What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd24: Parra v Broncos LIVE GAME DAY thread 30/8/19

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Every career coach was an assistant or rookie at one stage. I wasn’t and never did throw my support around for Holbrook. I have no opinion of him, like others do. Having said that there was at least two better options than BA and Holbrook, last year, and other clubs capitalised.
Thats right. We missed our opportunity and made a decision to keep the incumbent.

Why are merkins still obsessing over it when we are about to play finals football? I don't get it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Imagine a coach that wins the spoon every second year. Every other year he scrapes into the finals. Following your logic, if his contract was renewed in the non-spoon years then we should continually sign him and fans shouldn't have a problem with that.
I said he will be judged based on what he does after he gets re-signed.

If you follow through your dodgy straw man to its completion it wouldn't result in a perpetual re-resigning.

When it comes to a non-spoon year and the question of re-signing comes up they would need to consider why when they signed him the last time they went from the finals to the spoon. The fact that they are in the finals this year may not be enough.

I used the same logic to suggest earlier that if we don't show signs of improvement next year then BA's job is on the line. Right now it isn't.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
And you keep avoiding the question.

It’s not that hard, but you keep dodging it like a pollie in an election campaign.
Tell me what the question is again? I reckon I've answered it already but I'm happy to give you a yes/no answer if that's all you want.

I said he will be judged based on what he does after he gets re-signed.

If you follow through your dodgy straw man to its completion it wouldn't result in a perpetual re-resigning.

When it comes to a non-spoon year and the question of re-signing comes up they would need to consider why when they signed him the last time they went from the finals to the spoon. The fact that they are in the finals this year may not be enough.

I used the same logic to suggest earlier that if we don't show signs of improvement next year then BA's job is on the line. Right now it isn't.
So now his performance prior to his last re-signing will be considered? He's already taken us from the finals to a spoon, and been re-signed. Why shouldn't we sign him for another two years if the pattern repeats?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Glad we sorted that out.

I agree with you that we should have punted him last year. But we are going OK this year and aren't too far away from being a Top 4 team. Once that happens a premiership isn't put of the question.

Big issue for me will be to build on this year and become a more patient and consistent football team. We have plenty of talent in attack and can score from anywhere and have a solid forward pack. Just need to be better at managing games. Moses is the key. He needs to become a top line number 7.

Gronk

Staff member
But I disagree with our style of football, our defence which can be very soft on occasions and the fact that we really are a dumb team that do the 1%ers very poorly. After 6 season you would hope they would have those sorts of things covered. How many times do we just not turn up in games??? It happens far too often for us ever to be genuine contenders.

I reckon the amount of games we didn't turn up you can count on one hand. Hell even the Roosters lost a bunch after the bye. You claim that we do the 1%er poorly yet we are in the top 3 tries scored this year (Sivo 1st with tries), 2nd in the all run meters, 1st in the offloads, 3rd in try assists (our 7 is first individually). The negative is that we are 1st with handling errors. Extrapolate that and we are a f**king gun side when we hold those passes.

#glasshalffull

IFR33K

Coach
I reckon the amount of games we didn't turn up you can count on one hand. Hell even the Roosters lost a bunch after the bye. You claim that we do the 1%er poorly yet we are in the top 3 tries scored this year (Sivo 1st with tries), 2nd in the all run meters, 1st in the offloads, 3rd in try assists (our 7 is first individually). The negative is that we are 1st with handling errors. Extrapolate that and we are a f**king gun side when we hold those passes.

#glasshalffull

We are that friggen far from being a gun side it ain’t funny. We’ve won f all on the road, and struggled against the top 8 teams. We should consider ourselves lucky we had a favourable draw this year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So now his performance prior to his last re-signing will be considered? He's already taken us from the finals to a spoon, and been re-signed. Why shouldn't we sign him for another two years if the pattern repeats?
Good question. Let's review the last two years in detail and make a decision based on that. What were the specific factors that influenced our performance over the last two years?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We are that friggen far from being a gun side it ain’t funny. We’ve won f all on the road, and struggled against the top 8 teams. We should consider ourselves lucky we had a favourable draw this year.
We arent Melbourne or the Roosters, but we are a good side that does a lot of things well.

Gronk

Staff member
LOL the best sledge you merkins can come up with these days is that we cant win the comp.

Gronk

Staff member
We arent Melbourne or the Roosters, but we are a good side that does a lot of things well.
qrAkdTQAMC3QXkwAqgn8DDnrDMwf_F-nrCyVqSN5Alvfo0F7f1CSpaISy3h0YRfwOCDMMyvMj1-F-VkbJDz9NNPFY5Ur-rRh9oN7SwwqeX6h98KVeJPJyAdL2iPj-uwtzXq5Rw18uQvHcTWcaRApmSRZ=w417-h353

Good question. Let's review the last two years in detail and make a decision based on that. What were the specific factors that influenced our performance over the last two years?
None of us know. The point is that a coach should not only be judged on his performance since his last contract renewal. Obviously the more recent years are more important but that doesn't make earlier years irrelevant.