What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Crashtest

Juniors
it was a pretty significant achievement given how poor our offence was.

He was also number 1 at the club for most run metres for the season. And 2nd for average run metres per game. Both also impressive. But the team still needs more from the fullback in attack than that to beat the better teams.

The best fullbacks all have high tackle busts and run metres, but they also have speed, footwork and ball playing.

franklin2323

Immortal
He was also number 1 at the club for most run metres for the season. And 2nd for average run metres per game. Both also impressive. But the team still needs more from the fullback in attack than that to beat the better teams.

The best fullbacks all have high tackle busts and run metres, but they also have speed, footwork and ball playing.

We also had the most drop outs. Neither stat changed the fact we couldn't score inside the 20

martielang

Bench

Not sure our set-up or structure helped Edwards in any way though. A bit of unpredictability around the ruck & through the halves should give Edwards a bit room which should benefit the side. Barrett's acquisition could be a masterstroke.

That isn't ideal at all. Ideal would be both on the field.

I don’t get the Luai at 14 idea.

To me he was pretty poor coming off the bench. He’d come on and try to do too much in his short time. Plus his service at of dummy half was slow.

He’s a half first and foremost, maybe he could be converted into another spot, but his defence would need to dramatically improve.

OldPanther

Coach
I don’t get the Luai at 14 idea.

To me he was pretty poor coming off the bench. He’d come on and try to do too much in his short time. Plus his service at of dummy half was slow.

He’s a half first and foremost, maybe he could be converted into another spot, but his defence would need to dramatically improve.

Honestly I think he will leave if they put him on the bench like Alice is suggesting. He has been patient and likely promised the spot when Maloney left. On top of that a desperate club will come and offer him big money due to lack of great halves in the game.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Honestly I think he will leave if they put him on the bench like Alice is suggesting. He has been patient and likely promised the spot when Maloney left. On top of that a desperate club will come and offer him big money due to lack of great halves in the game.

I understand your point. Is Burton because of his height and filling out going to be another Wade Graham ? Eventually transition to the backrow.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
if we are after a 5/8, than Wighton will be a great addition. I just cant see anything happening with Luai, his style breaks up the structure. But before all that I think we need at least 2 Props and a Centre.

Abacus

Juniors
if we are after a 5/8, than Wighton will be a great addition. I just cant see anything happening with Luai, his style breaks up the structure. But before all that I think we need at least 2 Props and a Centre.
Re Luai's style, Preston was of a similar ilk but he was able to also play within the team's structure. It's up to the coach to teach Luai the importance of structure. Then Luai & Cleary to identify when opportunity is available to play outside the structure.

Wighton isn’t the right 5/8 to play with Cleary. He’s a ball runner just like Cleary, we need someone with a passing game.

Re Luai's style, Preston was of a similar ilk but he was able to also play within the team's structure. It's up to the coach to teach Luai the importance of structure. Then Luai & Cleary to identify when opportunity is available to play outside the structure.

Yep, and Preston & Gower worked well together because they were different. Cleary is very similar to Gower in style.

Luai I’m sure is capable of dialling the dancing back a bit, and when he does he’s exactly what we need. Someone who can play what’s in front of them.

People are judging Luai too much on this year where he played off the bench, as starting 5/8 and as a centre. That’s just in FG. In reserves he played some 7. You can’t grow as a footy player being changed around like that. Give him a decent run at 5/8 and he’ll be right.

Wade already looked like a backrower at burtons age. It would be possible to fill him out to play in the forwards but I think he will play out his career in the backline.

Two years ago Burton was playing on the wing. He looks very quick, so any change to the forwards is a long way away.

If Luai nails down the 5/8 role I’d be looking at Burton for a centre spot. He’s close enough in then to still do some ball playing.

Edwards/Staines
Naden/Chricton
Burton
*hopefully a signing*
To’o
Luai
Cleary

age.s

First Grade
we will be playing roosters round 1 at home, saturday 7:30 pm

Best time to play them imo. They've started seasons (relatively) slowly in the past.

Then again you could almost certainly say the same about us.

Fangs

Coach
Too bad, I have really enjoyed the Parra v Penrith derbys at the start of recent seasons. Even though we were f**king deplorable in the 2019 instalment. Wouldn't have had a problem with us moving it to Bankwest. You can understand Eels/Dogs getting a chance, that will be a sell out crowd.

7.30pm means we avoid the early season heat round 1. And its against the premiers. Not a massive downgrade.