What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'd make sure I kept Cody. We can't replace him.
I agree Pete, there are 2-3 better 5/8 options but of course they won’t leave where they are playing right now and we can’t just replace a very good player like Cody, personally I thought 700k would be very fair but no more, seems Souths don’t wanna go above 650k which is fair enough I guess as Cody did drop off somewhat second half of this season and wasn’t quite as consistent.

Re Reynolds I worry he may only have 1-2 years left due to his back so yeah I think it’s pivotal we hold Cody.

Have you seen young Blake Ta’affe play Pete? Give him a year or two to get better in CC and I reckon he could be the guy to take Reynos jersey when Reynolds is done. This Ta’affe kid can play based on what I’ve seen.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
I agree Pete, there are 2-3 better 5/8 options but of course they won’t leave where they are playing right now and we can’t just replace a very good player like Cody, personally I thought 700k would be very fair but no more, seems Souths don’t wanna go above 650k which is fair enough I guess as Cody did drop off somewhat second half of this season and wasn’t quite as consistent.

Re Reynolds I worry he may only have 1-2 years left due to his back so yeah I think it’s pivotal we hold Cody.

Have you seen young Blake Ta’affe play Pete? Give him a year or two to get better in CC and I reckon he could be the guy to take Reynos jersey when Reynolds is done. This Ta’affe kid can play based on what I’ve seen.
Blake is a very good player and goal kicking half like Reno. I think he will be the next No. 7 at the Rabbitohs.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
At what price though, Souths have offered $650k but he wants $850k?
Meet in the middle. If Cody walks away, we are in very serious trouble. We've already lost Inglis, S. Burgess, Sutton, G. Burgess. We can't afford to lose Walker too. Although, if the cap relief isn't done soon, I guess there's very little difference between 12th and 14th. I've got a horrible feeling we're gonna get porked by the NRL again. They know if they don't release the money now, the players we want will put signatures elsewhere. They also know that the infection caused Sam to retire. Einsteins they can't be accused of.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Meet in the middle. If Cody walks away, we are in very serious trouble. We've already lost Inglis, S. Burgess, Sutton, G. Burgess. We can't afford to lose Walker too. Although, if the cap relief isn't done soon, I guess there's very little difference between 12th and 14th. I've got a horrible feeling we're gonna get porked by the NRL again. They know if they don't release the money now, the players we want will put signatures elsewhere. They also know that the infection caused Sam to retire. Einsteins they can't be accused of.
Also, Roosters are getting desperate to release Latrell. They are trying to shop off to that new Toronto Wolves club. They don't want to pay $650K for a North's player. Hang in there Latrell, they will buckle.

southsport

First Grade
Cody's been given an ultimatum and I don't know if Richo will budge, the problem is that if Cody stays for $650k I'm not sure how much effort he will put in, maybe it's best if he leaves?

Hi Rabb20
Had a quick read (re Cody) in this morning's tele while down at my local Coles....basically what the boys are saying that he has to make decision sooner rather than later about money.....was interesting also to read in same article that Bennett will meet with Arrow's manager this week
Thats probably why the ''push'' on Cody,so they can move on Arrow

handyman2190

Bench
Hi Rabb20
Had a quick read (re Cody) in this morning's tele while down at my local Coles....basically what the boys are saying that he has to make decision sooner rather than later about money.....was interesting also to read in same article that Bennett will meet with Arrow's manager this week
Thats probably why the ''push'' on Cody,so they can move on Arrow
Already got Arrow its mitchellwe are trying to get in now

Rabbits20

Immortal
apparently Arrow has been done for a couple of weeks it was just sorting the finer details of the deal out.

Fifita is interesting because he originally told the Broncos he was resigning with them but has changed his mind on making a decision.
We are waiting though to see if we get cap relief for Sam if we do then we will push for a 2020 release for Arrow.

Yeah as I said above the fact Fifita is likely to hold off on a decision til new year gives us a bit more hope.

We are waiting though to see if we get cap relief for Sam if we do then we will push for a 2020 release for Arrow.

Yeah as I said above the fact Fifita is likely to hold off on a decision til new year gives us a bit more hope.
Paul Crawley , The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only
December 3, 2019 7:16am

As South Sydney prepare to ramp up negotiations with boom young forward Jai Arrow this week, star five-eighth Cody Walker’s future at the club is also reaching a critical stage.

Stopping short of putting a deadline on the 29-year-old who has been offered a two-year extension for 2021-22, Rabbitohs’ general manager of football Shane Richardson conceded the club would like a decision “sooner rather than later”.

Souths put the extension to Walker several weeks ago but so far the negotiations have not moved forward.

5e18cbbebeb97f94fbf5292af05a3af4?width=10241024×576

Walker appears to be waiting for Souths’ offer to go up. Photo: Phil Hillyard

It is understood Walker’s management have indicated the current offer of a reported $650,000-a-season is way below what they had in mind, which was more around the $850,000-a-season mark.

“We made an offer three weeks ago and we are waiting to hear back from his manager,” Richardson said.

“We haven’t got a deadline on it yet but we’d rather know sooner rather than later.”

The ramifications could be significant in respect to the Rabbitohs’ future planning given Walker is also a contender to take over as captain.

Walker is in a three-way battle with Adam Reynolds and Test hooker Damien Cook for the top job.

df0e79facd1cadf0ab726e59877e954c?width=10241024×576

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett is still shaping his 2020 side. Photo: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Wayne Bennett has indicated he will wait until after Christmas to make a call on the captaincy issue but it would seem logical Walker would be automatically ruled out unless he was committed to the club long term.

The decision could also impact Adam Doueihi’s future role if Walker was to leave.

While Doueihi is currently being groomed to play fullback next season, he played most of his juniors at five-eighth and could just as easily be positioned to be Reynolds’ long term halves partner.

Richardson was adamant Walker’s decision would have no bearing on whether he played out the final year of his contract in 2020.

“He is part of our team next year and we don’t want him going anywhere else,” Richardson said.

“We also want him as a part of our team the year after. We just have to wait and see.”

94944a5fad3d25d3db4830660a2e4c2d?width=10241024×576

Doueihi will also be affected by Walker’s decision. Photo: AAP Image/Joel Carrett

Meanwhile, Richardson is expected to meet with Arrow’s agent David Riolo in the coming days.

Neither Richardson or Riolo would comment about that although it’s no secret the Rabbitohs have identified Arrow as the man they want to take over from Sam Burgess.

While the Titans don’t want to lose Arrow, the Rabbitohs are desperate to get the 24-year-old and they are planning to make an offer as soon as they get the green light from the NRL in respect to how Sam Burgess’ medically forced retirement will impact their salary cap.

If the Rabbitohs get the full freight for Burgess’ $1 million contract back on their cap, that would make it almost impossible for the Gold Coast to compete with.

3f61f77f3a7bbff47d335a5dce97f034?width=10241024×576

Jai Arrow is next on the Rabbitohs’ to-do list. Photo: Adam Head

Arrow was blooded at the Brisbane Broncos under Bennett before moving to the Titans.

He has since developed into one of the game’s best young forwards with a tremendous work ethic on and off the field and a reputation that can’t be faulted.

While he doesn’t yet have Burgess’ huge profile just yet, Arrow is seen as exactly the type of player the Bunnies would like to build their future around along with the likes of Walker, Cook, Reynolds and Cameron Murray.

Like Walker, Arrow is also contracted for next year but an early release could possibly be negotiated if he was to sign with Souths and the Titans upped their interest in Latrell Mitchell.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport

Latest posts