What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd24: Parra v Broncos LIVE GAME DAY thread 30/8/19

IFR33K

Coach
Every career coach was an assistant or rookie at one stage. I wasn’t and never did throw my support around for Holbrook. I have no opinion of him, like others do. Having said that there was at least two better options than BA and Holbrook, last year, and other clubs capitalised.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
BA can win the comp at the eels......

1) It appears our club management structure has finally been fixed and we have sufficient resources in place for the NRL side / junior pathways etc etc and finally get our own NSW cup side. As they say the office needs to be fixed before the NRL side can win. BA has had a few rough years dealing with off field issues, he finally gets to focus on coaching

2) we have made significant improvement from 2018 to 2019, wooden spoon to finalists. BA has made changes to improve our attack. Defence has improved in the second half of the year.

3) we have a young side with plenty of improvement in it. Our spine has played less then 13 games together. Hooker / 5/8 are rookies. Our backline hasn’t played many games together. Gutho / Moses are getting towards the years when they will be at there peak. Sivo has plenty of improvement in him. Our forward pack also have some players heading towards their peak years (paulo / brown / Evans / Marata / lane. )

4) we have several promising rookies , Stefo / parry / stone / kaufusi / salmon etc etc playing NSW cup, when was the last time we actually had a bunch of rookies playing regularly in NSW cup

5) we are moving to our COE

6) probably one of the most important factors, is we finally have our cap management under control. We will finish 5th or 6th this year, however it appears we still have the ability to add a couple of quality top 17 players to our squad. Yeah we may not get a player straight away, but eventually we will get the type of player we want. This will help massively with improving our ability to win the comp

7) we have won enough games, 3 of the last 4 years to play finals footy. Yeah we haven’t been serious contenders, however the first part is playing finals footy consistently, then get some luck every few years to be serious contenders. That is what the sharks / cowboys did

8) BA, he has made quite a few tough decisions over the years to show he will make decisions on what is best for the side (has dropped several players mannah, Scott etc etc,) let players leaves, selected rookies etc etc

9) Success has followed BA, the eels are his 5th club. In country footy when he started, coaching in QLD, at the storm and at Manly he has always been successful. He has shown in 2016, when he could have walked, he is a good leader. Considering how much crap the club has had over the last few years, there is rarely any talk of BA losing the dressing room

10) BA, as opposed to what some think, does change our structure as required. Eg we started of with paulo as a middle half, then sweeping plays, then halves playing both sides, getting bigger bodies, more off loads, forwards ball playing etc etc etc

Finally, my opinion on BA’s future at the club, while I think BA can win a comp with the eels, next year is very important. We have been successful this year going from spoon to finalists (anything from here is a bonus), however we have to do it again then year. Obviously depending on how healthy our squad is, if BA doesn’t get us really pushing towards a top 4 spot next year (and we shouldn’t be struggling to make the 8) then it’s probably time to look at other coaching options.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Read through my previous posts and the answer is there for you.

I wanted him gone last year when we had some better alternatives available.

Now that we don't have those alternatives available and we are going much better it doesn't make sense.

Only a Parra fan would come up with such a nonsense suggestion.
Gary Fenceful.

Glenneel

Bench
True.

Whiney keeps bringing up the last 6 years but that was already considered when he was re-signed this year.

A decision on whether we arsehole him going forward will be based on what he brings to the table since he was last signed.

Right now, he can point to us going from last to the finals. Merkins can try and dismiss that but it is a significant effort.
Going from 4th to last is also a considerable effort.

IFR33K

Coach
BA can win the comp at the eels......

1) It appears our club management structure has finally been fixed and we have sufficient resources in place for the NRL side / junior pathways etc etc and finally get our own NSW cup side. As they say the office needs to be fixed before the NRL side can win. BA has had a few rough years dealing with off field issues, he finally gets to focus on coaching

2) we have made significant improvement from 2018 to 2019, wooden spoon to finalists. BA has made changes to improve our attack. Defence has improved in the second half of the year.

3) we have a young side with plenty of improvement in it. Our spine has played less then 13 games together. Hooker / 5/8 are rookies. Our backline hasn’t played many games together. Gutho / Moses are getting towards the years when they will be at there peak. Sivo has plenty of improvement in him. Our forward pack also have some players heading towards their peak years (paulo / brown / Evans / Marata / lane. )

4) we have several promising rookies , Stefo / parry / stone / kaufusi / salmon etc etc playing NSW cup, when was the last time we actually had a bunch of rookies playing regularly in NSW cup

5) we are moving to our COE

6) probably one of the most important factors, is we finally have our cap management under control. We will finish 5th or 6th this year, however it appears we still have the ability to add a couple of quality top 17 players to our squad. Yeah we may not get a player straight away, but eventually we will get the type of player we want. This will help massively with improving our ability to win the comp

