What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Travitoh

First Grade
Id take him in a heartbeat,inconsistent he may be but he is a winner and a gamechanger, tell me who is better on the market? And who better to replace GI, come on boys talent costs suck it up

You do raise some valid points.

I don't know if i would call Latrell Mitchell a winner but he definitely is a game breaker. He is also someone who has gone of the boil twice in his short career. His outstanding games are elite but his poor games are bush just like his attitude can be and Souths don't have the team to carry a bad Mitchell performance.

He probably is the best centre on the market and it does cost money to attract talent. Souths don't need a centre though. Burns, Roberts and Gagai/Graham are all good first grade options. Souths need an experienced middle forward leader and potentially a 6 beyond 2020 imo. Even a FB or 7 should one good enough come onto the market.

With that in mind, i don't believe going out and signing Mitchell for $1m is a good thing for South Sydney. Especially when there is no guarentee that Sam's salary will be wiped from the salary cap.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's the article from the Daily Telegraph about Cody,

Former NSW five-eighth Cody Walker may be forced out of Redfern with his asking price considerably higher than what South Sydney are prepared to pay.
Walker’s management team believe their client is worth between $850,000 and $900,000 a year – that’s around $200,000 to $250,000 more than the Rabbitohs plan to offer him.
The Daily Telegraph has been told Souths players and management respect Walker – they claim he is “immensely popular” – and want him to stay.
But the club has a set price in mind – around $650,000 a season – and won’t budge too far from that figure.
No official offer has yet been lodged by Souths with Walker not off contract until the end of next season.
It is understood Souths and Walker’s manager, Matt Rose, have opened preliminary discussions.
While being respectful to Walker, the Rabbitohs have made it clear the club will not pay $850,000 to $900,000 a season for the PM XIII and Country five-eighth.
The $200,000 to $250,000 a-year gap between Walker’s asking price and Souths offer may be difficult to overcome in negotiations.
Souths would look to play gun utility Adam Doueihi at five-eighth should Walker leave. Doueihi transformed into a super fullback throughout last season.
Gold Coast continues to be linked with Walker but neither Rose nor the Titans have confirmed any official contact.
Walker was South Sydney’s stand-in captain last season when Sam Burgess was unavailable. With Burgess and John Sutton now retired, Walker would be a strong option to lead Souths in 2020.
With the NRL’s November 1 deadline having now passed, clubs can make formal offers to players who come off contract after next season.
Walker has a strong start and finish to the 2019 season but his confidence appeared to fall when dropped from the NSW side after Origin I.
If Walker can secure the contract he wants, Souths would reluctantly allow him to walk way. Should Walker sign a big money deal elsewhere for 2021, there could be a push for the player to leave immediately.
Walker turns 30 in January with this expected to be his final contract in the NRL.
On October 14, The Daily Telegraph reported that Walker was hoping for “a rich three-year contract extension at South Sydney worth $2.55 million.”
The story also stated that two rival clubs would be prepared to pay as much as $900,000 a season to lure the star from Souths.

CliveC

Juniors
Fearless prediction.
After the bulldust has settled.
Mitchell will be in red,white and blue.
Cody to the Tits and end his short career in nowhere land?
Forget that one too,captain of Souths beckons hello!

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Fearless prediction.
After the bulldust has settled.
Mitchell will be in red,white and blue.
Cody to the Tits and end his short career in nowhere land?
Forget that one too,captain of Souths beckons hello!
Mitchell to Souths, Walker decides to accept new deal and Reynolds named captain. That's my prediction.

handyman2190

Bench
Ill put it out there that having a coach that spends so much time away with rep teams at this time of the year isnt good.
I know richo said we weren't interested in mitchel but i think thats BS we need to replace GI and roberts isnt in the same ballpark. They are probably worried about getting sams money cleared before signing, at this stage we have lost 2 backrowers and we need to replace them first.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ill put it out there that having a coach that spends so much time away with rep teams at this time of the year isnt good.
I know richo said we weren't interested in mitchel but i think thats BS we need to replace GI and roberts isnt in the same ballpark. They are probably worried about getting sams money cleared before signing, at this stage we have lost 2 backrowers and we need to replace them first.

Disagree with this. Having a coach that coaches a rep team also gives him pull when it comes to signing English based players.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Disagree with this. Having a coach that coaches a rep team also gives him pull when it comes to signing English based players.
I think we all jumped the gun with James Roberts. When he came down, he was injured. Probably should have sat the season out. I think his injury has now healed and next year Jimmy The Jet will be scoring tries left right and centre. It's actually good when a coach is away from the team for awhile. He refreshes and players aren't getting over familiar with him, which in my view is the worst thing that can happen. I'm just going to relax and wait on salary cap news, signings, injuries, reps and enjoy my before Christmas period. The rest will look after itself.

callmack1

Staff member
To me, it seems that Latrell has his heart set on going to the Cowboys. I don't think will get him but really hope I'm wrong. There are some that claim to have good sources and they seemed convinced we'll sign him but I just can't see it sadly.

We are also all forgetting that from memory, Latrell said himself this year that he wouldn't come to Souths because of comparisons to GI. Like I say, I really hope I'm wrong.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
To me, it seems that Latrell has his heart set on going to the Cowboys. I don't think will get him but really hope I'm wrong. There are some that claim to have good sources and they seemed convinced we'll sign him but I just can't see it sadly.

We are also all forgetting that from memory, Latrell said himself this year that he wouldn't come to Souths because of comparisons to GI. Like I say, I really hope I'm wrong.
It is starting to look unconvincing, but my fingers are crossed he joins us. I can't see this G. I problem with him is a problem. The Bulldogs started all this crap with him offering money that will ruin his career altogether. Wests are no hope and Latrell himself know he's only a second choice up at Cowboys, because they want Val Holmes and if they can't get him they will go in for Latrell. I won't be writing Souths off that's for sure. But before hand, I'm pretty sure Wayne Bennett will want to talk to him a couple of times.

CliveC

Juniors
And won't shatter the bank you'd think.
Not looking forward to Cody playing against Souths,his ability to destroy his opponents is well known,you don't score 16 tries,set up another 16 etc. without some freakish ability.
I look forward to Dewey killing it again at f.b.btw

Nortonuser

Juniors
Not looking forward to Cody playing against Souths,his ability to destroy his opponents is well known,you don't score 16 tries,set up another 16 etc. without some freakish ability.
I look forward to Dewey killing it again at f.b.btw
Neither do I but I think $600K is tops IMO and he has proved in the past that if he is after an upgraded contract his heart will not be in it so I would let him go now.