. We obviously don’t exist!

forby

Juniors
My bad, so a $80 Million+, 25,000 capacity stadium, 2 hours away from Sydney, where 20,000 penrith supporters may attend twice a year when the panthers are in the top 4, and 10,000 will attend the rest, A-League, Matilda's, Union etc.

I'm sure if a 25,000 stadium is not hundreds of millions of dollars to construct, then maybe Penrith can fund it themselves through affiliates. Otherwise, if the government builds/redevelops you a new stadium, then they owe one to Newcastle, Wollongong, Dubbo, Mudgee and every other regional stadium who host some professional sports every calendar.
Unlike building a 40000 seat stadium for a team that draws more than 15000 maybe twice a year not counting Anzac Day!

Timbo

Staff member
There is no point arguing with those that do not want to accept that there is another point of view. It is easy to argue against finding other stadiums when you already have a government funded stadium.
Let’s just ignore the million or so that live west of parramatta. We obviously don’t exist!

Because you’re talking about west of Parramatta like you’re in Broken f**king Hill and that it’s impossible for you to get to any of the other stadiums. The fact that you keep ranting about 37kms like it’s a trip to the moon shows the depth of your delusion.

Is your heart also bleeding for taxpayers in Cronulla, Warringah and Campbelltown who also aren’t having stadiums built just for them? What about the good folks of Tamworth, or Tweed Heads? Or is it just you?

forby

Juniors
No it is not just me. I just get upset with those that say billions should be spent to build a stadium that is too big for its tenants, 2 stadiums within 5 km of each other, and then say that nobody else should have money spent on them because there are 3 stadiums in Sydney.
How about we make SFS a 20000 seat stadium and then build 40000 seat stadium in the west and tell SFC and the Waratahs they have to play there? It is the same logic as telling Penrith they should kill off their following and move to parramatta. There is no connection between parramatta and Penrith spiritually, culturally, sporting or otherwise.