7) we have won enough games, 3 of the last 4 years to play finals footy. Yeah we haven’t been serious contenders, however the first part is playing finals footy consistently, then get some luck every few years to be serious contenders. That is what the sharks / cowboys did

8) BA, he has made quite a few tough decisions over the years to show he will make decisions on what is best for the side (has dropped several players mannah, Scott etc etc,) let players leaves, selected rookies etc etc

9) Success has followed BA, the eels are his 5th club. In country footy when he started, coaching in QLD, at the storm and at Manly he has always been successful. He has shown in 2016, when he could have walked, he is a good leader. Considering how much crap the club has had over the last few years, there is rarely any talk of BA losing the dressing room

10) BA, as opposed to what some think, does change our structure as required. Eg we started of with paulo as a middle half, then sweeping plays, then halves playing both sides, getting bigger bodies, more off loads, forwards ball playing etc etc etc

Finally, my opinion on BA’s future at the club, while I think BA can win a comp with the eels, next year is very important. We have been successful this year going from spoon to finalists (anything from here is a bonus), however we have to do it again then year. Obviously depending on how healthy our squad is, if BA doesn’t get us really pushing towards a top 4 spot next year (and we shouldn’t be struggling to make the 8) then it’s probably time to look at other coaching options.

Thanks BA.

What sort of dickarse question is that?

Of course it f**ken is.

If we won last year and maintained a similar squad then surely we'd have higher expectations than we currently do.
Imagine a coach that wins the spoon every second year. Every other year he scrapes into the finals. Following your logic, if his contract was renewed in the non-spoon years then we should continually sign him and fans shouldn't have a problem with that.

Glenneel

Bench
Several teams, Broncos and Storm are the most obvious, always stand players offside to prevent a defender getting to the playmaker kicking the ball. Some even grab or move to prevent the opposition getting to the kicker and the refs are absolutely blind to it. And you can put your money on no penalties during golden point time, which should be changed to extra 10 mins played as they do in the finals. Much better spectacle.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I responded with thanks ba because you’re a ba yes man that sees no fault in him. You’re the ultimate sugar coater when it comes it ba.

Really:

Until our off field issues are fixed no one will be successful coaching at the eels, however it finally appears we now have the right structures in place.

My support for BA, that while his results haven’t been fantastic (but not exactly terrible either), is that he has to deal with a lot of, off field crap that hasn’t really enable him to be a success.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Really:

Until our off field issues are fixed no one will be successful coaching at the eels, however it finally appears we now have the right structures in place.

My support for BA, that while his results haven’t been fantastic (but not exactly terrible either), is that he has to deal with a lot of, off field crap that hasn’t really enable him to be a success.

Which coach hasn’t had to deal with scandals and off field issues?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Which coach hasn’t had to deal with scandals and off field issues?

As much as eels / BA? Which club has had their board removed? Administration appointed? Insiders leak info? Radio presenters spread shit? Factional wars every few years? Salary cap sandals ? Inheriting wooden spoon squad / with salary cap issues Etc etc etc etc.

BA in his first year or so couldn’t even have a 30 man squad due to salary cap issues and paying players to play else where.

Also look at Manly / sharks who have both had salary cap issues recently and fined. Gee neither lost any players and sharks have also been able to add Dugan / SJ / Morris / woods / Moylan / Ennis etc to there squad during their cap issue years, yet BA never had the same “back room” support to help him during his salary cap crisis. He had to basically do it alone!! f**k he had one assistant coach to start with in 2018, no footy manager, no development coach etc etc

hindy111

Post Whore
Read through my previous posts and the answer is there for you.

I wanted him gone last year when we had some better alternatives available.

Now that we don't have those alternatives available and we are going much better it doesn't make sense.

Only a Parra fan would come up with such a nonsense suggestion.

What I like about BA is he makes simmilar decisions to my thoughts and Rams.
Signs Lane and Jnr.
Drops Alvaro and Tepai. Doesn't re sign Mannah or Tepai.
Gets some big powerfull wingers.

I like the way he thinks towards players in most cases.

hindy111

Post Whore
We would still need a 50 point turn around in differential and Souths to lose this week to finish top 4.
We had our chance. We should of beat the Dogs and Brisbane . And even if did it still may not of meant top 4 if Souths beat Roosters this week.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
At least Josh gave a detailed reason why he thinks how he does. I don’t agree with him often but at least he is always willing to give a reason to think like he does and I respect him for that.

He’s also made some fair points, we are a young side with a young and new spine with plenty of improvement. We do have a COE on the way with Amish improved structure around the coach which was one reason I was happy for us to chase a coach to get us to that next level which I don’t think BA is capable.

But I disagree with our style of football, our defence which can be very soft on occasions and the fact that we really are a dumb team that do the 1%ers very poorly. After 6 season you would hope they would have those sorts of things covered. How many times do we just not turn up in games??? It happens far too often for us ever to be genuine contenders.

Latest posts