What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye friz

Walpole

Juniors
Can't blame him at all.

The Knights have a genuine forward leader in Klemmer, a premiership winning halfback in Pearce, a genuine match winner in Ponga and a new coach who'se done time under Bellamy and Robinson.

Newcastle are far more likely to win a comp than we are in the next three years.

Crush

Coach
Good luck Frizz. Great competitor. Done the jersey proud. Greener pastures. Better team environment. Better coaching unknown yet but I like how their coach speaks over our hypnotist...so I will say better coaching. And of course better football staff and management. That covers it...but worse location...the Gong is better.
Wollongong and Newcastle are pretty similar as far as living locations go I would presume. I visited Newcastle last year for a few days and thought it was pretty cool. Good beaches, nice vibe. They have a light rail.
The Gong is also obviously nice albeit maybe less vibrant?

Generalzod

Immortal
Mate, 700k could end up making him the highest paid player in the brave new world
Life I’m for players making money and good on him for getting it, but announcing this while a million of people are being let go, thousands line up at Centrelink. NRL players where told to take a pay cut which is understandable in the current climate they still better off than those people who lining up in centrelink.

matPORTS

Juniors
Not sure how this has been allowed to leak based on the events of the past few days.

No chance of any contract being registered at the moment.

However, regardless, Frizell will very likely be moving on in the wash up of everything currently happening with the game. There is going to be a serious re-distribution of talent right across the board on the back of all this.

thebigredv

First Grade
Not sure how this has been allowed to leak based on the events of the past few days.

No chance of any contract being registered at the moment.

However, regardless, Frizell will very likely be moving on in the wash up of everything currently happening with the game. There is going to be a serious re-distribution of talent right across the board on the back of all this.

Absolutely. Not worth getting too upset because it's likely to be a different game altogether on return. Perfect time for poaching.

It's a shame that McGregor and 'talent' are not synonymous.

George Dragon

Juniors
Dragons update - Tyson Frizell
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 27 Mar 2020, 10:07 AM
St George Illawarra have provided the following update on off-contract back-rower Tyson Frizell, who has advised the club he has agreed to terms with another NRL club.

"Tyson Frizell received one of the most substantial offers in St George Illawarra history to remain at the club beyond the 2020 season," Director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said.

"It was a deal that reflected his contribution over the past eight years, and of course, the seasons that would have followed. We made responsible decisions when determining Tyson's value and contract extension.

"Tyson's decision to depart the Dragons at season's end will now allow the club to pursue other quality players in the marketplace."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/03/27/dragons-update-frizell/

Old Timer

Coach
Smart of Frizz to try and lock his new deal in place before all the shit hits the fan re club finances.
Anyone who started negotiations before the season postponement will be in a far better position than those afterwards.
Sad to see him go but no doubt some clueless morons in here will find something nasty & negative to say about him just like others that have gone before him.
Knowing our lot they will resign JDB on a big contract before his court case and forget to put any get out caveats on it.

sa1nt5

Juniors
https://t.co/5heIiDqje1
Much of what you say may well be true. But I cannot see player managers suing anyone. Every contract has Force Majeure provisions (unforeseeable contract disrupting circumstances). My unprofessional opinion is the Corona virus is a pretty major force Majeure event. Suing would be a waste of their time and money.

also a waste of reputation. Sue and if successful, grab a payout, successful or not that’s it for career.

Kylez3

Juniors
Friz was good for us but he is just a solid edge backrower, no more than that. He isn't fast and has zero ball playing ability.

In saying that, he's one hell of a competitor. I'm sure the JdB situation remained a factor in his decision. Blame Mary if you mugs want, and you will, but it's a better salary cap decision to let him walk.

Somebody like Elliot Whitehard or Alex Glenn should be classified as solid back rowers. Watch Frizzell play for New South Wales or Australia and see what he is capable of. It certainly is Mary's fault.

Fair point regarding his ball playing ability though.

sa1nt5

Juniors
Quite ironic he's gone to the knights where they are.

We're headed to where they were.

Kudos management.
Yet another win.
The last decade has been full of them.

I have lived in Brissie since they joined the comp.
The last couple of seasons have actually started drawing me closer to them which is truly astonishing given the utter contempt i held them in for all of that time. Most of the big names are gone which has taken much of the dick out of them.

We really are rooted aren't we.
Sad.
Wash your mouth out, gimme the gong any day I lived on corrimal st, now I too also live in the shithole known as Brisbane, just a block from Suncorp stadium, I run into kevvie while wearing my Dragons gear all the time, we just eyeball each other, but never could I consider donning that puke coloured jersey, back in a minute I gotta go vomit.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Dragons update - Tyson Frizell
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 27 Mar 2020, 10:07 AM
St George Illawarra have provided the following update on off-contract back-rower Tyson Frizell, who has advised the club he has agreed to terms with another NRL club.

"Tyson Frizell received one of the most substantial offers in St George Illawarra history to remain at the club beyond the 2020 season," Director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward said.

"It was a deal that reflected his contribution over the past eight years, and of course, the seasons that would have followed. We made responsible decisions when determining Tyson's value and contract extension.

"Tyson's decision to depart the Dragons at season's end will now allow the club to pursue other quality players in the marketplace."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/03/27/dragons-update-frizell/

by “quality players” they mean reserve grade players from another team, or an over 30s hack from the super league

I actually am disappointed in this one for many reasons.
1. Timing, with what is going on in the world at present there are plenty of stressed & anxious people who don't need more unsettling news and if your a Dragons fan as we all are this just adds to the shit pile (poor timing from all). NRL should step in and ensure zero player decisions around new contracts until a designated date.
2. Contracts for next season and beyond could possibly be shaped in accordance with new Salary cap structure. He might be moving for a significantly reduced figure.
3. In unsettling times do you really want to uproot your family and lifestyle and move.
4. Friz is a massive loss to us more from a leadership point of view and off the field he is a clean cut individual. A great role model for the Club to showcase.
5. Yes we can enter the player market however besides David Fifita there aren't too many high profile players off contract at the end of this year. We wont replace him.
6. Absolutely loved Mary as a player for both the Steelers and then the Dragons. Unfortunately his legacy is now not as a fantastic player it is as a Shithouse Coach. Way too many quality players have decided to leave us over the past decade and Mary has a massive part to play in that.
7. Our top office is also shithouse and need a massive turnaround in positive, proactive Leadersip that reflects and aligns with 2020 and not 1982.
Feel free to list items 8-20.

Latest posts