What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Panthers - 4pm Sat 29 Feb 2020 - Bega Recreation Ground

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
More often than not a back up who's all heart and motor is a much better option than a back up with a little bit more skill. After all, they're all reserve graders for a reason, but a guy like Stone who puts in everything is going to be better at handling the pace of the game.

He's not a hooker but he's worth keeping as a reserve forward
I'd say its probably easier to get improvements from the guy with more skill than it is the guy who's all heart and motor (and no motor skills).

Glenneel

Bench
I didn't.

Metres gained were even throughout the game, and despite the territory advantage that the Panthers enjoyed, they managed to score only 4 tries.

I'm not saying we were perfect, and I'm not saying we will be leaving the Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles, etc. shaking in their boots after this performance, but we matched the Penrith pack, imo, and had no injuries - so I am happy.
Penrith pack was missing 2 big players, Kikau would have terrorised our right edge.

Glenneel

Bench
It's a trial.
Trial form from every team has always been average for as long as I can remember.
It's amusing how seriously so many take matches like this.
I enjoyed it for the spectacle, the chance to see the Eels in action, the chance to see some of our back up squad and the fact that it gave the local community a huge boost this afternoon.
Great effort from all involved to take this game to Bega.
You look at a trial to get a gauge on how they are going to perform in real games, attack poor, defence worse. Biggest disappointment to me was defence and absolutely NOTHING changed there from last year. We might come 4th but not progress far in finals unless FIXED, same cannon fodder for the top teams as last year.

Do you want Brad Arthur as Coach ?

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd say its probably easier to get improvements from the guy with more skill than it is the guy who's all heart and motor (and no motor skills).

I'd say past about the age of 23 you're not getting remarkable improvement from either

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our inability to turn attackers on to their backs in the tackle was situation normal. Often the attacker was playing the ball before defenders were away from the ruck. Situation normal.
Our premership hopes depend on improved defensive technique.
It's not so much a matter of technique as about getting numbers into the tackle. That requires a lot of hard workers in the middle, rather than fat forwards. It's why the Roosters and Raiders both played in the grand final last year despite having small packs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
More often than not a back up who's all heart and motor is a much better option than a back up with a little bit more skill. After all, they're all reserve graders for a reason, but a guy like Stone who puts in everything is going to be better at handling the pace of the game.

He's not a hooker but he's worth keeping as a reserve forward
They're also not going to come in and be given big responsibilities in attack. They just need to not be a weak link in defence.

Bazal

Post Whore
Most players improve after the age of 23. I just presented a more obvious example of a guy with skill (and limited heart and motor).

No, you presented a guy who came to the game at a late age with a high athletic base line.

Sivo has been playing for like six years or something. It's much more likely he improves later as opposed to someone who's been playing since he was 8 years old. Because he's coming from a different point in his learning

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Have to say I was wrong about Salmon being a centre. He looked much more comfortable in the halves than he did at centre yesterday and was decent in the trial against the rabbits.

84 Baby

Referee
It's not so much a matter of technique as about getting numbers into the tackle. That requires a lot of hard workers in the middle, rather than fat forwards. It's why the Roosters and Raiders both played in the grand final last year despite having small packs.
Rorters don’t even commit that many, nor do they have generally great technique. What they have is the best ethic, goal line defence and, by a long way, transition to defence.